Healthy alternatives to eating everything!!

Options
HI... I am officially a non smoker of 48 hours. yes... I am eating twizzlers and carrot sticks like its my job. :ohwell: I am looking for your ideas for other things I can readily get my hands on.
I am not craving the ciggarettes....I find myself STARVING all the time and looking for something to do with my hands. My house is spotless, I have no more dishes to do and no more laundry. I can't walk my dog anymore than I do, I am freaking out here!! LOL

Replies

• bethgames
    bethgames Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I found sugar free hard candies a good alternative. It gets easier after 2 weeks, hang in there! I quit cold turkey 8 years ago after smoking for 20 years. You can do it. Kepp up with the carrots and add celery too! Good Luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    When I quit I chewed a lot of gum. a lot.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Since I've never been a smoker, I don't have any real advice, but I wanted to say great job and don't give up!!!!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You need to get you a stress ball to squeeze. Seriously. Your body is going through detox and as simple as it seems that ball will definitely help.

You could also use this time to research some new exercise dvds you might be interested in trying. That would keep you busy for some time.

You could also try out some of the recipes in that forum. That will definitely keep your hands busy and you could use your family as ginney pigs lol

Happy 48 hours to you!!
  • SmudgerSmithRhino
    Options
    Hi,

Get the App "Quit Now" for your phone and then put in your stop smoking date. The App then calculates how many cigarettes you've not smoked and how much money you have saved. It also show the progress of your body recovering from smoking.

I've been using it since 21st February, I've been 'clean' for 62 days, I've not smoked 1,252 cigarettes and saved £438, approx $700.

When ever I feel weak I look at my stats and also the stats for my body recovering and any cravings disappear.

Good luck, its not an easy journey, I did it cold turkey and by going mad on exercise and using the App!
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Water with a straw and mint gum
  • teee12
    teee12 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sounds weird, but Grated cauliflower and steam it, add some garlic... It kinda tastes like rice! Everyone try it! :)
  • luvsoftball09
    Options
    When my mom quit smoking she use to eat sunflower seeds, it was more of the motion hand to the mouth that got her so those helped alot. Was smoking something you did in "spare" time so your looking for something to fill those time slots?? Maybe you can pick up a hobby like something with crafts or anything really to keep you busy.

Congrats on your success!! Keep up the good work!
  • emma110984
    emma110984 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    When I quit i put on 4 stone in like a year, as I filled my craving with fizzy drinks... definately reach for the low fat yoghurts and cheesess... cold meats... they do the trick for me!!
  • foss44
    foss44 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Great job for taking this step. I have been smoke free now for 16 months now. I chewed a lot of gum and I still do especially at work. I still get blindslided by cravings and I chew chew chew. Another thought to keep hands busy learn a craft crochetting or knitting can be fabulous for keeping hands and mind busy. Good luck to you you can do it.
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I've never been a smoker, so I don't 100% know what you're going through, but what works best for me is having a diverse range of teas around to make myself a tasty cup. My favourites are Oolong tea, chai tea mixed with rooibus, fennel tea, and this tea that's name translates to "good body tea" we have it here in Switzerland and it's basically a mix of green tea, mint and lemon.
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Get the App "Quit Now" for your phone and then put in your stop smoking date. The App then calculates how many cigarettes you've not smoked and how much money you have saved. It also show the progress of your body recovering from smoking.

I've been using it since 21st February, I've been 'clean' for 62 days, I've not smoked 1,252 cigarettes and saved £438, approx $700.

When ever I feel weak I look at my stats and also the stats for my body recovering and any cravings disappear.

Good luck, its not an easy journey, I did it cold turkey and by going mad on exercise and using the App!

I love this idea! Will be recommending this to all my friends who are quitting, thanks!

To the OP- You can come clean my house if you want. That'll keep you busy for at least a few weeks... Seriously though, add a workout in there if you need to be moving. If not, try some yoga or meditation. You need to train that nervous energy. Read a book. Or pick up knitting/crocheting or other crafts. I did yoga and crocheting when I quit. Both helped.
  • brwneyes568
    brwneyes568 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on quitting. It does get easier. I quit many years ago after smoking for almost 15 years...cold turkey. The first couple weeks were the toughest. The hand to mouth motion is a big thing. Be sure you have healthy food around.

I love SmudgerSmith's suggestion for the app and exercise!

Good luck...it can be done...you can do it !! Check in with us regularly if you are struggling...we are here if you need support! Feel free to add me as a friend for support.
  • lisanume
    lisanume Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone that responded!! I like the phone ap idea, except I have a hard enough time with my regular phone, I dont' have a data phone!! LOL

would it work on an IPOD I wonder?

I am going to up the work outs.....and lastnight YOGA helped emensly....

I will not ever smoke again, I know that much....