What do you put your protein powder in?

Options
I'm not really a shake/smoothie person, but I need to add some more protein and good calories. I read that you can add protein powder to pancake batter, and that sounds like a good idea. What are some other good substrates for protein supplements, and what kind of powder/flavor would be good for that application?

Replies

• Quickster34
    Quickster34 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I use it in pancakes, other baked good like muffins and other recipies by jamie eason (they are amazing) , also add to cereal occasionally just to make the cereal worth it calorie wise for me. people add chocolate flavored protein to coffee as well, its not too bad , as for flavor for baking i usually stick to vanilla , but drinking always some kind of chocolate
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Almond milk or oatmeal.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I've put protein powder in muffins before and pancakes. I also made a sorbet and put a bit of protein powder and some milk, re-froze it, didn't turn out well. Anything that uses flour I feel will do fin with a scoop of protein powder. Usually they have sweet flavors but I have two that blend well with out adding any sweet flavor. Peaceful Planet Pea Protein and MLO Brown Rice Protein. Good Luck to you!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    bacon
  • TrinkaHil
    Options
    I just started with protein powder myself. I haven't added it to food yet, but I make a smoothie with it after every workout. Scoop of double chocolate powder, 2/3 c fat free milk, a banana and some ice. It tastes so good after my workout and fills me up too. I have yet to be able to choke down vanilla powder. I've tried adding it to coffee, milk and even just water, but it is just too gross for me
  • freebttfly
    Options
    Im a simple gal ... 1/2 milk & 1/2 water mix w/ice is all I add to my protein powder. Mind you, its flavored ... chocolate. My sister does up smoothies with just about any fruit and yogurt/sugar-free ice cream. Many varieties there!!
  • JonesJennings
    JonesJennings Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I had a bowl of rice crispies with protein shake instead of milk. It was epic.

Never tried it with pancakes. My wife makes pretty nifty dropscones, we'll have to try the protein enhanced version next time we make them.

Also, I wonder if it would be possible to make a protein-rich bread? You could even chuck some raisins or chopped dried peaches in there to make it intresting.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Also, I wonder if it would be possible to make a protein-rich bread? You could even chuck some raisins or chopped dried peaches in there to make it intresting.

Sweet powder might do really well in a quick bread, like banana or zucchini. The pea protein or the brown rice protein (thank you SO MUCH--I've been wanting one that isn't dairy or soy) could do nicely in yeast bread, or maybe I could use it in gravy. I guess there's also egg white protein powder out there, which could be good for baked goods. I also like the oatmeal and yogurt ideas.

My cook's brain is a'churning--I will report my results. Thanks a million, everyone!
  • foot2wood
    foot2wood Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    steel cut oats, plain greek yogurt(my fave), on breakfast cereal, etc.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    oatmeal, peanut butter and bananas
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I put mine in tomato soup, nonfat greek yogurt, oatmeal, soy milk...it didn't mix well in cottage cheese. :embarassed:
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    bacon

Might have to try that.

I mix mine in H2O straight up. Sometimes with an ice cube or two but still just H2O. I don't like to waste calories or make my food not as yummy by putting the protein powder in it. It you do it straight up and get it over with then you are good to go. And actually mine don't taste bad but some of them out there are downright nasty tasting.
  • osubrndn
    osubrndn Posts: 32
    Options
    i just put mine in a water bottle...I think it's good and simple/easy. I just use GNC brand protein and i think it tastes good. I have no desire to mix it with something mildly unhealthy
  • thelegend81
    Options
    Make some flap jacks but instead of sugar add the protein powder. Amazing to have just before a work out :0
  • ijustmightbecrazy
    Options
    Personally I just do 2 scoops in 12 oz of milk and shake it, but here's a recipe for protein pancakes that's pretty tasty.

Protein Pancakes

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup rolled oats
    * 1/2 cup fat free cottage cheese (or low fat or full fat)
    * 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
    * 2 tbsp flaxseed meal
    * 1/4 tsp cinnamon
    * 1 tsp vanilla extract
    * 1/4 cup water
    * pinch of salt
    * 1/2 tsp aluminum-free baking powder
    * 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder

* cooking spray or coconut oil
    * agave syrup

Direction

1. Heat medium size skillet to medium heat.
    2. Place the oats, cottage cheese, apple sauce, flax, cinnamon, vanilla extract, water, and salt in the blender and blend on high for 1 minute, until incorporated thoroughly.
    3. Add the baking powder and protein powder and give the blender a few quick pulses to incorporate.
    4. Coat the skillet with oil and pour 1/4 of the batter on the skillet.
    5. After bubbles begin to form around the edges, flip the pancake to cook the other side.
    6. Remove pancake and continue to cook the rest of the cakes.
    7. Serve with agave syrup, fruit, peanut butter, etc.

Tip: Place cooked pancakes in a slightly warmed oven, to keep the heated while you finish making the rest of the batch.

Yields 4 servings.
    Nutrition

Per pancake

Calories: 111
    Fat: 2 g
    Carbs: 12.5 g
    Protein: 12 g
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    water, it's simple and to the point.