Fellow insomniacs...

Options
ojell
ojell Posts: 749 Member
how do you gather up enough energy to exercise on especially rough nights/weeks?

I'm a crasher...I'll be doing good...I mean I NEVER sleep well, BUT I will have periods of time when I can still function and find the energy, etc...and then it's like all of the lack of sleep adds together and then I crash and all I want to do is sleep. I have to sleep for like a whole wkend to get caught back up. It's so dumb really.

Anyway...what's bad is during my crash periods...not only am I super exhausted, but I also just want to munch a lot because I feel unsatisfied...because my body is worn out. UGH!

How do YOU fight through it and stay on track?

Replies

• hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I tell myself that daily exercise helps sleep and try to keep on top of it that way. If I'm too tired to do anything else then I can at least take a walk and get off my butt, get some fresh air.
  • charliedavisxxx
    charliedavisxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    snce doing cardio i find i sleep better esp. evening workouts. that motivates me to go running xx
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    One word: Ambien!

But when I wasn't taking it, I tried to force myself on a schedule. I would work out twice a day to physically exhaust my body so I would have no choice but to sleep. It actually worked for me, and once I was sticking to my "schedule," I calmed down on the workouts. Granted, this isn't going to work for everyone. And on the days that I was just so exhausted/crashed, I slept. Because that's what my body needed the most at that point in time.

Best of luck to you!
  • rcharlee
    rcharlee Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When I've had a particularly rough night, I wait til later in the day to exercise. I also use a green tea supplement that gives me enough energy to do 30 minutes of cardio, plus some strength training. Due to my work schedule, I don't sleep anywhere close to a normal amount, and I've come to terms with sometimes I need to just let my body rest. So if my body is full on saying no exercise today, I listen.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I don't, but some nights when I get out of work I'm too restless and power through my workouts. Of course, then I can't sleep for another five hours.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I don't know..I just do it...but...I also function pretty well on 4-5 hours of sleep surprisingly...

I did have to change my workout time from 6:45am to lunch time workouts tho...just couldn't wake up earlier than 6am! It's not until 7am that I hit my 4-5 hours!
  • 2jayjaysmom
    2jayjaysmom Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    My Doctor told me to take Melatonin and I must say it works like a charm....It is not a sleeping pill--it is somethign your body makes naturally, just some folks body doesn't make enough....you might still wake up but the quaility of your sleep will be so much better.
    You can get it anywhere from 1Mg up to 10Mg....I started out with 3 and I have found that 4 MG work best for me....I like to go to bed about 11PM so I take it about 7. After a few days you will notice a 100% difference
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I take melatonin to help me sleep, but I also get up/go to bed @ the same time every night (even on weekends). I either work out early in the AM before work, or after work. I have noticed if I work out and wear myself out, it helps me sleep.

I've tried multiple sleeping aids, but they all have some weird side affect. I was on ambien and it stopped working for me after about a month, a friend of mine was on ambien as well and she did a lot of sleep walking/sleep cooking (looooong story on that one).

I've had some great luck w/ melatonin and like Reneejax22 indicated you just have to find the dose that works for you. I know some folks can't take it because they have funky dreams.

If I'm REALLY tired though, then I focus on getting enough rest and watch my nutrition. Good luck!
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Melatonin ... been using it for going on 23 years. I suggest you buy the smallest dosage you can find, you an always take more. If you take too much, you'll get the opposite effect desired.

I take it about 20 minutes before bedtime.

Melatonin is a natural brain hormone that is produced. As a child, your brain produced more, as we get older, we produce less. The effect is NOT like a sleeping pill. Ever go camping, and at 9pm you are tired and ready to sleep. That's because the light dimmed gradually (at sunset) and your brain did what it was programmed to do. Release Melatonin into your blood system, and put you to sleep. Today we have lights, and some of us stay up past dusk, flip a light switch and go to bed; and then are surprised when we can't sleep.

Melatonin is a SUPPLEMENT that aids. Think of a rainy day, a nice relaxing weekend. Ever notice how you can easily take a nap when it's a dark, gloomy and rainy day? That's Melatonin doing it's thing. Taking this before bedtime induces a feeling exactly like a rainy weekend afternoon. You want to sleep - but, if something comes up and you need to be awake - unlike a sleeping pill, you can fight it and do what needs to be done.

I love this stuff, and I rarely have insomnia since I started taking it over 20 years ago.
  • eatbacon
    eatbacon Posts: 3
    Options
    Have you ever had a sleep test done? I was tired all the time for years and as I gained weight, I snored more, which causes sleep apnea. I finally went and got tested and they told me I stopped breathing 60 times in an hour...and I was a more mild case. Every time I stopped breathing it interrupted my sleep and I never got into that deep sleep I needed to get fully rested. The first night I used the CPAP machine (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) I felt amazing. I hadn't felt that way in a long time.
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    how do you gather up enough energy to exercise on especially rough nights/weeks?

