Society/others have caused me to hate myself.

This was originally a blog, but I am posting it on here for support and encouragement. I am getting married in 5 months and I really want to lose at least 30 pounds before I do so...
_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Today is the start of something new! I am starting a journey that is absolutely necessary for me. I want to not only change the way I look, but also the way I feel and think.

Things in life aren't always what they seem, and people who "think" they know me, know me as the girl who always tries to make them laugh or smile, but people who REALLY know me, know that I am a very damaged person.

Some may call me "crazy", but I am not crazy, I am very hurt, and I do not know how to fix myself. The problem is, I do not think I can fix myself alone. I need the Lord's help, and I need it bad. I do not know how to let go of my feelings that haunt me. I don't know how to calm the thoughts in my head down. My brain is constantly torturing me of my feelings, and how I perceive things, even if they may not be the case.

It all started in third grade. I was walking to my class and I saw a boy on the playground that I considered a really good friend of mine at the time. He was with a bunch of other boys and when I waved "hi" he yelled across the blacktop "Hey Alyssa slimfast really works". As I write this, I am crying. That was the first time someone called me fat, and it never stopped. All through elementary school and middle school I was made fun of for my weight. I would go home crying every day, and my Mommy would just hold me and tell me that I am beautiful and that kids are just mean.

I also grew up in church, and I loved the church I grew up in. I finally felt like I found somewhere I belonged, until two boys in my youth group started making fun of me too. All I wanted was for them to like me, but instead they felt the need to call me fat as well.

My entire childhood I grew up hating myself. I had amazing parents, and the two best sisters in the world, but nothing they said mattered to me, I don't know why I couldn't believe my family, but I just couldn't. I wanted my peers to accept me for who I am. I wanted them to like me, and think I was beautiful too, just like my family did.

I lost some weight in high school, but still didn't like myself. After I graduated high school, something came over me. I became obsessed with my looks. Nothing mattered to me more than being skinny, so I stopped eating. I didn't eat for a year, and what I did eat (so my family didn't suspect anything), I got rid of. I finally got "skinny" but at the time I still thought I was fat. My body started getting very sick. I finally got smart, and I told my Mom what I had been doing. I know I broke her heart, and I hated myself for hurting my mother. My Mom and I prayed and I promised I would never do that again.

Well two weeks after I told my Mom about the eating disorder, I found out I was pregnant.

To be honest, I barely knew the guy. We had just started dating. But at 19 years old, I thought I knew everything and I thought that he was right for me. We wanted to do the "right thing" so we got married. Everything was good for the first 2 months of marriage, but then something changed. The "nice" guy I thought I loved, stopped being fake, and showed me how he really was. Of course, being pregnant, I started gaining weight. He kept telling me he couldn't wait until I had the baby so I could start losing weight again. He started being very verbally abusive. For the next three years the abuse got worse and worse. On a daily basis I was called fat, stupid and worthless. Every thing I said he would tear down. He told me I would never amount to anything in life, and that I better stay with him, because no other man would ever want to be with a fat and ugly girl like me. The abuse started getting physical. He threw a bowl of spaghetti at my face one night because it was "too watery", and he broke my cell phone when I tried to call the police about it.

One night I looked at my beautiful son and realized that I do not want him to grow up thinking it is okay for men to treat woman this way, so I left my "now" ex husband.

But the feelings of my hatred towards my body never went away. I am now in a relationship with the most amazing man in the world. He is so good to me, and he tells me I am beautiful every day, but I don't believe him. My mind is so damaged that I don't even know what to do anymore. I want to love myself so badly, but I do not know how. I don't know how to let go of the feelings I have about myself. I don't know how to stop over analyzing every thing all the time. I don't know how to forgive my ex husband for what he did to me. (I found out he was cheating as well).

I know I need to change. I just don't know how. I am going to start with trying to trust God, and starting to eat healthy. I want to fix myself so that I can help others. I am currently going to college for my Bachelors in Psychology in Child Development. I want to counsel children who were bullied like me, and help them to grow up and be nothing like me. I want help girls to grow up and not feel like they have to look like a Victoria Secret Model in order to be loved.

