No energy.....No motivation

Options
I am almost halfway to my goal and I feel like I am losing all my motivation. I don't feel like working out, I keep telling myself I will do it tomorrow. I was working out 6 days a week, and now I am doing good to workout 2 to 3 days a week.....feel like I am letting myself down. What keeps everyone motivated?

Replies

• Lynvincible26
    Options
    Keep looking at pictures of yourself at your lightest, and root out some old clothes that you love that wont fit you anymore.

Hang a nice dress on your wardrobe and look at it everyday, the longing to get back into it will push you.

Also, I was useless until I started competing with a friend, so find a friend that wants to tone up or lose weight, and challenge each other to little goals, bit by bit. If you can't find anyone, pair up with someone here with a similar goal to you.

Good luck :)

Lyn xx
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Myself.
    I CAN quit whenever I want. Its up to you, what you want. Nobody is going to peer pressure you into keeping going so its all you.

Oh, and buy a pair of pants that are too small, that helps me.
  • Mell00546
    Mell00546 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem before I joined MFP. I was going to the gym 5-6 days a week and little by little I lost my motivation and pretty much stopped going. I found MFP and got motivated to eat well but not return to the gym. I decided to re-evaluate what my goals were and how I wanted to reach them.

I found that I was not motivated to workout at the gym becuase I was literally over it and I did not find it enjoyable. I wanted to enjoy working out so I would want to do it. I then decided to start swimming again with my local master program. I swam for 14 yrs growing up (was in amazing shape) and wanted to get back into it. It has been almost a month now that I have been on MFP and swimming 5 days a week. I have already met my first goal and have almost lost my first 10lbs.

I think that you should remind yourself why you want to get healthy and what do you enjoy doing for exercise. If you do not enjoy it you aren't going to do it. Good Luck :)
  • _rosegray
    _rosegray Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    for me, it's seeing how far i've come.. i had that quite a bit recently and had a MAJOR hiatus in my weight loss, but remembering why i started and seeing that i'm over halfway really pushes me to keep going :) you could try something new workout-wise, maybe? buy a new recipe book and try some new healthy meals? i started running recently (i did yoga and biking/spinning before mostly) and it's given me a whole new lease of motivation :) hope that helps! feel free to add me if you need extra motivation, i'm on here all the time as i'm meant to be revising haha!
  • hounds726
    hounds726 Posts: 63
    Options
    Honestly, the mirror and the smaller clothes :)

Seems vain, and probably is a little bit but you have to remember WHY you started this in the first place. Whether it is smaller clothes, better health, more energy, etc. Think about those reasons. Write them down again. Don't forget the great progress that you have made but also think about how great it will feel when you hit your goal!

Good luck :)
  • Hawksbillus
    Hawksbillus Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Give yourself permission to take a week or even 2 weeks off. Eat good, but don't kill yourself to be perfect. If you're feeling tired, you're probably tired. Give yourself a chance to rest. But give your break a deadline and when it's over, get back to work and kick some *kitten*!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I think you have to figure out if you have no energy because of a physical or mental factor.

If you're tired all the time because you're not sleeping enough, or you're not fueling your body with enough food, or you're having a medial issue - that might be an easier fix. You can change things up with more food, more sleep or a trip to the doc.

If you're not motivated because you have a mental block - that's a bit harder. I think we all go through those highs and lows. When I have a mental block, I remember how awesome I feel after the workout, or load my mp3 player with stuff I can't wait to hear. Just remember, we all need a break sometimes - just get back on it when you're ready!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Maybe you arent ready for it?
    Are you eating the correct amount of food?
    Are your hormones screwed up?
    How long have you been on a diet and have you had a break at maintenance?
  • Hotrodhoodlum
    Options
    Sometimes its good to take off. 6 days a week is killer and it will wear on you .I cut my work out back to 3 days for the summer . Just don't let yourself get back into your old habits of eating wrong . Don't beat your self up its normal to have a set back if thats what you want to call it . Keep up the good work your doing great .
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    It could be that you overdid it right off the bat....6 days a week is a LOT! :D

I found that I am currently lacking motivation as well. I have supportive friends who remind me how far I've come, how much healthier I am, and that I've made life changes that will benefit me for years to come! I have my "before" pictures handy, so I can remind myself of where I was when I started.

And, if I feel like I need a day off, I take a day off.

What works BEST for me is that I schedule workouts into my calendar. I don't even think about WHAT I'll be doing for that hour, just that I have to be there - like a meeting at work. I just DO it. Once I'm there and in my workout clothes, I find that I have the motivation. When I think about it before hand, I don't.

