Vegetarian...What can I eat?

Options
Lately I, and my Best friend, have been thinking more and more abut becoming a Vegetarian but we'd like to know more about what we can and cannot eat.

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    ? You cant eat meat.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Pescatarian is more fun.

Fish is f*cking delicious. The oceans were put on this earth and filled with life for the purpose of feeding me.
  • tawny2727
    tawny2727 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fruit & Veggies, Meatless products (spicy black bean burgers, meatless corn dogs in the freezer section), whole grain pasta, low fat Mexican (brown rice, black beans & cheese), etc.

Good for you, Good luck!
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    if you like meat why are you cutting it out?
  • roachhaley
    Options
    Pescatarian is more fun.

Fish is f*cking delicious. The oceans were put on this earth and filled with life for the purpose of feeding me.

^^^ This. Plus fish is great for you and relatively low cal depending on how you prepare it.
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Quorn mince is great.x
  • nongie06
    nongie06 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've been off meat for a year now. I am a lazy cook (though) and prefer steamed vegs and fruits-easy foods. It has assisted with my weight tho. So try it.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    You can eat anything except things that were alive - so, no fish, chicken, beef, etc. If you want to be a little stricter, no eggs either (that's how vegetarians eat in India). Everything else is fair game - fruits, veggies, grains, legumes, etc.
  • roachhaley
    Options
    Quorn mince is great.x

One time the freezer got unplugged and two packages of quorn went rotten over the weekend. Smelled wonderful.
  • teresacc26
    teresacc26 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    ? You cant eat meat.

Obviously Roach.....What I mean is What CAN I eat...Not what can I Not eat...:noway:
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    ? You cant eat meat.

Obviously Roach.....What I mean is What CAN I eat...Not what can I Not eat...:noway:

Everything but meat. It's simple really.
  • teresacc26
    Options
    if you like meat why are you cutting it out?

I have heard and read and seen documentaries abuot how cutting out me can help you health wise..and i said Im Thinking about it...im getting more info on it to see IF i want to do it or not....i already dont eat Red meat and Im not big on chicken....so its wldnt be too hard,....but I jus wanna see for myself and hear from others how it worked personally for them
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your choice! I am a former vegeterian and have much repect for anyone who is begeterian/vegan. I actually researched a bit online..there are websites dedicated to the lifestyle, books, etc.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/

http://www.vegkitchen.com/

here are two...but literally just google "vegeterian recipes" and you will find loads! Best of luck and keep up your hard work!!:drinker:
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I am a vegetarian....my diary is open!! :) You can eat that stuff :) I get all the protien I need! :)
  • teresacc26
    Options
    ? You cant eat meat.

Everything but meat. It's simple really.

Mayb I wasnt Clear.....What are some IDEAS of meals i can prepare or Foods thats are considered a sort of meat substitute ???
  • teresacc26
    Options
    Congrats on your choice! I am a former vegeterian and have much repect for anyone who is begeterian/vegan. I actually researched a bit online..there are websites dedicated to the lifestyle, books, etc.

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/

http://www.vegkitchen.com/

here are two...but literally just google "vegeterian recipes" and you will find loads! Best of luck and keep up your hard work!!:drinker:

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    i don't understand WHY but here are some ideas..

--ww pasta w/ garbanzo beans, feta, and peas
    --brown rice stir fried with peppers, snap peas, and onions.
    --sweet potato topped w/ yogurt, almonds, and honey
    --baked potato w/ veggie chili, cheese, sour cream
    --baked tofu and baked fries w/ dipping sauce
    --sandwich or wrap with hummus and veggies
  • verdammtwenig
    Options
    Was a vegetarian for a while. It's really easy to NOT be a healthy vegetarian (too much pasta, cheese, etc.). I would recommend, if you want to learn lots of recipes, to pick up How to Cook Everything Vegetarian by Mark Bittman. It's a treasure trove of recipes.

I liked to eat lots of beans and rice instead of replacement meat (tofu, soy dogs, tempeh, etc.). My favorite recipes are Chili (w/ walnuts), black bean burgers, chickpea burgers, really any kind of bean burger, curried chickpeas and rice, quinoa salad (w/ veggies and a balsamic vinagrette), hummus (SOOOOOO easy to make if you have a food processor...you can eat it on bread, w/ pretzels, w/ veggies), burritos (w/ whole black beans and chipotle peppers), cooked kale and chickpeas.

I think the most important thing to remember if you want to eat healthy as a vegetarian is that you need to eat VEGETABLES. And lots of them. Sautee up a ton of veggies at breakfast and put them in your eggs, sautee up a bunch of veggies and put them in a pasta sauce, load up a pizza with tons of sauteed veggies, SNACK on veggies. I think the best thing about me being a vegetarian for that year or so was that it really made me appreciate raw vegetables.

Anyway...hope that helps.

Also, beans and rice is a complete protein, so if you eat that for a meal every day, you should be set.
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't rely on pre-packaged meat substitutes. It's really hard to make vegetable products taste like meat.

I rely pretty heavily on beans, lentils, rice, corn, pasta, root vegetables, squash, broccoli and greens.
  • redcat17
    redcat17 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I think its fine to incorporate some prepackaged meat substitutes while you are making the transition to a vegetarian diet. There are many non-meat sources of protien, like tofu, tempeh, beans, legumes (lentils and peas), soy mik, etc. One thing you want to watch if you eat dairy is the saturated fat content of cheese can be very high.

I like to make quinoa and bean salads, curries with lentils, chilli with beans, whole-wheat pasta with veggies and sometimes some tofurky sausages. Try incorporating more fresh raw and cooked vegetables in your current diet to start. There are many good and healthy vegetarian cookbooks and recipe web sites that you can find to help.