Protein

Can one of you more "experienced" people please explain how critical it is to remain under the protein on here?

I just put in all my food for the rest of the day, and yet again I'm well over protein (-13). I can NEVER stay under protein. No problem staying under calories, carbs or fat but I don't think I've ever been under protein, no matter how hard I try.

Replies

• JChever
    JChever Posts: 3 Member
    I was wondering the same thing. I have tried and tried but find it very difficult to do.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Can one of you more "experienced" people please explain how critical it is to remain under the protein on here?

I just put in all my food for the rest of the day, and yet again I'm well over protein (-13). I can NEVER stay under protein. No problem staying under calories, carbs or fat but I don't think I've ever been under protein, no matter how hard I try.

MFP sets protein intake quite low, in my opinion.

Additionally, it is important for you to stay reasonably close to your caloric intake goal. It is important for you to meet or exceed your protein and fat targets (assuming they are set up reasonably well). Generally speaking, if you exceed protein and/or fat you should try to end up under on carbs as they are the least important physiologically.

EDITED to change wording slightly, please note.
  • ashley516
    ashley516 Posts: 63 Member

MFP sets protein intake quite low, in my opinion.

Additionally, it is important for you to stay reasonably close to your caloric intake goal. It is important for you to meet or exceed your protein and fat targets (assuming they are set up reasonably well). Generally speaking, if you exceed protein and/or fat you will end up under on carbs as they are the least important physiologically.

That was informative. Thanks. Right now I'm 469 under my calories, 55 under carbs, 19 under fat and 12 over protein. I'll add a snack that's decent in calories and has enough fat for me to meet that part of it.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,728 Member
    I changed my protein to 30%. The protein requirement on MFP is a minimum not a maximum.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Unless you have a medical condition where you need to limit how much protein you have in your system (can be hard to eliminate excess with things like kidney problems), there is no problem with exceeding the protein limits MFP sets. I think it's something like 20% of your calories by default. I try to make nearly 40% of my calories as protein every day!
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    you are better off being over on protein not under. MFP is waaay low at 15%. I have mine set at 25P / 30F / 45C, a lot of people do 30/30/40.
    Im sure its something like 1g per 1lb of lean body weight for protein, 0.35g per lb of total body weight from fat, and the rest made up as you wish. (if this is not right someone please correct me!)