Simple Questions

Options
Two questions are on my mind right now,

1. What is a healthy weight for a 29 year old 6'6" man?

2. How in the world can you get your husband to workout? I have had workout success with his help, but he wants nothing to do with it. And honestly he's starting to look rather unattractive to me, because while I'm taking care of myself and bettering my health, he is letting himself go, and doesn't care about his weight.

Replies

• SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, you can want and wish until you're blue in the face. No one can change unless they want to change themselves.

Do you workout at home or a gym?
  • presariofaded
    Options
    1. 164 - 216 lb (bmi of 19-24) he could be over and still healthy but it depends on how muscular he is.

2. I have no experiences with husbands, cuz im single but you can't make someone do something they don't want to do, especially if it involves lifestyle changes. Sorry. but talking to him about how you feel might help.
  • tiedye
    tiedye Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Find active things you enjoy doing together. For example, bike riding in a scenic area or walking the dog on a hiking trail. Don't call it exercising, just say you'd like to spend more time together and suggest this kind of thing.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options
    Tell him it makes sex better.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Two questions are on my mind right now,

1. What is a healthy weight for a 29 year old 6'6" man?

2. How in the world can you get your husband to workout? I have had workout success with his help, but he wants nothing to do with it. And honestly he's starting to look rather unattractive to me, because while I'm taking care of myself and bettering my health, he is letting himself go, and doesn't care about his weight.

I would say healthy weight is between 190-230.
    One site I just went to says:
    For a man 5 foot - 106 lbs - Every inch on top of that add 6 lbs.
    For a woman 5 foot - 100lbs, and every inch on top add 5 lbs and then 10% either way.

Ideal body weight (within 10% approx) http://www.sportsdoctor.com/chg/n2.html

Like others have said, you can't force someone to do something if they are not ready too. Do you think he's over weight? or just out of shape.
    Go for a bike ride together, a walk together.

:flowerforyou: You've done awesome losing 136lbs, with his help.
    What reasons would he give you that he doesn't want to join you in getting healthy?
  • StacieRoth
    StacieRoth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    He really doesn't give me an answer, except to tell me that he thinks he doesn't have the time for exercise, but if he took the time that he was sitting down watching tv or on the computer, he could at least get in a 15 min workout.
  • StacieRoth
    StacieRoth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I work out at both, a local Curves, and I do an aerobic walking workout at home. I want him to join me in that, but he gets too winded he says.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options

If you had a bad habit that your husband didn't like, how would he go about making you change? IT is difficult to make a grown up change if they don't want to. All you can do is get yourself healthy and maybe he will join you in your journey
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I work out at both, a local Curves, and I do an aerobic walking workout at home. I want him to join me in that, but he gets too winded he says.

You may want to go to a gym that caters to both men and women. My wife and I go to the same gym. We have different goals so we don't do the same work outs. We do encourage each other. If he is getting winded he may want to get a physical before starting exercise. A trainer may be helpful.
  • SDawgW
    SDawgW Posts: 160 Member
    Options

You may want to go to a gym that caters to both men and women. My wife and I go to the same gym. We have different goals so we don't do the same work outs. We do encourage each other. If he is getting winded he may want to get a physical before starting exercise. A trainer may be helpful.

I was going to suggest the same thing re: going to a gym that both men and women go to, but my suggestion was for a different reason. If your bf knows you're going to be in the company of other men, he might change his mind about going, too :wink:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options

For him to get winded means he is out of shape. He needs to know it will get better and he won't always be winded. There's only going to be one way that he won't be winded.

When I first started, I was winded going up 1 flight of stairs. There was 1 day where I had to go up two flights of stairs. I didn't want anybody to see me on the 2nd floor gasping for air.

Let him look at some before and after pictures. It's a great motivation thread.
    It will always overwhelming to start, but 1 day, 1 week at a time, it will get better.

6 months ago I was winded walking up 1-2 flights of stairs. Now I'm jogging and started running most nights.

Perhaps this aerobic workout, can you take it a down a notch so he won't be so winded until he catches up to a level where you are?