Advice about just strength training

Options
1a1a
1a1a Posts: 761 Member
I got this routine from an awesome mffriend of mine who is studying to be a PT.

Warmup: 1min walking, 1 min jogging, 1 min jogging with high knees, 1 minute butt kicks, 1 minute star jumps
Dumbbell flyes 3x10 (if this is too easy you may need heavier weights)
Pushups 3x10
Squats 3x10
Skipping 5 minutes (put cardio in the middle to keep heart rate up)
Burpees 3x10
Deadlift 3x10
DB Bench Press 3x10
Static stretching for 5 minutes.

On my most lazy and demotivated days though, I find I can compel myself to do the strength stuff, but I just can't bothered with the cardio. My questions are, can I get the benefits of strength training still if I skip the skipping and burpees and stick to marching and moving my arms for the warm up?

Also, are there any other random strength moves I ought to add to that routine? Currently lifting 3k.

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Go heavier if you are still cutting fat.
    Check out Stronglifts 5x5 and simplify things.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    PS: when you deadlift 2x your body weight you wont ever need cardio.
    It gets the blood pumping just fine.
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Options
    There is no compound exercises for shoulders and the volume is geared towards hypertrophy, thus you can expect size but not real strength as you will be lifting about 60-80% of your RM.

I'd skip all the cardio if your diet is in check and stay with a proper routine such as SS, PHAT or All Pros.
  • jcmk87
    Options
    PS: when you deadlift 2x your body weight you wont ever need cardio.
    It gets the blood pumping just fine.

You never need cardio to get in shape...
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    First, I'd recommend you find a split that works for you if you're not going to do an actual program; before I started 5/3/1 i would split my workouts into upper and lower body days. Also, your reps seem a bit high, you may want to cut them down to no more than six reps per set at higher weights.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    After my first set of widowmakers I gave up cardio for good.
    Yikes!
  • 1a1a
    Options
    Can any of you fine folk recommend places where I can find routines such as the ones you recommend? (Thank you very much for the replies by the way).

I've only got one limitation, no gym access.

Heading more in the direction of strength than size would make me very happy :-) (mostly because I want to be able to lift things).
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    www.stronglifts.com Download the report and read it.
  • jcmk87
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com
  • 1a1a
    Options
    Trying Jamie Eason for now......most of these require gym equipment though, am I likely to be able to find substitute moves that tax the same muscles?

Edit: Looks like I'll need heavier weights to get the most out of stronglift
  • 1a1a
    Options
    If I were to tweak the routine I have already to go more strength less bulk, would that simply be a matter of lifting more, with less repetition?