Pregnant & don't want to lose progress...

Options
So I have been on a see-saw with my weight ever since my 1st son was born. I am 5'6" and I was about 110lbs when I got pregnant with my son, by the end of the pregnancy I was like 200lbs, so they weight didn't come off to quickly. I stayed around 140-150 once I stabilized, now it's 4 years later and I did put on some more weight after a back injury from a fall, I was up to 160 in Dec 2011 and just got back down to 150 and now I found out I'm 6-7 weeks pregnant...I was still working to lose the original baby weight gain, so I really want to be better about my diet/exercise this time around but without hurting/starving the new baby!

My goal weight is 130...I'd like to try to stay at 150 after giving birth since I still have a long way to go to goal...I sit all day for work, but am already very active, many of which activities I won't be able to do as the pregnancy progresses (running, horseback riding, high intensity workouts) and I already try to eat healthily though I do indulge in junk food or end up eating out because of work etc. but I am on my way to a much healthier diet in general.

How do I keep myself moving in the right direction and still be good to the baby????

Replies

• Claire594
    Claire594 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Bump. Want to hear peoples responses
  • flobee76
    flobee76 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I think your main concern right now is a clean, real food diet, and exercise. I know that dieting during pregnancy is really not what's best for you or your baby. Focusing on NUTRIENT DENSE foods is what you want to do.

You should change your caloric intake during pregnancy, add about 500 calories per day (this is according to my OB). Make sure you are still eating plenty of fruits, veggies, meats, poultry, fish, eggs, etc. Get good fats in, they are VITAL to baby development.

EXERCISE DAILY! Walk, yoga, pilates, stationary bike, etc.

Take care of yourself and that baby! :) Congratulations!
  • chetnabhatt
    Options
    bump...Would love to gain more info..
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cask16
    cask16 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Wow - looks like its really not possible :(
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Baby first, weight loss later. Priorities!
  • C4r4W4de
    C4r4W4de Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    This is a tricky one. I weighed less when both my boys were 6 weeks old than I did before I got pregnant. My trick was to eat extremely healthy, keep active and BREASTFEED once that baby is born. I nursed them both for a year without ever using formula. The fat literally melted off my body.
  • flobee76
    Options
    Wow - looks like its really not possible :(

Why the sad face??

Be happy... it's a baby! So worth it. :D
  • flobee76
    Options
    Baby first, weight loss later. Priorities!

This!!
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Make healthy choices, stay away from junk food. Get exercise. Remember you are not eating for two. That baby is really small and does not require double the amount of food. When I had my daughter I only weighed 10 lbs more than my pre pregnancy weight. Congratulations and good luck! =)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I think your main concern right now is a clean, real food diet, and exercise. I know that dieting during pregnancy is really not what's best for you or your baby. Focusing on NUTRIENT DENSE foods is what you want to do.

You should change your caloric intake during pregnancy, add about 500 calories per day (this is according to my OB). Make sure you are still eating plenty of fruits, veggies, meats, poultry, fish, eggs, etc. Get good fats in, they are VITAL to baby development.

EXERCISE DAILY! Walk, yoga, pilates, stationary bike, etc.

Take care of yourself and that baby! :) Congratulations!

The only time you need to up your calorie intake in in the last trimester or three months. Before this eat normally and as healthy as possible. Although you cant do all your exercises swimming, yoga and walking are all good exercises to do while pregnant. Also have a look online to see if you can find some prenatel exercise dvds.
  • CountryGirl84
    CountryGirl84 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone :)

No my goal during pregnancy isn't weight loss, it's just to maintain a healthy pregnancy and healthy weight so that I can continue my weight loss journey after the pregnancy. Baby is priority one :) But I also know staying healthy and fit helps during delivery and that is important too!

I also am starting pregnancy #2 off with an extra 40lbs than my original 110lbs that I started my first pregnancy at, so I don't want to gain the same way I did with the first one! I gained about 90lbs! This time my healthy goal is 25-35 for the entire pregnancy...according to drs that should be a good goal and all my baby needs to be healthy and happy. I just need to make it happen :)