First 5K is THIS weekend!!

Options
KF1216
KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
Hey fellow MFP'ers!
I've been running steadily since February-ish and was planning on doing a 5k on Mother's Day. Well, I just found out about a race in my town that just happens to go down a road I love running on so I couldn't resist signing up....but it's THIS Saturday and I'm totally unprepared!!! You can bet I will be searching through threads for insight but since I'm short on time I would love any advice you can offer on what do to this last week leading up to the race.

Some particular questions I have are:

I went on a 4ish mile walk today pushing my kids in the stroller -it was supposed to be my rest day - - I haven't had an actual, zero exercise rest day in over a week, should I take one before the race? Rest the day before?

I've never run further than about 3.6miles, should I try to throw in a long distance run before the race, like run 4-5 miles tomorrow?

My best 5k time so far is 33:48 seconds (which was 2min better than my last best time, just under 36min, so I'm not terribly fast but am pretty proud of my time. I'd love to get faster though and have been wanting to go to the local high school outdoor track and do some high intensity interval training, should I do that one day this week, or is that too intense so close to the race?

Should I wear my HRM during the race? How about my droid phone with GPS telling me how long it's been, how fast I'm going, etc.? Should/can I listen to music?

The race is at 8am, what should I eat the day/night before? (My husband said I should carb-up, is that old school thinking?) How about the morning of? A protein bar? Nothing? Banana?

The registration asked what size shirt I wear, you don't actually wear the shirt during the race, right?

Race at 8am, if it takes me 33 or whatever minutes to finish, what time would I expect to leave there? We fly to Florida the next day so will have a lot going on with packing and such, I don't want it to take up my whole morning.

Ok, that's all I can think of right now, thank you in advance for the help!!!
(I'm super psyched, btw!)

Replies

• ChristineandRoxy
    ChristineandRoxy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    ooo im curious too i have my first 5k next month and i really dont know what to expect!
  • catmfamily
    catmfamily Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Good luck on your first race I just signed up for my first.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    You don't need to "carb up" for a 5k. If you can run 3.6 you're more than ready for a 5k. Whatever you did before your last run that was close to 3 miles and worked well - do that again.

Good luck on your race!

And Have FUN!

ETA: I don't wear the shirt at the race - but I don't wear concert t-shirts at the concert either. There's no law, some folks do it.
  • workout_junkee
    workout_junkee Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Good luck!

I would rest the day before. Let your legs recover. It wiill help your time:).

I never wear my shirt to the race. Wear whatever you are most comfortable with.

Agree, no special diet the night before. Do what ever you are use to the morning of.

You will have a mixed back with music. Some wear it and some don't. I do wear my Garmin. I like to monitor my pace during the race. They will time you so it is not necessary for that. Again, it is personal preference.

Adreniline will kick in the morning. You will most likely pace a a little higher than usual. Just remember your first is a PR regardless:). Have fun!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    No need to carb up

GO FOR A RUN THE DAY BEFORE - seriously...it helps your legs stay loose, increases blood flow and helps curb your nerves. It can be a slow 20 min shake out jog....that is fine..but get out there.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Nice easy short run the day before, no special foods needed for a 5K, for breakfast I like peanut butter on toast, a banana and yogurt (may be a bit big for you) but I eat at least 3 hrs before the race - I prefer to run on an empty stomach.

I use my Garmin during races to keep track of my pace (it's just as important to slow you down a little as it's easy to get caught up in the excitement and go out too fast) leave the iPod at home on race day. There's a lot going on around you and you hearing is a very useful sense.

Personally I don't wear the t-shirt until after the race but if you look at a lot of races at least half the people will be wearing theirs - no hard and fast rules.

Have fun, your first race is something you never forget but be warned, it's addictive!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Two things.

1. Don't start out too fast.
    2. See #1.

:)

Ditto what Brian said above.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Don't do any long runs or speedwork that you're not used to doing this week. They will not help you race this weekend and will only make you more tired.

From the time you do a workout until the time your body absorbs the fitness gains stimulated by that workout is between 8 and 14 days.
  • KF1216
    KF1216 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone! Some great tips!!
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    100% ditto to what Brian, Carson, and Scott stated above. Exactly.

Most of all - enjoy the race and do YOUR best!

Greg
  • terbee
    terbee Posts: 72
    Options
    Congrats on going for it, I think that is awesome! You will rock it!

Also, I like to think of "rest" days more as "recovery from running" days. I will often swim or go for long walks on recovery days; something to give my body a break from the impact/muscle tears that can happen when running. I think this is better for you than having a day of sitting, not getting any physical activity in. However I am no expert.