Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Is to much gatorade bad?

Ok so I have a terrible time getting my water in. Getting any water at all sometimes. I have tried the lemon in the water, I have tried the drink packs to add to water bottles. I love gatorade, but is drinking your days water in gatorade bad?

Nutrition facts:
total fat: 0
sodium: 160 mg 7%
potassium 45mg 1%
carbs 21g 7%
sugar 21g
protein 0g

Replies

• SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    I'm afraid so. With all the sugar and calories Gatorade has (400 cal, all in sugar, for your minimum water needs), it isn't any better than Coke.

If you're having trouble getting your water in, I would suggest drinking a big glass when you get up and before every meal. If you use a 16-oz glass, that's all the water you need.
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    I probably wouldn't drink it in place of water. Unnecessary sugar and calories. I absolutely hate to drink my calories.
  • Yes, bad idea. One a day? Sure.... in place of water completely? No... tons of calories and sugar. Gatorade is meant to replenish you after working hard. It shouldn't be a regular drink that you have whenever you are thirsty.
  • I love gatorade, but is drinking your days water in gatorade bad?

Everyday? Yes :wink:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    If it prevents you from getting the proper amount of fat, protein, vitamins, and minerals in your diet, or puts you well over your calorie limit in order to reach your nutrition goals, then yes, it's bad. Otherwise, if you can fit it into your nutrition plan (let's be honest, though, that's not likely) then it is fine. If you need the Gatorade, go for the low or no calorie version.
  • ChristiCare
    ChristiCare Posts: 179 Member
    ARGGG! Thanks everybody, it does all make sense. I will just have to suck it up and drink water.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Too much of anything can be bad. Even Oxygen.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Yes, hence the term "too much."
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    But it has the electrolytes that living things crave!!!!!! :wink:

idiocracyfoodpyramid.jpg
  • oldmanstauf
    oldmanstauf Posts: 202 Member
    But it has the electrolytes that living things crave!!!!!! :wink:

idiocracyfoodpyramid.jpg

Haha! The Thirst Mutilator!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Would you take a bath in it?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Try Mio in your water, it's the bomb and zero calories. I guzzle it daily. (12-14 cups typically).
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    How about using those flavored water mixes like Crystal Light or even Diet Lipton tea? You'd still be getting plenty of fluids but no where near the amount of calories, sugar, sodium, etc.

Gatorade's good for recovery if you're really active but not something you should drink all the time and definitely not a water replacement.

Our tap water at home is really gross so what I usually do is mix up those flavored drink mixes like Hi-C or Koolaid or Lipton Tea then just add a little to my water. I'm talking 1/4 to 1/2 cup added to 2 cups of water so it's really watered down. I don't like them full strength (too sweet) and that little bit is just enough to make the tap water palatable (sp?).
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    I have IBS and drinking a lot of water does very bad things to me. The low calorie Gatorade is better, but even that has to be limited because of the high sodium levels. I've found that drinking water with food helps a lot. I limit myself to no more than 32 ounces of low calorie Gatorade a day as my doc says that's an acceptable sodium intake.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    well - too much anything is bad.
  • cdubbz11
    cdubbz11 Posts: 17
    Bump
    My uncle is doing research through a dental clinic on Gatorade. Not only is it just as bad as cola (caloric wise), it's worse than cola for your teeth! There's something in it that just binds to your teeth and destroys them. Try drinking crystal light if you need flavor (Only 5 calories per 8 oz).. or the MiO water additive drops. Most of the MiO's count as nothing and they're pretty good.
    Hope this helps :)
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    If you have enough of it, and not enough water, it can cause kidney stones. Ouch! (Did have this happen to me!)
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Ok so I have a terrible time getting my water in. Getting any water at all sometimes. I have tried the lemon in the water, I have tried the drink packs to add to water bottles. I love gatorade, but is drinking your days water in gatorade bad?

Nutrition facts:
    total fat: 0
    sodium: 160 mg 7%
    potassium 45mg 1%
    carbs 21g 7%
    sugar 21g
    protein 0g

It's just sugar water with a bit of salt tossed in (ooooh, electrolytes!). Unless you drink it during or after a long peroid of exercise, gatorade is straight bad for you.

Just stop drinking sweet things. Initially you'll really miss them, but afterwhile that sugar craving will go away.