Eating Clean w/Bread

Options
MegRuthie
MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
I am trying to research into "eating clean". I know its a fairly simple concept, and that it takes a long time to be good at it, but my biggest weaknesses are bread, tortillas, and pastas. Is there a way to factor these into a clean diet? (In moderation, of course)

Is there such thing as a healthy tortilla?

Replies

• Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    This article is a good read about 'clean eating', puts the whole thing in perspective a little.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/
  • kbizzleoo
    kbizzleoo Posts: 114
    Options
    Well as far as tortillas go ive heard that corn tortillas are better for you.

As far as bread goes - I've been eating Ezeikiel bread, which is sprouted grain bread and supposedly more digestable!
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    For tortillas I buy 100% whole wheat. To me they are just as delicious as flour tortillas :)
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned you can eat Ezekiel bread, it's like 5 bucks a loaf and doesn't taste horrible.
  • popat89
    popat89 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    The items you mentioned are my weakness too and I am trying very hard to eat clean. I used to eat 45 calorie bread and while it's low cal it's not wholesome. Ezekeil 4:9 is a great choice as far as breads are concerned. I try and stick with corn tortillas but a burrito is just better in a flour tortilla. Look for a a brand that is made with 100% whole wheat and has a short, simple ingredient list. There are many types of pasta out there but try substituting pasta with veggies. I know it's not exactly the same but it's pretty darn close in some cases. Have you tried spaghetti squash? It's delicious! Veggies taste great with pasta sauce over them (I may be partial to this because my favorite part of pasta is the sauce, not the noodles). I'm vegetarian so I also eat tofu with pasta sauce instead of noodles from time to time.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    As someone else mentioned you can eat Ezekiel bread, it's like 5 bucks a loaf and doesn't taste horrible.

Especially if you love cardboard
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    This article is a good read about 'clean eating', puts the whole thing in perspective a little.

http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/the-dirt-on-clean-eating/

While I certainly think there's value in pursuing a diet that consists of mostly nutrient dense foods, the above article is spot on. Practicing food elimination sans any individual intolerances or allergies/medical conditions, is not a good practice for long term success.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I do buy Ezekiel bread, and have to say it isn't really all that good unless you toast it, in my opinion.

Right now, I am making my own bread--half whole wheat and half white flour. It is delicious, and can be sliced super thin. The slice I had for breakfast had 43 calories--not a huge, awful excess of calories. If you want the recipe, message me, OP.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I am trying to research into "eating clean". I know its a fairly simple concept, and that it takes a long time to be good at it, but my biggest weaknesses are bread, tortillas, and pastas. Is there a way to factor these into a clean diet? (In moderation, of course)

Is there such thing as a healthy tortilla?

It's easy to cut it out. Just do it.
  • BrandiD56
    BrandiD56 Posts: 103
    Options
    I've been wondering about cleaning eating as well. Thank you.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Isn't eating clean about eating more fresh, whole foods and fewer processed (aka junk) foods? While bread, tortillas, etc. may be processed, they can still be part of a healthy diet. Just make sure you're eating whole grains and choose organic. Or, learn how to make bread yourself so you can control what goes into it.
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You could try making your own bread. I use a book called "Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day" and have fresh bread every day. I particularly like their ten grain bread recipe. It really does only take about 5 minutes of active effort on any given day (longer to actually cook of course) and it tastes great. They have a website http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/ that has some sample recipes, but your library might have it too.

You can also make corn tortillas quite easily if you have a tortilla press; they cost around $15.

Also, be sure to read the ingredient lists for the foods you buy. There are tortillas made with two or three simple ingredients and there are other brands with ingredient lists a mile long.

If you ask for a definition of "clean eating", you'll probably get as many different responses as there are users on this site. For me, I think of it as a diet that adheres closely to what Michael Pollan writes about in his book "Food Rules". Read it if you haven't already. It is a short, super fast read and full of good, easy, practical advice on eating less processed food. It's not a diet book, although I occasionally think of myself as being on the "Food Rules Diet" since I have been modelling my healthier eating habits on his advice.
  • aekaya
    aekaya Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Google how to make flax bread; I think it's as simple as adding flax seed to egg whites and olive oil, and you can even microwave it to "bake" it (there's a youtube tutorial of this out there somewhere, lol). It's low in carbs and high in protein and healthy fats and tastes pretty good too!