Salty meal last night - weight gain this morning- aarrgghh

Options
Had a very salty meal last night, drank tons of water before bed, and this morning my weight was up TWO miserable pounds any suggestions of how to get it off fast?

I've lost only seven pounds in over two months of hard, hard exercise and calorie counting.

Replies

• 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Just keep drinking water, that's about all you can do. Also next time watch the salt intake. I am very careful about my salt, I can tell when I have eaten way too much, even if I don't go over.

I personally quit weighing in daily because your body fluctuates constantly, once a week is good for me. Weighing too often can drive some people nuts ... it did me.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    It is only temporary. Not a real weight gain. :smile:
  • thomassd1969
    thomassd1969 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Tons of water, my body holds on to water weight like crazy if I have to much sodium. good luck
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It sure is not a true wt gain...just water retention so relax! :) Stop obsessing or you will discourage yourself! Best of Luck!
    Carri1
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    tis the carbohydrates, not the salt
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 7000 calories ABOVE your maintenance level, you didn't gain 2 pounds. My first guess is that you have an alien parasite growing inside you. Congratulations.
  • xarla16
    xarla16 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    If I have a really salty meal the day before I'm due to weigh in, I skip weighing the next day, drink lots of water and then weigh the following day. I find it makes a huge difference (2 or 3 lbs sometimes).
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It is not a TRUE weight gain, only water retention. I had the same thing this morning exactly 2 lbs. Up your water intake. And then when you think you have drank enough water DRINK MORE!!!

And don't be so hard on yourself!! The scale is not the only deciding factor! Keep up the hard work!:flowerforyou:
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    get off the scale...this is hard. ..but its needed...i wouldnt step back on for a week...there is no way you gained 2 pounds over night...you know its salt, you said it in your question....dont stress.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    tis the carbohydrates, not the salt

This can be incredibly untrue if you are a chinese dish that was coated in a high sodium sauce but the meat was not breaded, or if you are eating any typ eof jerky, those are high protein, high sodium, that can cause fluid retention and thus a false weight gain.

Just keep flushing your body out with water! try to drink atleast 2 more cups then yesterday, you may pee all day but itll be worth it
  • rbrannock
    rbrannock Posts: 169
    Options
    Water, water, and more water. And you'll be just fine.
  • Pandoragirl
    Options
    Thanks to each of you for the reassurance and help! I needed that!
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 7000 calories ABOVE your maintenance level, you didn't gain 2 pounds. My first guess is that you have an alien parasite growing inside you. Congratulations.

Hahaha - that made me chuckle. :-)
  • amaodonnell
    amaodonnell Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    High sodium intake causes water retention. I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep drinking water and definitely watch your sodium more closely.