Had to recheck the measuring tape! Lifting heavy works!

Options
cartea01
cartea01 Posts: 156 Member
So I started my weight-loss journey in December 2011. I weighed 82.6kg (182 pounds) at 175cm (5'9").
Beforecropped.jpg

Unfortunately I didn't take my measurements until 6 weeks later but I do have some pics.

Jan 28, 2012
Weight: 76.2kg (168lb)
Chest: 98cm (38.6”)
Waist: 79.5cm (31.3”)
Hips: 104cm (41”)
7d704bc6.jpg
259da125.jpg

March 23, 2012
Weight: 72.8kg (160lb)
Chest: 92cm (36.2”)
Waist: 78cm (30.7”)
Hips: 101cm (39.8”)
22ffdc9c.jpg

Between January and March I was eating 1600 net calories a day, doing 4-5, 40 minute sessions of interval cardio training a week. Since my weight loss had slowed and I was close to goal, I decided to try strength training. I bought a copy of New Rules of Lifting for Women and aimed for 3 sessions a week, I also aimed for 7,000-10,000 steps a day with my Fitbit and started eating at a 250cal daily deficit according to what my FitBit calculated for me.

Today my measurements are:
April 24, 2012
Weight: 72.8kg (160lb) - No change
Chest: 91cm (35.8”) – 1cm (0.4”) in a month/ 7cm (2.8”) since January
Waist: 73cm (28.7”) – 5cm (2.0”) in a month/ 6.5cm (2.6”) since January
Hips: 99cm (39”) – 2cm (0.8”) in a month/5cm (2.0”) since January

Just in case you didn’t notice, that's 5cm (2 inches) from my waist in 1 month! Lifting heavy works!
I didn’t get a chance to take any photos this morning, but I’ll update the thread tomorrow with my newest pics!

Replies

• Martucha123
    Martucha123 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    great results!
  • Jonnelle06
    Options
    Badass..If you don't mind me asking what is routine when you lift?
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Wow! You look magnificent! And doesn't that also go to show how little the number on the scale matters!! You weigh the same as last measurements, but those centimetres are GONE! You look incredible. I'd love to also see a picture of you in the same or similar outfit as your middle January photo's and I'd also love to hear your strength training routine if you don't mind sharing! :smile:
  • cartea01
    Options
    I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women method. http://www.thenewrulesoflifting.com/nrol-for-women

At the moment I'm on Stage 1!
  • cartea01
    Options
    And tomorrow morning, I'll take photos in my January outfit ;)
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Congrats great work, plus you look fab in the blue dress, go get em! Well done
  • BazAbroad
    BazAbroad Posts: 248
    Options
    Wicked.
    Big changes = Big weights
  • christinerush
    Options
    Excellent work! You look Great! Well done! :smile:
  • dany_m
    dany_m Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Excellent work!
  • Maurice1966
    Maurice1966 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    fantastic results. Well done
  • PerfectPout
    PerfectPout Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! Great Job!
  • Jenny111372
    Jenny111372 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You look great!
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Awesome results!! Love the heavy weights. You're doing great!! Out of curiosity, what calorie range did you end up eating when you started using your fitbit with the 250 cal deficit?
  • cartea01
    Options
    Hey summer827 - obviously it varied depending on how active I was being. Over that month the most I ate was 2500 and the least I ate was ~1800.

I managed to lose my fitbit yesterday so while I wait to find it or for a new one to arrive, I'm eating at 1800 cals plus exercise calories.
  • cartea01
    Options
    Jonnelle06 and ash190489:

As I said above, I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm still at Stage 1 but at the moment I'm using the following weights:

Squats 50kg (110lb)
    Lunges 50kg (110lb)
    Deadlifts 30kg (66lb)
    Dumbell Shoulder Presses - 5kg each arm (11lb each arm)
    Seated row - 25kg (55lb)
    Step up - Body weight plus 5kg dumb-bells in each hand (11lb each arm)

I'm slowing building each of them up :)
  • Allisonvl
    Allisonvl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    You look great! Congratulations, your hard work is really paying off!! Do you have to use gym equipment for NROLFW? I've thought about getting the book but would only be able to use our free weights we have at home. Thanks :)
  • cartea01
    Options
    Ideally it's designed to be done at a gym. That said, there are modifications you could do to allow you to do it at home. You'd want access to both dumbbell free weights and a bar with weights. You'd also want a yoga ball and somewhere to do step ups. You could wear a backpack filled with weights for squats, lunges... Just have to get creative!

I bought the book on kobo.com so I can have it on my iphone to refer to at the gym :)
  • Allisonvl
    Allisonvl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • Natx83
    Natx83 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    Jonnelle06 and ash190489:

As I said above, I'm following the New Rules of Lifting for Women. I'm still at Stage 1 but at the moment I'm using the following weights:

Squats 50kg (110lb)
    Lunges 50kg (110lb)
    Deadlifts 30kg (66lb)
    Dumbell Shoulder Presses - 5kg each arm (11lb each arm)
    Seated row - 25kg (55lb)
    Step up - Body weight plus 5kg dumb-bells in each hand (11lb each arm)

I'm slowing building each of them up :)

Nice one that's some good weights! You could dead way more than 30 if your squatting 50 already? Have you ever done any one rep Max's?
  • cartea01
    Options
    Thanks :) This is my second go at NROLW. First time around I only did two sessions because I went too heavy too quick and was so sore I couldn't continue. I haven't done any one rep max's... I assume the concept being you do one rep of the heaviest weight you can? The gym's free weight barbells only go up to 40kg which was what I planned to try next. I'm sure one of the other machines would allow me to go heavier but I haven't figure out which one :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!