Best of luck and KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! Maybe change your workout routine so that it's something you really enjoy doing? Switch routines every time....play with it. Do whatever you know will help you stick with it! Doing the same things over and over gets repetetive and boring. MAKE IT PLAY!
  • nukebhs83
    nukebhs83 Posts: 158
    Options
    we all feel like that at times. you have to keep doing what you have been doing. you are almost there---dont give up now. fortunately for me--i have a exercise "crackhead" for a daughter and she keeps me motivated. feel free to add me if you need a friend. i will do my best to pat you on the back when you accomplish a goal but will also kick you in the butt when you need a push.

sherri. :)
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    If you truly have no energy, then are you getting enough sleep (7-8 hours/night)? Have you had your thyroid and or adrenal glands checked? If you just dread doing the exercise, then you're doing the wrong exercise for you, time to change it up and find something YOU like, not what's popular, or what your friends are doing. Try taking a few classes for different work outs (spin, Zumba, kettlebells, c25k, weight lifting, whatever) to see if you can find something you like~
    Good Luck!
  • ninaquelinda
    Options
    I started using GymPact. You need an iPhone but they are working on versions for other phones now. So far I have met my gym goal every week since I have been using it.

https://secure.gym-pact.com/
  • carolyns19
    Options
    If it makes financial sense, sign up for a small-training class. I did a bootcamp for one month (I actually got a living social coupon for it $40) and it met 3x a week for one hour. It was the most intense workout ever. During that month, I made myself go to every single class b/c I paid for it and people would notice if I was gone (I noticed when other people didn't show). Then after the class was over, I took everything I learned (diff. weight exercises) and integrated it into my own workouts.

This was taken at a local CrossFit gym-- most of them offer "intro" classes. I am also a member of the local University gym and I might pay $21 to take a month-long Kettlebell class to keep myself challenged.
  • 2hmom
    2hmom Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Change your exercise or buy something in your new size. You have come so far,good luck.
  • MsTaurus30
    Options
    I am going through the same thing right now smh :(
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    motivational quotes... It makes me want to keep going. Stay positive. Maybe you need to add a reward system for small goals reached to keep you on track ( like clothes, shoes, bathing suits) . The energy thing.. well, what worked for me is I came home from work one day and went to sleep at 5pm and didn't wake up til the next morning at 630am. Try it, it worked out my tired. and I felt great the next day.
  • cinsuccess
    cinsuccess Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I have 2 motivations:
    1) When I started, I took a picture of myself at my worst in really tight clothes so I could see every last bit of fat. That reminds me why I can't ever give up again!!

2) I have a picture of the dress I want to ear for my 40th birthday in July. That reminds me why I'm pushing myself so hard now.

Sometimes thinking is the problem. Sometimes you just have to get up and do it! Yesterday I really really did NOT want to workout. I had 4 hours of sleep on Saturday and then no sleep on Sunday thanks to a redeye flight for a business trip. Went right into work and was there until 5pm. I really wanted to just climb into bed and pass out but my MFP friends gave me lots of encourgaement which motivated me to push through. I went to the hotel gym and did 60 minutes on the elliptical. I didn't allow myself any other option... You have to find several ways to motivate yourself because not every day is the same so the same motivation won't work every time.
  • dirtchick97
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I have been having some problems with my hormones and started some new medication for it, but I don't want to let a medicine get me down, so I am just going to try and overcome that. I have had my thyroid checked and that's fine, which is a great thing. It's like once I get started working out I am fine, it's just the getting started part. Going to try to get back on it tonight with a good workout! Maybe that's all I need to feel better. Thanks everyone for all of your support and responses! :)
  • NicoleG_86
    NicoleG_86 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I tell myself how many times I have tried this before and failed because I gave up... then I tell myself that I WILL NOT let myself down this time.

I let my thoughts be, but my actions are the opposite. For instance: As my mind is saying I will go to the gym tomorrow, I am lacing up my shoes and making a workout mix on my iPod. My thoughts can be what they are... it's my actions that matter. Lacing up my shoes and walking out the door is the key- even if I get to the gym and only do 20 minutes on the elliptical or only do half of my yoga video, at least I did it. And I ALWAYS feel better.

I read this once and it really hit home for me- "You will never regret working out, but you will always regret putting it off."

Also, I eat something every 2 hours. Its really helped with the exhaustion. I have hypothyroid and I work full time, go to school, and have a 5 year old. Balance is key. :)