Women consuming more than 100g PROTEIN...

Options
to the women consuming more than 100g protein // consuming much MORE protein than carbs..... if you are doing consistent cardio everyday and aiming for weight loss.. have you noticed your body change with losing fat or did you really tone up and gain muscle mass from consuming alot of protein?? I am trying low carb and high protein but don't want too bulk up by running alot..

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    You won't gain muscle mass by eating protein alone. You need to consume extra calories (as in surplus, not deficit like for weight loss) in general to gain mass, and you need to work out HARD to gain muscle mass. Women can't get bulky muscles in general, unless you are either one of those RARE women who have a lot of testosterone or are taking something to bulk up. Protein alone won't do it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just eating protein is not going to make you gain muscle. Running will not make your muscles bulky, quite the opposite usually. Depending on your definition of "bulky", it's unlikely that you get that way without making a real effort to do so.
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    i have my macros set to 40/30/30 so while I'm eating over 100g of protein (about 125g) I'm still getting more carbs than that so I'm curious what kind of ratio you're getting if you're low carb and only over 100g protein... or just sticking to a mostly protein diet?
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Eating protein isn't going to make you bulk up or lose fat... eating extra protein will help maintain the lean body mass, the muscles that you already do have. Especially if you are in a deficit...

Running isn't going to bulk you up either.

Losing fat will help uncover the muscle you ALREADY have. You will have to eat at a surplus and work your butt off to gain a significant amount of muscle.
  • TinkrBelz
    TinkrBelz Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I eat around 150 protein and 100 carbs. I do cardio and my stregnth training is calisthenics....sometimes hand weights at home.

I have not bulked up at all. I have lost the fat around my waist, ribcage, butt, and thighs. And, what I have left is nice lean muscle. Now, I am sure that I could get more muscular, but that would require me doing heavy lifting. But just increasing your protein is not going to give you "bulkier" muscles.

I have lost almost 12lbs doing what you are describing.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    echoing what others said. You won't get bulky or gain more muscle from eating protein & cardio. Women don't get bulky even from heavy weight lifting and eating higher protein together.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I eat over 100g of protein a day but I also eat more carbs than that. You will not gain muscle by eating protein at a calorie deficit especially if you don't lift weights.

BUT you should lift weights. If you do, you might gain some muscle since you'll be new to it, but it won't be very much and it'll just make you look better not "bulky".
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 40/30/30 and while I am eating more than 100g of protein, I am still getting the majority of the nurtients from carbs. You won't add bulk.
  • eatmoreveggies
    Options
    I'm new to MFP but I've done high protein low carb before and lost 25 pounds. I didn't bulk up but I did get stronger by lifting weights. I'm back to my eating plan so I can lose the 12 pounds I added due to a medication and stress eating. Protein and lower carb satisfies my hunger more than anything else I've tried.

10131858.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • AmandasJourney2012
    Options
    trying to eat low carb, high protein.. as I tend to gain weight from eating carbs from grains/wheat which i'm trying to cut down
  • mollydubs
    mollydubs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I eat a high protein / low(er) carb diet and incorporate running, weights, and a ridiculous amount of walking a couple days a week in my exercise routine. I doubt it's 100% related to the food but my body fat % has dropped substantially as has my weight and my metabolism is more or less super charged, it seems.

I also used to think working out made me "bigger" (In my own eyes) but it certainly doesn't anymore. While not 100% protein/carb related, I do think it is responsible for a significant amount of my current body composition.
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I eat more than 100 grams of protein but that makes up about 30-40 percent of my macros. I still eat more than 100 grams of carbs a day. Eating a lot of protein won't build muscle. You have to lift as heavy as you can, ease up on intense cardio and eat enough (protein/carbs/fat) in order for that to happen.
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Eating protein isn't going to make you bulk up or lose fat... eating extra protein will help maintain the lean body mass, the muscles that you already do have. Especially if you are in a deficit...

Running isn't going to bulk you up either.

Losing fat will help uncover the muscle you ALREADY have. You will have to eat at a surplus and work your butt off to gain a significant amount of muscle.

This ^^^
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    to the women consuming more than 100g protein // consuming much MORE protein than carbs..... if you are doing consistent cardio everyday and aiming for weight loss.. have you noticed your body change with losing fat or did you really tone up and gain muscle mass from consuming alot of protein?? I am trying low carb and high protein but don't want too bulk up by running alot..

You're a woman, you won't bulk from muscle gain simply by running. Heck, I'm a man consuming lots of protein lifting super heavy and I still have a Difficult time gaining muscle.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    Just echoing what everyone else said. I try to eat over 100g of protein a day, but my carbs are also above 100. The only way you're going to addd muscle bulk is by lifting heavy for hours everyday , taking anabolic steroids, and eating at a surplus. Eating protein will not magically make you gain muscle.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    The only way you will 'bulk up' is by having an unnaturally (for a woman) high amount of testosterone. This does not happen from consuming protein. I have a friend that regularly eats near 200 g of protein a day and she is far from bulky and has awesome muscles. Protein is your friend, just make sure you get enough fiber so your system can digest it and move out the extra.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    The only way you will 'bulk up' is by having an unnaturally (for a woman) high amount of testosterone. This does not happen from consuming protein. I have a friend that regularly eats near 200 g of protein a day and she is far from bulky and has awesome muscles. Protein is your friend, just make sure you get enough fiber so your system can digest it and move out the extra.
    This friend, she doesn't happen to be a 5'10" redhead, does she? :wink:

Oh, and what hiker said is correct.
  • mistylee0104
    mistylee0104 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    I do a mix of Cardio and Weights...but once I made goal slowed down on the cardio and focus more on form/weight/ and eating and I also upped my protein...I do see a difference in my body..more toning and definition trying to peek out there at me...Haven't had my Body Fat checked in a minute...Think i may make that one of my goals...but I can say everything feels and appear tighter... NO bulking here...
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You won't bulk up. It's hard enough for men, next to impossible for women without some kind of "aid".

You definitely won't bulk up running. Running will do more for eating into muscle mass (ever seen a muscle bound marathon runner?). But if you are getting plenty of protein then maybe that will help counter-affect (effect?) the catabolic stresses of running.

The body uses protein and fat for body/cellular maintenance and repair. Things other than energy. If a calorie is a unit of energy then how can the protein and fat calories that are used for maintenance and repair be counted towards energy intake. if you are eating 1200 calories a day then you are actually getting less than 1200 calories a day because some of the protein and fat calories isn't used for energy.

Carbs are an energy source. They aren't used for any kind of maintenance/repair.