Water

Options
porrasc
porrasc Posts: 23 Member
How much water in a day is to much water?
I am already at 6 cups of water for the day and it isn't even lunch yet.
My breakdown is 3 cups of tea, 1 cup of coffee, and 2 cups of propel zero. The next 3 cups of water are just going to be plain water.
Where do I call it quits?

Replies

• mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    When yougo to bed! drink away!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don't count my tea or coffee as water --

water is water :)

I drink a ton of it!
  • Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    When your not thirsty.. IT's just water.. i drink close to a gallon a day. People on here will warn you about over hydration even though that is such an extreme that you should notice any signs if you ever got remotley close to that....
  • tobirhae
    tobirhae Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There is no "too much" water. I easily drink 12-15 cups of plain water each day, sometimes more. I don't ever stop because I've had enough water.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    When yougo to bed! drink away!

THIS
  • porrasc
    porrasc Posts: 23 Member
    Options

I drink a ton of it!

I only count my coffee and tea because I don't add sugar or creamer to it.
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    It's pretty much impossible to drink too much water if you're just sipping away throughout the day.

Over-hydration is more of a concern if you drink A LOT in a short period of time.
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you are going to the bathroom frequently.
  • yeshuasbride
    yeshuasbride Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My chiropractor says we need to drink half our body weight a day in water. For easy math, if you weigh 200 pounds then you need 100 oz or 12.5 glasses of water a day. My trainer added that you should lose 3 to 5 pounds of water during your workout that needs to be replenished. A pint is a pound, so for every pound you sweat out replace with 2 cups of water on top of the half you body weight amount. Also, for every caffeinated cup of beverage match it with a cup of water. because caffeine is a diuretic and will dehydrate you. Alcohol is also a diuretic. Hope this is helpful.
  • rdewitt1
    rdewitt1 Posts: 5
    Options
    Do not count anything with caffeine as your water. This is why. Caffeine is a stimulant which increases your heart rate and metabolism in turn using more water. Only count your water as water and drink at least 64 ounces. If you eat a lot of salt or sweat a lot, drink a lot more water. You can only have too much water if you aren't urinating. Otherwise any extra water just exits your body when you urinate, so you don't have anything to worry about.
  • jjmcahill
    jjmcahill Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think, this is just my opinon, that you need to drink at least 8 cups of pure water...anything else (i.e. tea, coffee, propel) is just extra and does not count towards the 8 cups. Interested to see what others think of this subject?
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    Water intoxication is extremely rare. The odds of you drinking too much water are so much smaller than the benefits of drinking lots of water that I wouldn't bother thinking about it. That said, normal healthy kidneys process 1 liter of water/hour (about 1/4 gallon) so if you are exceeding that there is a risk of electrolyte imbalance. As long as you are chugging multiple gallons in minutes it's really not something you'll need to worry about.
  • emyishardcore
    emyishardcore Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I try to drink about 3-4 litters (about 15 cups of water) and that does not include tea or coffee.

Oh yah I forgot to say I drink my tea or coffee pure.
  • DeepBreaths
    Options
    I do not count coffee as its a diuretic.

Think of yourself as a flower pot, if you pour too much water on it just runs out the bottom. If you go with drip irrigation, the plant is able to make the best use of the hydration.

Also a good trick is any time you feel that sneaky 'downer' feeling, take a drink and wash it away!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options

I drink a ton of it!

I only count my coffee and tea because I don't add sugar or creamer to it.

I dont add that either. I drink it black but it can be diuretic