Hey swimmers, ? on swim caps

Options
I've just finished an Adult Beginner Swim class (yay for late bloomers) and am really loving swimming. My hair is super annoying in the pool and now that I'm on to my second swimming session, the instructor recommended I get a swim cap. I've seen them at the store and they seem to be made of a few different materials. Are there pros and cons to each or is a personal preference? Anything I should look for? They are pretty inexpensive, so I can always try a few out, but I'd love recommendations and experienced suggestions. TIA!

Replies

• Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Silicon is good if you want completely dry hair after a swim, but it pulls your scalp off your face better then any facelift, and sits around your head like a steel band. It gives me headaches >.<

Since really tight caps give me headaches, I bought a really large natural rubber one (i have thick 3ft long hair) and used that for a bit. However natural latex can provoke skin allergies. This hat wont keep your hair completely dry, but it will keep it all out of your face.

if you find your hair is all over the shop, I don't put mine in a pony tail, I plait it instead. Its tighter, and keep it out the way for me :)
  • nicolemarie045
    nicolemarie045 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Personally I prefer the silicone to latex, as latex tends to get stuck to my hair and pull on it. If you do choose latex (they are much cheaper, about $3 to the $12 for silicone) use some baby powder in it to help with not pulling hair. Silicone also lasts much longer in my opinion. I bought a speedo one about 2 years ago and use it 1x a week for lap swimming with no problems, and i always used silicone when competing as well.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    yes, if you get a swim cap get a silicone one. They cost a bit more than the latex ones but are much stronger and don't break as easy. Also if you get a latex one you'd need to put baby powder inside before you put it on and after to stop it from sticking together (so annoying!) The cloth ones are okay but they stretch out easily especially if you have a lot of hair and end up falling off after awhile.

You should probably also get goggles if you don't have a pair.

Also don't forget to rinse your bathing suit and cap of the chlorine after you're done so they last longer, and never roll a wet bathing suit into a towel - it's not good for the suit.

You might also want swimmer's shampoo.

(I'm a former competitive swimmer who used to swim every day)
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I wear silicon because they're supposed to last longer. I have really long hair, and have never had it stick/pull/pinch. It's really the only way to keep it out of my face... Even French braiding didn't seem to work.

I was surprised to read that somebody says it keeps their hair dry because mine is drenched when I get out of the pool (but I wear mine in a sloppy bun under the cap, so I can see that's proably why I don't get an actual seal).
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Great information, thanks everyone!

I definitely have the goggles and I'm good about rinsing the chlorine from my suit, but what is swimmer's shampoo? Would I find it at a regular store or a specialty shop?

And, now that I'm thinking of it...do any of you do anything special to protect your skin (especially face) from becoming excessively dry? I'm not sure if it was a combination of running outside in the wind the day before with the pool cholorine or what, but my cheeks were bright red and burning dry last night!
  • Awkward30
    Awkward30 Posts: 1,927 Member
    Options
    Ive never even tried to keep my hair dry in a swim cap. I put my cap on in the water lol... Might try that sometime!

I use whatever cap I happen to get free!
  • badgeratheart
    badgeratheart Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I use a silicone cap as well. Latex was really pulling on my fine hair. There are also cloth spandex-like caps, but I've never tried them. As for shampoo, I use Paul Mitchell's Shampoo 3. It was recommended by my hair stylist and works well. Another recommendation was to wet my hair in the shower and put conditioner in it, but not rinse it out. Then put the cap on, swim, and shower as I normally would afterwards. I haven't tried that yet, though. Never want to take the time before hand.

I don't do anything differently for my face, but I am certain to bring my face lotion with me. It does hurt if I forget.
  • margebouvier
    margebouvier Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Back in my competitive swimming days, I would wet my hair completely in the shower before putting my cap on. Because, a) it's so much easier to get a latex/silicone cap on and b) your hair will not "drink up" as much chlorinated water when it's already saturated.
  • iwantahealthierme13
    iwantahealthierme13 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I had a hard time finding swimmer's shampoo in the stores but there is a kid's variety on the shelves in some stores called "L'Oreal Kids Swim & Sport" which works pretty good. (small blue bottle) and is probably cheaper.

The one I use, I found in the US last year (I'm in Canada) at Sally's Beauty Supply (I think it was), it's called Ion Purifying Solutions (this is also a blue bottle), I'm pretty sure you can also buy it online.