I'm a crasher...I'll be doing good...I mean I NEVER sleep well, BUT I will have periods of time when I can still function and find the energy, etc...and then it's like all of the lack of sleep adds together and then I crash and all I want to do is sleep. I have to sleep for like a whole wkend to get caught back up. It's so dumb really.

Anyway...what's bad is during my crash periods...not only am I super exhausted, but I also just want to munch a lot because I feel unsatisfied...because my body is worn out. UGH!

How do YOU fight through it and stay on track?

Insomnia is a serious medical condition, and it has serious consequences for health and weight loss. You should talk to your doctor about a referral to a sleep clinic to find the cause of your insomnia. Some are easily treated, though others are not. I have alpha intrusion, which, unfortunately, isn't so easily treated. It's resulted in central pain syndrome and fibromyalgia--in fact, most FMS researchers beiliev ir might be "the" cause of FMS. SO see your doctor about a referral to a sleep clinic. It can help a lot.

There are some things you can do to improve your sleep yourself. You should go to bed at roughly the same time every night and get up at roughly the same time every morning, weekends and days off included, no matter how little sleep you've had. If you get kept up late, you still get up at your usual time. This is probably the #1 suggestion of every sleep expert. Sleep in a cool but comfortable room. Have a "going to bed" routine that you follow every night. If you're not asleep, get out of bed. If you're awake more than twenty minutes get up and do something boring, like reading a boring book until you're tired again, the go back to bed. If you aren't asleep in 20 minutes, get back up and repeat. (This is probably the #2 advice of sleep experts.) Don't do things that are stimulating, and avoid backlit screen like your computer or TV because it can trigger your body's "wake up" mechanisms--in fact, avoid backlit screens within 30 minutes of bedtime if possible. Make sure you have a comfortable bed and comfortable pillows.

These things are HARD, I know, I do them. Especially getting up early on Saturdays. I also wear a brainwave monitor to assess how well I'm sleeping. I'm also medicated for sleep, but these things have made a huge difference in how exhausted I feel during the day.
  • FitLink
    Options
    Have you ever had a sleep test done? I was tired all the time for years and as I gained weight, I snored more, which causes sleep apnea. I finally went and got tested and they told me I stopped breathing 60 times in an hour...and I was a more mild case. Every time I stopped breathing it interrupted my sleep and I never got into that deep sleep I needed to get fully rested. The first night I used the CPAP machine (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) I felt amazing. I hadn't felt that way in a long time.

Hear hear! I have alpha intrusion, which also causes a loss of deep (Stages 3-4/delta) sleep, though a CPAP or BiPAP won't help with this. Lack of delta sleep can have some really unpleasant consequences.
  • FitLink
    Options
    I don't know..I just do it...but...I also function pretty well on 4-5 hours of sleep surprisingly...

I did have to change my workout time from 6:45am to lunch time workouts tho...just couldn't wake up earlier than 6am! It's not until 7am that I hit my 4-5 hours!

The Mayo Clinic says "Although some people claim to feel rested on just a few hours of sleep a night, research shows that people who sleep so little over many nights don't perform as well on complex mental tasks as do people who get closer to seven hours of sleep a night. Additionally, studies among adults show that getting much more or less than seven hours of sleep a night is associated with a higher mortality rate." Is there a reason you can't get to bed before 2 or 3 am? 4-5 hours of sleep is really bad for you, no matter how well you believe you function.
  • rebecky27
    rebecky27 Posts: 842 Member
    Options

The Mayo Clinic says "Although some people claim to feel rested on just a few hours of sleep a night, research shows that people who sleep so little over many nights don't perform as well on complex mental tasks as do people who get closer to seven hours of sleep a night. Additionally, studies among adults show that getting much more or less than seven hours of sleep a night is associated with a higher mortality rate." Is there a reason you can't get to bed before 2 or 3 am? 4-5 hours of sleep is really bad for you, no matter how well you believe you function.
    I get home from work at 5:30pm, take the kids to their practices/games, get home at 7:00/7:30pm, cook/eat dinner by 7:30/8pm, baths, homework help, bedtime routine and dishes done by 10pm, unwind (or try to) until 11pm...lay down around 11pm-midnight...toss and turn until about 2/3am. It doesn't happen every night, but probably 3 nights a week. Sometimes, my brain just refuses to shut off...