BMR & Bodymedia Fit

Options
I've always had trouble losing weight - like I bust my butt at the gym 4-6 days/week, count every calorie and still not lose a lb. My family recently found out that 1/2 of us have thyroid issues (hashimoto's, hypothyroidism, etc). My thyroid tested normal - test results were back a few weeks ago. So I thought I'd change things up and I bought the bodymedia fit core. I've been using it for a few days and it provides some amazing data!

That being said, I wanted to figure out approximately what my BMR was. On Sunday, I wore my bodymedia fit and spent the entire day sitting on the couch grading papers. The bodymedia website said I expended 1600 calories. I'm 5'4 and about 139 and 29y/o. Does that seem normal or low? I've checked some websites and they say the average person with my age/weight/height should have a BMR of something like 1950 calories/day. It's not like I just started exercising and eating right. I've been doing cardio and weights since the beginning of Feb so I'm not in terrible shape (i.e. I have muscle mass to fuel my metabolism).

Any thoughts?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    BMR estimate from this site is 1390 cals/day

1600 / 1390 = 1.15 does seem a bit low but I don't know how that gadget calculates your BMR or TEF etc.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I have one also. I am 5'2" and 160lbs currently (damn you spring break). Your BMR is if you were basically comatose. So I look at the lowest calories / minute burn during sleep. For me that is 0.9 calories/min. Multiply that by 1440 to get your BMR. On my most sedentary days (work from home no exercise) I burn around 1800. On my weight lifting days I burn up to 2200. I am also heavily muscled and large boned which helps. I would say that 1600 sounds about right if you really didn't do much of anything active.