Work out Clothes

Options
This is a silly question but since I have been working out more I have realized I like some things on work out clothes and I have very few clothes that fit those specs. I like a tight/tighter shirt, shorts that have pockets... that sort of thing. So now that I am dedicated to actually doing this and being a healthy person again I need some new clothes.

Where do you guys get your workout clothes? What do you like in workout clothes? Is there a brand you swear by?

Yes, this is a ridiculous question, its about getting out there not looking good doing it, but this is utility first, looks second, so opinions?

Replies

• robinskv
    robinskv Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at althleta.com? It is really good quality, but pricier. You get what you pay for, for sure. I have gotten things at Target and other stores like that, and they just can't stand up to the sweat an constant washings!
  • nancycsel
    nancycsel Posts: 47
    Options
    My problem is I don't want to spend a lot of work out clothes...some prices seem outrageous! Any good brands that aren't super expensive or are worth the cost?
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    This is a silly question but since I have been working out more I have realized I like some things on work out clothes and I have very few clothes that fit those specs. I like a tight/tighter shirt, shorts that have pockets... that sort of thing. So now that I am dedicated to actually doing this and being a healthy person again I need some new clothes.

Where do you guys get your workout clothes? What do you like in workout clothes? Is there a brand you swear by?

Yes, this is a ridiculous question, its about getting out there not looking good doing it, but this is utility first, looks second, so opinions?

I love stuff by adidas and Champion. I buy my gear from Amazon.
  • TynkEMT
    TynkEMT Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I got my work-out clothes at Wal-mart. I love love love the Danskin brand. I am only 5'4" so I can't wear the long pants but the capri's are awesome. I have two pair of the fold-over top bottoms and matching racer back tank tops with support bras in them. I also wear a sports bra just because I am (well started at) a 44DDD. Danskin has the shorts and capris in the skin tight as well.

Good luck and NO it wasn't a silly question!!!!
  • CrumCake81
    Options
    Hey Piscula, not a silly question at all. You may laugh at my suggestion but I get mine at Wal-Mart. They are cheap. I just got a sports bra, shorts, and sleeveless shirt all for $15.00. Target has a lot more of options as far as color and you wanted the pockets and all that but they are kinda pricey. But I would try both places. Hope this helps.
  • Revenga1980
    Options
    I just look around for sales. I've gotten some awesome stuff at the Nike Outlet store near where I live, also Sportcheck sales. Winners
  • moeviegrl
    moeviegrl Posts: 52
    Options
    I'm not quite yet able to fit into "normal size" workout clothes but I did go shopping yesterday and saw some awesome clothes that I am sure you'd fit (You look smaller then me in your profile pic) and like. Old Navy has awesome workout clothes and Eastern Mountain Sports has alot of good workout clothing too (but unlike old navy they only go up to an xl). I would recommend looking online to see what they have to offer and getting an idea of what you would like and then go into the store. They may not have it in stock but atleast you'll be able to get an idea of what you are looking for before you get there. As for me, I prefer tank tops made out of breezy and soft materials. As long as they do not cling to my stomach and come down below two inches on my butt, I am happy. I also prefer shorts made of stretchable material. Personally, I hate the pockets. Prefer without. But I also wear a workout belt I purchased at Walmart when I ride so I am able to keep my keys, pepper spray, and ipod on my waist and not bulk up my shorts. :)

As a side note, to anyone who rides or runs or does any exercise outside in the public, please be smart and carry pepper spray! Even if you live in a very peaceful and quiet area, you never know what may happen. A wild animal may attack you or a dog might run at you. Or worse yet, a person may try to attack you. Having pepper spray on you as part of your "work out clothes" may make the difference between getting away and staying alive, or not. Be safe, men and women. :)
  • brittanidigby
    brittanidigby Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I work out in tight/small mens boxers and a tank top. lol It's more comfortable to me.
  • piscula
    piscula Posts: 17
    Options
    Thanks for all the wonderful answers :)

I think I will try target later today, since that is on my way home and just see if there is anything there that might be good. I guess its a pretty even split between people who prefer to spend a little more and have longevity versus people who buy cheap and plan to replace?

