MFP newbie + P90X = need friends with experience! :)

Options
This is my first time trying to improve my lifestyle all the way around. Although, I just started it seems like a lot of work already. lol!!! But, we are all here for many of the same reasons - to change.

What started it for me, was the daggone infomercials!!!

Yes, I fell for it. I ordered the P90 x and decided to clean out my fridge and replenish it with healthy food. I went to the supermarket and started reading the nutritional labels (never did I imagine myself doing this) and seeking non-fat, low sodium, light products.

Then, I found a few apps (my fitness pal (yay) and accupedo) to help me during my "pre-P90x" phase.

Embarrasingly, I received the "anticipated package", opened it up and started reading, however, I got scared. Anyway, I realized that I didn't have all the extras to begin my "journey" and little did I know that there was a fit test. wheeeeew!!!

I couldn't start my P90x until I got all those "things" that prevented me from starting. lol! So, I decided to extend my "pre-P90x" while keeping up with MFP and starting to walking my doggies (as a first and easy step). Who am I kidding....it was an excuse!

To my credit though, I have been cooking all my meals in advance and logged on MFP (I have a week's worth of lunch and dinner), I've increased my water intake, most importantly, I am sticking to it. Lastly, I am "psyching up" to begin my fit test later on (today) ahhhhhhhh! P90X here I come!!!!

If you'd like to ADD me, go right ahead :)

Replies

• Cleaver6
    Cleaver6 Posts: 1
    Options
    I went through the same 'fear' of starting P90X after I received the DVD's late in 2010. I read through the manual and the details of the fit test and thought, perhaps too confidently, "I can do that". I put in the first disk, chest and back, and continued being confident, not yet actually having started any exercises. I kept rationalizing with myself that the lack of a real pullup bar prevented me from starting. I finally acquired one of the pullup rigs that you hang in a doorway, and off I went!

Or not. I made it through the first workout, a bit less than one hour, and gave up.

Then, in August of 2011, I used my son's upcoming November departure to Navy boot camp as impetus to start the program again. He was a scrawny, computer game playing geek. I was a fifty-something, overweight and out of shape dad. We made it through the 90 days. We just kept pushing play and doing our best. My son gained 12 pounds of muscle and I lost 32 pounds.

You can do it! Yes, you'll need a few weights (I bought a set of the adjustable ones that range from 5-55 pounds), a pull-up bar or bands, and that's it. Just do as many reps of the exercises as you can, even if it's only 1 or 2 to begin with. You'll get stronger and your endurance will improve. Best of all, you'll feel better and have more energy within about ten days.
  • cheap_thoughts
    cheap_thoughts Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Let's just be clear on this, you really don't need all that extra supplements they try to push on you. If you eat healthly, you'll have no need for them.

My suggestion is to do the LEAN program if you've never worked out before. However the CORE dvd is horrible to do on the first day. I modifed mine (have yet to do it, but everything takes a little bit of time) and hopefully I will not injure myself. I know a lot of people who did this and hurt themself. If you feel like you cannot do it, then do not. You'll be soooooo sore though. :D
  • Rochachakelly
    Rochachakelly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I seriously hate core synergistics! :) I'm doing the classic P90X and am in week 9. I think it's great, and agree you don't need the supplements (though my husband seriously loves the shakeology). I'm counting calories, not being insane about it (haven't cut out alcohol or really anything - just practicing moderation) - and I've dropped 12 pounds in 9 weeks. Weight does not come off of me easily so this is a real accomplishment for me.

I know others doing the lean program who like it. I really don't think the classic is that bad - the Plyo is hard, but modify, modify, modify. I have really bad knees, and modified - or skipped - every plyo exercise at the start (and iced my knees every night!). 9 weeks later and I can get through a lot of them with only small modifications. I've strengthened the muscles around my knees and it's made a huge difference.

