Getting exercise started is uhm difficult

Options
I have been trying to exercise but mostly log in activities I have been doing before this journey (eg. cleaning, playing with the kids, etc).

I also jumped on my Orbitrek a few times but because of me being extremely unfit and my chest feeling like a ball of fire after 2 minutes on there I see it as a mountain when I decide to get on it.

This is just me having a moan session so be gentle, but it is seriously not a joke to get those fitness levels up.

I love healthy food so that was just about learning what is good and bad for you but getting fit is something totally different.

Obviously there is no shortcuts but is the elliptical trainer the best way to start? I wanted to do walking but it is not to safe to walk in my work area and when I get home I have the kids to check. Oh and I can not take the kids for a walk cause my 1 year old will want to be on the road so that's not an option.

Yes most of this seem like excuses but I just want to know that I am not the only one starting out like this and feeling like I am never going to get to the stage of being super fit.

Replies

• 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    When I still hated exercise, I found some basic aerobics DVD in my local video rental store and used that a bit. I haven't been able to find it online but this looks similar http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2237535924076693510 This is enough to get you moving, but not totally strenuous and exhausting. Once you feel like this is getting easy, look up some other aerobics vids, faster tempos and more jumping up and down will mean a more intense work out, you don't have to go hard straight away though.

Edit: I've never used an elliptical but they sound pretty exhausting. Use it it you can hack it, don't if it's going to put you off of exercising. Walking is also a totally awesome starting place.
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Its very difficult when you first start out. I started slow and building up.
    What about a jogging stroller for your 1 year old or a wagon so he cant run on the road.
    and something like the wii fit or x-box kinect might be good for you, its a fun and easy way to get exercise in that dosnt kill you.

good luck and just keep on going slowly and it will get easier.
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    WII fit works a treat to get going, and the kids will love it too.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I don't see you make excuses. This is the reality of your life. If you can't find activities or options that fit into the reality of your life, then you won't be able to maintain it for an extended perios of time.

I know exactly how you feel. The first time I worked out with my trainer, I wanted to die. My chest hurt, I could barely breathe and I got so red faced that she was actually scared I was going to have a heart attack. The key is to take a minute or 2 to rest and regain your breathing but then continue. Don't stop completely and walk away. That first time, I stopped every 5 minutes to get some water and calm my racing heart but I continued until I needed to stop again. That's the only way you will build up your stamina and improve your cardio health. You should also get some small dumbells. I started with 5 pound ones. At least 2 times each week, you should do compound exercises with them ( for example: squat while curling the dumbells). Building muscle also helps to make you stronger.

Trust me... if you don't give up, it does get easier. I cna now do the entire hour with my trainer and I only stop 2-3 times for water but I don't lose my breath. We've even graduated me to 8 pound dumbells and 5 pound akle weights to keep me challenged. Feel free to add me as a friend and reach out any time you need some support. It's so hard to get on that right track but you can do it!!!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I get up at 5. If I can't get outside, I will walk the stairs, jog in place, pace the hallway, whatever it takes to get movement. I'll do Wii exercises, videos. Find something that is at all interesting to you and enjoyable so you are motivated to keep it up!
  • cajungirl355
    Options
    I have been using Leslie Sansone's walking dvds and they are great. You don't have to leave your home to do these exercises. You can purchase them at Wal-Mart or on her website. You do not need any special equipment. You can do 15 minutes at a time if that's all the time you have. They are absolutely wonderful. Good luck!!
  • AdiposeRapture
    Options
    Im sure this will sound super lame but things like Sweating to the Oldies with Richard Simmons always gets me a little more into it because its amusing. The guy cracks me up, so following along is fun, plus, its not strenuous and doesn't leave you gasping for breath in agony.
    I also do Xbox Kinect dance games and tried Yoga Booty Ballet (which is super NOT easy at all, so I wouldnt start out with that!!)
    What about yoga? Yoga is such a great way to get started. I like the Sun Salutation, its a series of 12 poses in a row, 12 times. Its a workout!!! But it feels good, really good.