All my work out clothes are from high school. Things are looking a bit ratty regardless of original quality, haha.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds cheap, and if it does so be it, but I like Danskin brand from Walmart. I have really long legs, so my yoga pants have to be either ordered off Old Navy online, or I've discovered that Target carries them in longs (Champion brand). But when it comes to tee's, shorts, capris, and sport bras I like Walmart stuff.
  • dmanning0819
    dmanning0819 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Look on the sophie website. Great bargains!
  • MereBear1985
    MereBear1985 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I don't have a particular brand that I like but it is worth spending a little more money. When it comes to tighter fitting workout wear you most definitely get what you pay for. I have a pair of Nike shorts that I have had for years, no matter what weight I am they seem to fit and I payed probably $40 to $50 for them.
  • lilbpixie
    lilbpixie Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love marshals I got a sports bra, capri pants (with a back zipper pocket), and a tight shirt (with built in bra) for $40
  • Grandysl
    Grandysl Posts: 189
    Options
    I go with anything that is seasonally appropriate, being a guy I think function of style.. I have a lot of stuff from Target. Some Wal-Mart, and even a few Underarmor. I like the skin tight compression shirts, long or short sleeve, depending on season with a t shirt over that. In cooler weather it is any kind of hoodie. On bottom, spandex/compression shorts, regular shorts and if necessary sweat pants. I prefer the newer pants not the old cotton ones. Some of the t shirts I wear are gettting pretty worn, but really they are on there becasue I would scare people if I was wearing the compression shirt wth out something over it.

I say go with what feels comfortable to you and what you can afford.
  • piscula
    Options
    I'll add the sophie website and walmart too. People seem to love the Danskin brand so that seems like one to check out :D

Thank you guys! Keep the opinions coming!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

As a side note, to anyone who rides or runs or does any exercise outside in the public, please be smart and carry pepper spray! Even if you live in a very peaceful and quiet area, you never know what may happen. A wild animal may attack you or a dog might run at you. Or worse yet, a person may try to attack you. Having pepper spray on you as part of your "work out clothes" may make the difference between getting away and staying alive, or not. Be safe, men and women. :)

I agree, I carry a "runner's" pepper spray when I'm out on the trails by myself. It has an elastic strap that straps it to your hand so you can have it ready if you need it. Never had to use it, and hope I never will, but you can never be too careful.

I also agree with getting what you pay for. My Nike and Under Armor gear has held up WAY better than anything I've gotten at Target. You can find stuff on sale at sporting good stores or at outlets though, I love Nike and Under Armor!
  • dmanning0819
    dmanning0819 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'll add the sophie website and walmart too. People seem to love the Danskin brand so that seems like one to check out :D

Thank you guys! Keep the opinions coming!

http://www.soffe.com-Sorry, here is the website
  • piscula
    Options
    I also agree with getting what you pay for. My Nike and Under Armor gear has held up WAY better than anything I've gotten at Target. You can find stuff on sale at sporting good stores or at outlets though, I love Nike and Under Armor!

I have some old underarmor stuff and that might be what has held up the best in the multiple years since I've gotten it.

This is a good point.
  • tracyface399
    tracyface399 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I totally buy my stuff from Target. I love their sports bras, not crazy expensive, but comfy-$16. And they have workout pants that come in short... which I need! And they are also comfy and not a lot of money. Good luck!
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    do you have a marshalls anywhere near you? I've been dropping sizes and can finallly fit into 'normal' workout clothes....but i was in florida and found some AWeSOME stuff at Marshalls for super cheap! I got like 6-7 pair of name brand running shorts (like nike, addidas, reebok, under armor) and a couple of tanks, along with socks and a medicine ball all for less than $100 dollars...also if you have outlet malls near you, their clearance racks are good places to pick up cheap stuff! (and obviously more quality)