Free Weights vs. Machines

Options
What do all of you seasoned lifters feel about this? I think the FW are better, but at my gym, it can be a very crowded testosterone-filled place. Do you feel you get the same benefits from the machines? TIA!

Replies

• Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Me, personally, I perfer the free weights or benches. Some machines do more harm than good is what one of my personal trainer buds tell me.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I see some of the big boys using the machines, namely for triceps, biceps, and leg presses.
    The tricep/bicep makes sense because they are isolation exercises already.

At my gym, the squat rack is almost always open, so that's my go to place, and it's really versatile.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    You run the machines in order to isolate specific muscles, most of the time. Free weights allow for a more natural range of motion and incorporate more muscle groups. Thus it becomes even more important to focus on form, therefore is more complicated, therefore is generally more avoided. Don't let complication get in the way of a more all round workout from lifting free weights.
  • pobski
    pobski Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I see some of the big boys using the machines, namely for triceps, biceps, and leg presses.

At my gym, the squat rack is almost always open, so that's my go to place, and it's really versatile.

Works great for curling in!
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Agreed
  • bellalavita11
    Options
    I've been lifting for 25 years and I like a combination of the two. Both seem to hit the muscles differently. For weight lost and muscle maintenance I like lifting heavy 2x a week and other two days with lighter weights, higher reps, and more plyos.
  • robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Squat rack....that's the thing that makes me stick my butt out, right? Hmmmm....I will have to think about that one. Not sure I am ready for that. Not sure that anyone else is ready for that either!
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Every time i see a Bro doing curls in the squat rack i die a little bit inside. So sad.

Personally, i like free-weights and i like having my own set (cheap on Craigslist!) and not have to compete w/ anyone for space or equipment.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Free weights!! Machines have their uses, but I would never say they are better.

It's a crowded testosterone-filled place at my gym too (the whole gym, machines and free weights) I love it though, you get used to it :smile:
  • gamehen2
    gamehen2 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I like the free weights because it requires a lot more stabilization work from your core to maintain proper form. It results in a better overall burn in addition to working the muscle group you are targeting. But the machines have their place too. I think a good routine incorporates both.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I like to switch it up and do both. Mostly I use the machines when switching up my leg exercises. I'll use the leg curl, leg extension, ab/adductor, donkey kick, leg press. I use the sled for my calves since my legs are too short for the calf machine.

We don't have a squat rack but we have the smith machine which I use for my squats, chest and shoulder exercises. The cable machine is good for the tri's and bi workouts.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    IMO, free weights are far superior to machines. Forget about the guys in the weight room, get in there, pick up the barbell and dumbbells and start lifting!

I was a little intimidated at first but now the guys at my gym admire and respect me a great deal. They always comment on how hard I work, how strong I am, and how dedicated I am. Once they know you're serious about getting lean & strong, they will feel the same way about you.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Depends on the context, both have their place.
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I prefer free weights and my old PT swore by them. You have to work harder to stabilize and make your movements fluid. Plus, I noticed with some machines that because I am so short it's easy to hurt my back because the supports are in the wrong place and cannot be adjusted far enough for me.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Squat rack....that's the thing that makes me stick my butt out, right? Hmmmm....I will have to think about that one. Not sure I am ready for that. Not sure that anyone else is ready for that either!

br608_1.png

This thing.

Can do shoulder press, squats, deadlifts (near it), bicep curls (why wouldn't you?) and various other exercises. It's basically a barbell that is laying around unused in many gyms
  • dvisser1
    dvisser1 Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Free weights are pretty much always better. With free weights you work the main muscle group as well as the small, stabilizing muscles around every joint in use. Machines are self stabilized so you lose that very important benefit. Also machines have a set range and path of motion which may or may not fit with your body. With free weights, more specifically dumbbells, you work all the stabilizing muscles and work in your body's natural range and path of motion.

The only exception being the cable machines where it's basically a hand grip attached to a cable. Used properly those do a decent job of replicating the use of dumbbells. The only true machines I use are for leg press (when I do those instead of squats) and lat pull downs (because I'm not able to do pull ups yet).

If you're not sure of how to use certain equipment or do a certain exercise, either talk to a trainer at the gym or simply talk to one of the guys in there lifting. From my experience most of the guys will be happy to give someone a spot or help someone with form if asked, but are generally there doing their workout and minding their own business. In my gym I also see 3-4 women in lifting with the dozen or so guys, so you might find some women to talk to if you're more comfortable with that.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,550 Member
    Options
    Free weights for compound lifts.

Machines for isolated exercises.

I practically live in the squat machine, or nearby. :bigsmile:
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Me, personally, I perfer the free weights or benches. Some machines do more harm than good is what one of my personal trainer buds tell me.

Agreed I like both myself but I have the control when using the free weights and with the machines they are a hassle sometimes and can do more harm then good. But I will use both.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    I use both depending on what I'm doing. For Drop Sets, and Giant Sets it's more efficient to use machines. For some FST-7 training it's better to use machines and/or cables.

I do use alot of heavy compound lifts with free weights also.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I like the free weights because it requires a lot more stabilization work from your core to maintain proper form. It results in a better overall burn in addition to working the muscle group you are targeting. But the machines have their place too. I think a good routine incorporates both.

Ditto!!!! I like the leg press and leg curl, also the row machine and the cables (for side crunches the cables are awesome). I would say I do 75% free weights and 25% machines for my everyday lifting routines, whether it is leg day, shoulders and arms day, or back and abs day.