*I just googled this for instruction and it has a little cartoon guy doing the moves :P I book marked this site because there are a lot of Yoga poses there*
    http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/yogapractice/sunsalutation.asp
  • TheOnlyPink
    TheOnlyPink Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am exactly where you are right now. My eating is perfect, i rarely stray off plan. But i find it very difficult to get going with exercise. I am a stay at home mom and find it hard to find the time. I live in ireland so the weather is often not good enough to get out for a walk. I am also the queen of excuses.

I am trying to do at least 15 mins of an exercise dvd every day. I'm going to keep doing 15 mins for a month cos they say it takes 30 days to build a habit dont they? and once it becomes a habit, i will increase the time by ten mins every few weeks so i dont shock myself! I can do anything for 15 mins right? and luckily, alot of the kids tv shows are about 20 mins! lol!

Please feel free to add me as a friend, maybe we can motivate each other! Good luck!
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Do you just have the one child? What about a carrier? I put my 1 yo in my handmade Mei tai carrier and walk. I get the added benefit of the extra 23 lbs I'm lugging too. Now, Im a seamstress by trade, so making one was easy for me, and I only spent 20 bucks on the materials, but if you can find a used one on eBay, any carrier will work.
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing that I can suggest is find something that you enjoy doing. If you don't like it, especially with having such a hectic schedule, you won't do it. You will find an excuse. I'm like you. I work full time, I have two children, a hubby, house, two dogs, a cat, four fish and a turtle to take care of. There is NEVER enough time in the day to get everything done that you want to. But that's the key. You have to WANT to. I started out with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred. From warm up to cool down, it's less than 30 minutes. When I first started, I told myself that after EVERYTHING else that I do, I DESERVED 30 minutes out of every day to try to become the person I want to be. It was fun, it was quick, and it worked. Since starting my journey, I have lost 63 pounds. I am now a member of a gym that I attend at least 4 days a week. I found that the more I worked out, the more energy I had. And all of a sudden, I wasn't exhausted all of the time. I had time to come home, do homework with my daughter, make dinner, straighten up, play outside with the kids and dogs and still have "me" time. I get more done now than I did before when I had LESS time to work with.... LOL

You CAN do it. It's just a matter of finding what works for you! If you like the elliptical, and today you can only do 8 minutes - promise yourself that tomorrow, you'll go 8 and a half. Don't try to push yourself too much, but do push! You are capable of much more than you think!!! Feel free to friend me! Good Luck to ya honey. :happy:
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I throw my 1 year old (almost 2) in a stroller, my 6 year old rides her bike and we all go for a walk around our neighbourhood between the big kid getting off the bus and dinnertime. She has to do her homework while I am making tea but it works for us. Other days I have an exercise bike so I will do an hour at a low resistance and fast pace. I also found a friend that I walk with fairly often at night, - we put the kids to bed, I leave my husband in charge and I take off for an hour's walk and chat with my friend. That was some great exercise for a while, even in the dark.

Another option like others have suggested, is dvds online. I think 30DS is on youtube, so you could start there, just modify anything too difficult and build strength.

I also gave myself a challenge for April. Even if I did no other "official" exercise, i've done some pushups every day. I wanted to do 500 in April which needed a minimum of 17 or 18 a day but I blew that out of the water and upped it to 1000. It's really easy to just drop and do as many as you can 3 times a day. Yesterday I had written down that I would do 60, and at 10 past 11, I jumped out of bed to do my last 20 because I had forgotten to finish my 3rd set! Even something like that will boost your strength and help build your core muscles.
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    when I first got started on this latest journey to a healthier me, I was at 243 lbs. I didn't feel like I could do ANYTHING! Someone suggested that I dance. Personally I love to dance! So, I'd put in a CD and dance for 10 - 15 mins. No one was around, so I didn't care what I looked like. And in no time, I found myself stretching...throwing my arms high, kicking my legs in all directions...because I knew it would increase my fitness level. Before I knew it, I was dancing for 30-45 minutes and sweating up a storm. I guess you could call it my own form of aerobics. But because I loved the music and was doing my own dance moves, it didn't seem like work.

Eventually I moved on to more structured workouts using DVD's. But I stuck with the dancing programs because that's what I loved (Zumba, Rockin' Body, etc.). It's only been two months, but I'm down 13 lbs and have added 30 min. walks (with a bit of running) to my workouts.

