Multi-Vitamin Recommendation?

Options
Can anyone recommend a good multi-vitamin to take on a daily basis? My main concern is that I bruise way too easy and a lot of people say it's probably low iron, but I also read you shouldn't take just iron pills because too much can be bad - there's always exceptions it seems to these things. Not that I did not go to the doctor for any tests like some people have suggested I do. Figured I could just start taking a multi-vitamin to start and see how that goes.

Replies

• percyjones
    Options
    I take GNC Mega Greens Vitapak. It is one of the best multi I have taken. They have one specifically for women also. Try it.
  • Dnsnyder
    Dnsnyder Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I take One-A-Day Women's Complete Multivitamin.

Edit to add: Applying Arnica gel to your bruises may help them heal faster. =)
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    A cheap one because you pee most of it out. Make sure it has your daily allowance of folic acid and take it before going to bed that way you won't pee it out until in the morning.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with the large multi-vitamins like One A Day, etc. so I buy Centrum Chewables Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement, Tablets, Orange flavored and they are fine for me.
  • gdean428
    gdean428 Posts: 25
    Options
    I take GNC's Women's Ultra Mega ACTIVE twice a day. I love it. Gives me metabolism and energy support (but not too much to make my heart race). I've been taking almost a year now.
  • bodymindharmony
    Options
    The best way to get your vitamins is to eat the rainbow, a mix of fruits and vegetables. However, if you have to take a multi I'd suggest getting one that is made from raw fruits a veggies and isn't a crappy mix of synthetic junk that the company isn't GMP certified - I'd suggest http://www.vitamincodevitamins.com/ which you can get at any health food store. This way it assimilates in the body much better than those compressed derivatives.

I'd also suggest getting a basic blood test, you may be low in iron, but you can always eat goods high in iron - dark leafy greens, dried prunes and raisins and legumes. Also - women have less to worry about when getting too much iron. We get rid of it "once a month" anyway and are generally in need of more iron. Men need to be more concerned with getting "too much" iron as they don't release it in anyway.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Bruising easily can be many things, some of which are much more serious than an iron deficiency. Leukemia is one of these things. I would check with my doctor before playing vitamin roulette.
  • karabasik
    karabasik Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with the large multi-vitamins like One A Day, etc. so I buy Centrum Chewables Multivitamin/Multimineral Supplement, Tablets, Orange flavored and they are fine for me.
    That
  • phillieschic
    Options
    Swanson Daily Multi-Vitamins & Minerals...and always take with food.

For the bruising, just find a daily multi with added iron...I agree, iron by itself is tough -- too hard on the colon! :wink:
  • TONYAGOOCH
    TONYAGOOCH Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I take Centrum Multi-Vitamin for Women. It seemed to have more of the vitamins than the One A Day brand.
  • lilvonne80
    lilvonne80 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I take GNC's Women's Ultra Mega ACTIVE twice a day. I love it. Gives me metabolism and energy support (but not too much to make my heart race). I've been taking almost a year now.
    That is what I take I love the extra energy. I agree with the above post it dosent make your heart race.
  • theprices
    theprices Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Opti-Women Multi ~ on bodybuilding.com
  • seebeachrun
    seebeachrun Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I didn't even see the bruising issue. If you haven't been to the doctor in a while you might want to schedule a quick checkup. I was having major issues with bruising about 2 years ago and I thought it was an iron deficiency. I took multivitamins for weeks and still kept bruising badly; large, painful, and dark brusies that took weeks to heal.

In all honesty, I was going through a rough patch at the time and had increased my drinking from once a week to almost daily. Come to find out my liver was being affected and wasn't flushing out my system properly. Once I cut down on the drinking, the problem cleared up.

That said, there are many reasons why you could bruise (low iron, liver problems, leukemia, etc...) and a routine checkup and blood test from your doctor may be a good idea.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    Bruising easily can be many things, some of which are much more serious than an iron deficiency. Leukemia is one of these things. I would check with my doctor before playing vitamin roulette.

agreed. can also be a sign of poor liver function. you should see a doctor and ask them for recommendations.
  • RikanSoulja
    RikanSoulja Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Animal Pak
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I agree that you should get a full blood workup before making assumptions about being low on iron. If you want to add a multivitamin in addition to going to the doc, I take flinstones multi since they have just about the same amount of stuff as adult vitamins or the chewy one-a-day. I find if I take the normal Women's One a Day on a non-full stomach then I get a really upset stomach. Really any multi is probably fine for a general addition to your diet.
  • bella51708
    Options
    I feel kind of silly admitting this, but I take a children's chewable twice daily per my doctor. They taste great and I get all the nutrition I need without having to swallow a large pill.

They contain 100% of your DRV of iron. I too have had problems with low iron and taking these everyday has improved it.

I also take a calcium supplement (Citracal Petites) twice a day.
  • louisey112
    louisey112 Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Thank you ALL for your comments. I will have to review each of them and think about what to do. I hate going to the doctor's, but I may have to make an appointment. Still think I'll try vitamins for a couple of weeks then make an appointment. Thank you all again, much appreciated. I love the support! You all rock :)
  • rubysphoto
    rubysphoto Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    We take Biobasics in powder form and is bioavailable so you do not lose the nutrients from it.
    http://www.lifeplus.com/media/pdf/pisheets/US/6132-PI_EN.pdf
  • akshayam29
    Options
    this site can be helpful for you choosing a right multivitamin supplement.....i recomment xtendlife...

http://www.multivitaminguide.org/