Need to Stay on Track!

Options
heidihurl
heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
:happy:
OK.. so, here I am at another cross-road. I have lost, gained, lost, gained and lost again... My whole life has been full of journal writing about my weight.. my food, what I love, hate, cherish... etc.. and I have not kept with it. I start with fervor and end by fading into the sunset.

What has worked for me in the past was WW. I HAD to check in. I HAD to face up to the scale. Here.. I can type in the RIGHT things.. but did I actually DO it? YES I can....

So.. I am approaching this like WW. I love checking in.. typing in my weight and food... it's fun. I just need the encouragement and help from some of you out there.

My weight is OK.... I would like to drop "ideally" 10 pounds by summer. But.. I don't see that happening Currently I weigh 132 and dream of being 124-125... So, reality strikes.. 10 isn't happening. 7 is possible.. a pound a week.??!!?? This whole new phase of my life of menopause is scaring me... I hate my new body and self.. I can't even recognize myself anymore. Sad but true. Any suggestions out there?

Tears of joy and hope.... Why? Because I will feel so much better about myself. That's why.

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Seems like you have the right attitude! I know I'm a yo-yoer too. Up and down and up and down and up again! Staying on track is a must for me now, finding an allergy with many of my favorite foods kinda forces me into eating what I should anymore. Just can risk the reaction anymore. I feel so crummy for so long when I do eat it, it's just not worth it!

If you want to add me as a friend, feel free! I always like new friends. And I try to be as supportive as possible to all of them!
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I would also suggest that you record your measurements right away at the beginning. Then, if the scale doesn't slows down, you can still see progress.
  • carberrie
    carberrie Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Heidi! I think what might help is really paying attention to not just the calories but what you eat. I find that when I up my protein and reduce my carbs (not atkins-like, but no white bread, just ezekiel bread, no more than 1 serving size per meal and fruit) then I start to chip away at the last 10 lbs. And for exercise, do you do cardio or weights or both? I might swap out some cardio for weights too. It will actually pay off in the long run. I'm one of those people too who just wants to lose that 10-15 lbs that I picked up along the way! Just joined here a couple weeks ago :)
  • xMonroeMisfit
    xMonroeMisfit Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I agree, keep track of those measurements in addition to a scale.

I left WW for MFP, this to me is much more simpler.
  • MissGND
    MissGND Posts: 11
    Options
    Hi Heidi!

I definitely know what you mean about the up and down, and the menopause. When I was young I was chubby, as a teenager I lost the weight but then had children and gained a ton (it felt like a ton at least), it took me 2 years after my last child was born to lose the weight but... then I started going through menopause, at a very young age(26) and slowly gained weight for 4 years, lost 60lbs and then kept it off for 2 years, then gained 100lbs, lost that after a year of crazy diet and exercise regime, and now have gained 80lbs of that back after 4 years. I have to lose the weight again and this time find a way to keep it off. Being a diabetic and having no metabolism makes the weight issue twice as hard to control, but I will control it, it will never again control me!

Menopause can change everything but you have to find a way to work around your hormones and everything that comes with it. healthy diet and exercise as well as a multi vitamin/menopause supplement with calcium and iron will help keep your energy and weight under control, and help with the hormone imbalance. Menopause side effects include mental and emotional changes but that is pretty much up to you to decide how you are going to let it affect you. I chose not to allow hormones and the lack of a menstrual cycle determine my future or my body image.

If you need someone to talk to or vent to, let me know, I am always happy to lend an ear. I am sure you can get through this and come out looking and feeling good!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    35t0jy.jpg

Definitely take measurements, they will tell you more than the scale.
  • heidihurl
    heidihurl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi Heidi!

I definitely know what you mean about the up and down, and the menopause. When I was young I was chubby, as a teenager I lost the weight but then had children and gained a ton (it felt like a ton at least), it took me 2 years after my last child was born to lose the weight but... then I started going through menopause, at a very young age(26) and slowly gained weight for 4 years, lost 60lbs and then kept it off for 2 years, then gained 100lbs, lost that after a year of crazy diet and exercise regime, and now have gained 80lbs of that back after 4 years. I have to lose the weight again and this time find a way to keep it off. Being a diabetic and having no metabolism makes the weight issue twice as hard to control, but I will control it, it will never again control me!

Menopause can change everything but you have to find a way to work around your hormones and everything that comes with it. healthy diet and exercise as well as a multi vitamin/menopause supplement with calcium and iron will help keep your energy and weight under control, and help with the hormone imbalance. Menopause side effects include mental and emotional changes but that is pretty much up to you to decide how you are going to let it affect you. I chose not to allow hormones and the lack of a menstrual cycle determine my future or my body image.

If you need someone to talk to or vent to, let me know, I am always happy to lend an ear. I am sure you can get through this and come out looking and feeling good!

Oh wow! Thanks so much for the support and words of advice! I will take you up on lending an ear! My Mom isn't around anymore, and I didn't have anyone to WARN me of all the stuff that happens to my body... Ugh...