Just find something you enjoy and be consistent with it.
  • MrsDutt
    MrsDutt Posts: 32
    Options
    I have a 1 yea rold and a 3 year old but the 3 year old knows to listen to me so thats not a challenge. I actually have so many workout dvd from the past (before having kids I was working out 5 days a week).

I just can not ever find the tv free unless I do it 22h00 at night. Also if I wake up early my little one wakes up with me (we co-sleep). Wow more excuses :o but I am going to explain to them and the hubby that I need just 30 minutes to do my workout.

I actually have the WII Fit collecting dust in one of the cupboards. Seems like I should get it out and also entertain the kids that way. Yeah I think the elliptical is a bit of a challenge for me right now. The only reason I use it is that it's at work and I can exercise without interuptions at anytime. Perhaps I will bring my dumbells to work and do those squats.

I actually loveddddddd Yoga in the past but now it feels like it doesn't burn any calories (duh I know it does now). I should just calm down and not try to rush this and maybe then it will all come together.
  • eswartz1982
    eswartz1982 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have you considered swimming or taking a class, like yoga or pilates? They may seem like easy things to do, but I've found that doing a class with a good instructor helps, as well as choosing a workout that is a little out of the box helps with getting you back into the swing of working out. Popular classes in my area for yoga are something called 'hot yoga' where the room is really warm and they practice vinyasa yoga, which moves with each breath. While your chest won't be burning the same way as you would with conventional cardio, your muscles get a good workout and the heat helps you loosen up and get into the flow of the workout much easier. Moreover, you feel fantastic afterwards, tired, but totally fantastic, which helps you want to go back again and do the workout.
  • sing4me4you
    sing4me4you Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    When I started exercising many years ago, it took me 4 months to be able to do 20 minutes on the elliptical. Give yourself the time to build up the exercise stamina. The most important thing is to start and keep finding a way to do it. I walked outside at 5:30AM for two years with a friend and had to show up since I could not leave her outside alone at that time of day. After that, I could afford to join a gym and still belong. Good luck and I know you will find a way to succeed.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    Walk Away the Pounds by Leslie Sansone is an at home walking program...many to choose from at Walmart and Target (and Amazon) around 10 bucks usually around 5 one mile walks. Easy to do, don't need a lot of room, 4 basic moves.
    Good luck with your journey!
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    An elliptical is a pretty steep hill to start on, IMO. I say start by walking with some good music, a podcast, or something you like to listen to. If you're tied to the house, I second the Walk Away the Pounds DVDs with Leslie Sansone. They rock! my kids love 'em too. When you are walking more regularly and can do the mile, then add 5 minutes on the Orbitrek. Build your endurance on that up a little at a time. Then work toward the 2 mile, etc.

You can do it!
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    If you can get someone to look after the kids once a week, I highly recommend a team sport to get you back into exercise, that's how I did it! I was hopeless at team sports when I was at school, but I found a netball club near me specifically for women wanting a bit of fitness and fun. It doesn't really feel like exercise because it's so much fun, and playing with other people helps to keep you motivated. Good for the social life too!
    From doing absolutely NO exercise, I started playing netball once a week, then twice a week when our team entered a league, now a year on I'm also kickboxing once or twice a week and training for a 10Km run! Admittedly, I don't have kids so don't have the same time pressures but as others have said before me, there are always ways and means to fit *something* in. After my first netball training session I was POOPED but gradually, my fitness levels improved and I'm now considered 'sporty'!!!!! Never thought I would hear myself described as that!!! Good luck! :)
  • MrsDutt
    MrsDutt Posts: 32
    Options
    Ok so I am going to stay away from the elliptical for a month just to get my fitness levels a tad up and then do the 5 minutes and see how it goes.

lisaamartin1 I also was a hopeless case at school sport but netball with friends was always fun. I just do not have time between work and home so I am going to try the at home dvd's as well as the WII Fit and see how that works for me.

Thanks all.
  • cpbarrett
    cpbarrett Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    It is very difficult to find time. I have two small children, so I know how you feel. Just try to get in what you can, when you can. Some things that you can do around the house- free weights, exercise dvds, chasing the kids out back, jumping jacks, sit-ups, push ups. I've been doing the 30 day shred DVD by Jillian Michaels. It's only about 20-25 minutes long and I've seen some nice results so far. Hope this helps!