Replies

• xoalyssaox
    xoalyssaox Posts: 318 Member
    bump
  • sanjoparolas
    sanjoparolas Posts: 549 Member
    You have done so many of the right things: acknowledging the unconditional love of your family, trusting them and being honest with them when you needed help, making a new start for your safety and for your son, participating here. I am not good with advice but I think there is a core part of you that is very strong and wise.
  • jcmk87
    jcmk87 Posts: 57
    Hard to give advice, but just so you know some of the world's most famous people were bullied in school. You should use this as a motivation to better yourself and be thankful that your fiancé loves you for who and what you are and not just what you look like (You are attractive by the way).

Enjoy the future and don't let the past spoil it for you...
  • Billywoo
    Billywoo Posts: 141 Member
    Wow..... I gotta say that this broke my heart to read. No one should ever have to go through that. Especially most of thier life. Glad to hear that you are happy now. Good for you. Now WE help you get on track :smile:
  • xoalyssaox
    Wow..... I gotta say that this broke my heart to read. No one should ever have to go through that. Especially most of thier life. Glad to hear that you are happy now. Good for you. Now WE help you get on track :smile:

Thanks! I am also going to a therapist now to help my self esteem, and I think it's time to start working on my weight. Not only do I want to lose weight, but I also want to learn to love myself and see myself the way others do too. I want to also help others in the process. Thanks for your willingness to help me :)
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Counseling will help you learn to like yourself for you. You will begin to see and enjoy the good things in your life. It takes a lot of work on yourself and honesty. While you are working on you appreciate the good things and listen to yourself and not others. My wish to you is only success on your journey and new life. This from someone who has been there and still struggles but have learned to like herself
  • Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz
    Striving4Fit_MrsOrtiz Posts: 399 Member
    Add me additional support if you'd like. First and foremost, you have a wonderful heart, and you're beautiful. You seem like you're a great mom. I too have been bullied most of my life about my weight. That's why I would like to befriend you!
  • rene140
    rene140 Posts: 1
    You can feel better. I am not an overly religious person, but I want you to know something that turned my life around. I was at a new church and the pastor said, "God WANTS good for you. He loves you the same way you love your children, Just like you want to see them happy, he wants to see you ecstatic! He wants the best for you, not mediocre. You don't want mediocre for your children do you? He wants you to have the happiest days, the best job, success, and to feel good about yourself. Jeremiah 29:11 "For I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord. They are plans for good and not evil, to give you a future and a hope."

I always struggled with worthiness. This message validated that it was ok for me to be happy and feel good about things and that it wasn't selfish to want to look good, feel good, be happy and loved and be successful.

Good luck to you. You can do this.
  • wow...I'm so sorry you have to been through this! I almost cried. If it was me, I don't think I could ever forgive your ex-husband. He was cruel.
    But I'm so glad you found this website! People here are wonderfully supportive. You can do this! Meanwhile, I think you are already very beautiful, inside and out. God bless you with a beautiful son and an honest man...it's getting better! :D
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    I only think you are a LITTLE crazy.
    30 LBS in 5 months?
    That is 6 LBS per month. VERY unhealthy.
    shoot for 10 LBS. Much healthier and, guess what? the man you are going to be marrying loves you the way you are RIGHT NOW.
    Yeah.. 2 LBS is healthy.
    I would rather be with a "curvy" healthy girl then a skinny sick girl.
    Pace yourself with the weight loss and you will take off the weight you want AND remain healthy.
  • xoalyssaox
    wow...I'm so sorry you have to been through this! I almost cried. If it was me, I don't think I could ever forgive your ex-husband. He was cruel.
    But I'm so glad you found this website! People here are wonderfully supportive. You can do this! Meanwhile, I think you are already very beautiful, inside and out. God bless you with a beautiful son and an honest man...it's getting better! :D

I truly believe every thing happens for a reason, and yes I know I have been through a lot of heartache, but it made me who I am today and it led me to where I am today too. I am very broken, but I am putting the pieces back together :) Thanks to much for your kind words!