So - the moral is - push yourself, but not to the point of actual joint pain. It's a fine line that I jumped back and forth over (literally)for the first 3-4 weeks. But around week 6, I felt a real difference in my knees, and now they are so much stronger, which was one of my big goals in starting the program. So stick with it, and DON'T quit because of the pain! Skip an exercise, catch your breath, and do what you can - it will eventually come to you. :) Good luck!
  • btm03
    btm03 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 of P90X (classic). I begun in twice before and never made it past 3 weeks. I am determined this time to get through it. I was more hesitant with the nutrition plan than with the exercise, but I am finding it not has hard as I thought it would be. Feel free to add me as a friend and we can motivate each other!
  • belanie01
    Options
    Hi i am belanie i am a mum of 2 and are hoping to lost around 1 stone as i hav already lost 2 stone i would like to make some new friends on here who can support me through my travels plz add me and lets b friends xx
  • JBurger2066
    JBurger2066 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site. I love the P90X (and other beach body workouts, Insanity and P90X2). They're great and you can work your way into them. They show modified moves for everything, so like Tony says, do your best and forget the rest. It WILL be tough at first, but it will get "easier" and more fun as well. The workout is incredible, especially if you stick with the diet plan. I've had a lot of friends use various Beach Body workouts and get great real results, not just something you see on an infomercial, but actual results. It's all about what you put into it. It sounds like you're taking the necessary steps to reach your goals. Feel free to add me.
  • angiemartin78
    angiemartin78 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I have ordered and received (yesterday) my P90X, but have yet to take the fit test. I AM SCARED! However, I can't wait to give it a whirl! Good luck to all of you!
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    I have been through P90X 1 and a half times. My husband was actually the one ordered it (and he didn't quite make it through). I didn't have much weight to lose, but lost a lot of inches.

I use the bands (even though we have a pullup bar) and have some hand weights. That's all you really need. We didn't get the supplements. Just do as many reps as you can. As you get stronger you can add more reps or more weight.

Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • ARMom8251
    ARMom8251 Posts: 194
    Options
    I haven't done the P90X to their schedule yet, but I do the workouts for strength training two to three times a week. It works for me, and I like it that way. I do the AB Ripper X workout every other day regardless of the other exercises I do it is just the best core workout and I love the pain. So the best of luck to you...it is def. an effective workout program I have seen amazing results just doing it my way.
  • coachbeav
    coachbeav Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am a Beachbody coach and would love to help you out on your journey in any way I can. I started P90X in October at 190 lbs and 25% body fat and now am at 165 lbs and 12% body fat. If you truly commit to the program you will see amazing results. I love everything about the programs. Anyways, if you need any help with anything please let me know.
  • imani164
    imani164 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I keep starting the P90X, but can't seem to get passed the first week. I really need motivation because it is hard. I am 280 pounds with no upper body strength and bad asthma. I'm at a stand still. Any suggestions?
  • jessica_120214
    jessica_120214 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I loved P90X...Plyometrics was a beast! I also did Insanity, which is my favorite of the 2. My problem is that I continued to eat whatever I wanted. I am currently starting Turbo Fire and started using my fitness pal. I am hoping to finally see all of my hard work pay off! Good luck with P90X and remember...."do your best and FORGET the rest!"
  • coachbeav
    coachbeav Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    The best advice anyone you can give you is to keep pressing play. You may not be able to do all the moves or hardly any but as you continue to press play you will get better and better. I couldn't do everything on my first round either, but now on my 3rd I always try to do more than they do and most of the time I succeed. Keep up the hard work and if you need motivation or help just let me know.
  • KayakAngel
    KayakAngel Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 months into P90X Lean, maximizing cardio. I was intimidated at first too, but it just wasn't as hard as everyone said it would be. I had been doing Jillian Michaels dvd workouts (she's a beast), and P90X wasn't really harder than those, just a lot longer. I was somewhat sore after a few of the workouts, but really, there was no reason for me to be intimidated. Now, I will admit that I can't do a single pullup, but I'm using bands, trying to work up to that. It's a great program - I've loved it. :)
  • stevecpo
    stevecpo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm just finishing week three of P90X. Just need to sort my diet out as its hard when you're on the move.

Good luck with it :)

Steve