Carb Crisis----please help

Options
So I've got this thing on Saturday that requires me to wear a formal dress. Instead of buying a new one I decided to recycle one from my skinnier days. In order to wear this dress, I 've been on a super low carb "crash diet." I've followed this diet before during the Atkins craze and did ok. (lost 25 pounds)

Anyway--I've been low carb for over a week and working out. I've lost 2 pounds and the dress fits better.

My concern is this...

I've been checking my urine for ketones twice daily. At first I had large amounts. Now I have none. I have not cheated. I have evaluated for hidden carbs. Is it possible that super negative carb consumption can stop ketone production?

I am 5'4 and weigh 130.

Replies

• chimpoco
    chimpoco Posts: 193
    Options
    So I've got this thing on Saturday that requires me to wear a formal dress. Instead of buying a new one I decided to recycle one from my skinnier days. In order to wear this dress, I 've been on a super low carb "crash diet." I've followed this diet before during the Atkins craze and did ok. (lost 25 pounds)

Anyway--I've been low carb for over a week and working out. I've lost 2 pounds and the dress fits better.

My concern is this...

I've been checking my urine for ketones twice daily. At first I had large amounts. Now I have none. I have not cheated. I have evaluated for hidden carbs. Is it possible that super negative carb consumption can stop ketone production?

I am 5'4 and weigh 130.
  • jpwarner
    jpwarner Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Dangerous as if you are not burning carbs, you can be burning smooth muscle mass, which just happens to be what your heart is made up of.

Your crash diet can hurt you in the long run, so you have to ask yourself what is more important, fitting in that dress now or keep your health for the long run.

Remember what they say: "You didn't get to what you weigh over night, don't expect to lose it over night."
  • BlazinEmerald
    Options
    Burning high amounts of ketones is not good for your body. The higher the ketone count in your urine means the more sugar passing thru your kidneys and urinary tract lleading to urinary tract infections and kidney infections! If you take a look at a diabetic diet they warn you about this. Diabetics are periodically tested by their dr.s to make sure this ISNT happening. I know you wanna wear the dress , hell we all have a piece of clothing we'd love to be able to wear, it just isnt worth hurting yourself in the process.

My 2 cents
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    A WEEK? ouch, chimpoco, that's a dangerous game you are playing. Only under doctor supervision would I EVER advise going without carbs (and they almost only ever do this when people are obese and can afford to do this type of thing). You realize you are risking organ damage by doing this right?
    This is how my wife lost her gall bladder.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I know, I know, I know - counting carbs instead of calories isn't good but....I have gained weight with counting calories instead of carbs.

To make that stick purple, drink your eight glasses of water per day, then drink another glass for each 10 lbs need to lose for your "ideal" weight. Also, you must incorporate 45 minutes of exercise into your daily activity. You should see a more rapid loss with more exercise.

Good luck! Please take my advice and don't do this for a long period of time (more than two weeks) without taking a multivitamin, calcium replacement and and and fibre replacements!
  • emtink
    emtink Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    wouldn't it be easier ( and less dangerous) to sweat out the weight like boxers and wrestlers do?