Need some No Carb/Low Carb snack ideas!

Options
Okay....so i read the book "wheat belly", and i've decided to (attempt) to give up wheat/wheat products. I work a 12.5 hour day, where i basically sit CONSTANTLY...I've got meals down...but i'm looking for some snack ideas that stay within that diet i can have at home or take to work. What are your favorites?

Replies

• slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    BACON!
  • hazelsmrf
    hazelsmrf Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    String cheese, cheese cubes, hardboiled eggs, steak strips, beef jerky, pepperoni chips (nuke in microwave until crispy), cheese crisps (nuke on parchment in the microwave until crispy), celery sticks stuffed with cream cheese, cucumber/cream cheese "sandwiches", tuna salad with celery sticks, chicken wings... off the top of my head.
  • dellamac
    dellamac Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Celery, apples, grapes,
  • hazelsmrf
    Options
    Oh, nuts of course. I also ate sunflower seeds in the shell because it took me forever to eat a small amount of them so the fact that they're seeds wasn't an issue. And olives and pickles.
  • LadyWingsFan
    Options
    Peanut butter, turkey pepperoni (only Hormel, because that tastes the best!), nuts, greek yogurt, cheese, bacon :)
  • CoCoMa
    CoCoMa Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Strawberries with cream!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I keep cans of coconut milk at my desk. Either full-fat or sometimes light coconut milk and I'll add some protein powder to it (I follow Primal Blueprint).

Hard -boiled eggs can be thrown into some water in the AM while getting ready for work. 20 minutes total. I turn it off at boiling and then just let them sit in the water until the timer goes. And hard-boiled eggs can sit at room temperature for quite a while without going bad.

Bacon can be put on a cookie sheet, put in the oven and then just turn the oven on to 400 for 20 minutes (maybe a little less). No preheating required (and save the bacon fat - that stuff makes my weekend fried eggs taste sooooo yummy!).

And nuts but remember that most nuts have huge amounts of Omega-6 (except macadamia nuts) so they need to be in moderation.

Or some very dark chocolate. Lindt Excellence makes an 85% dark chocolate bar that has 5g of sugar in a serving of 4 squares. 15g total and 6g are fiber. Sometimes I'll have this with my coffee.

Canned tuna or canned salmon. I keep seasoning grinders at my desk. I have a grinder of sea salt.

Oh wait you said snacks. These are actually my meals. I don't eat snacks.

Predators gorge and fast. Prey grazes. I'm a predator.
  • jennyb612
    jennyb612 Posts: 83
    Options
    Almonds!
  • meredith55
    meredith55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Love these ideas. I forgot about some of these from years ago, when I was on Aitken's, especially celery and cream cheese. I mix cream cheese with chopped green olives and some of it's juices. Nom nom Thanks for the ideas.
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Google: kale chips. Extremely awesome, versatile, and easy!
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    lots of things have already been listed, but what about pickles? Low carb, no calories. The only catch is the sodium.
  • shoeluver67
    shoeluver67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    String cheese, cheese cubes, hardboiled eggs, steak strips, beef jerky, pepperoni chips (nuke in microwave until crispy), cheese crisps (nuke on parchment in the microwave until crispy), celery sticks stuffed with cream cheese, cucumber/cream cheese "sandwiches", tuna salad with celery sticks, chicken wings... off the top of my head.

OUTSTANDING!!!

LOVE the pickle idea too!! never thought of that. Thanks everyone...keep 'em comin' :-)
  • _Schatzi_
    _Schatzi_ Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free jello cups with lite whipped cream!
  • shoeluver67
    shoeluver67 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Great Ideas...and i'm intrigued by the Primal Lifestyle as well. Maybe it's time i did some "Preying"! haha
  • hazelsmrf
    Options
    Sugar-free jello cups with lite whipped cream!

Not light whipped cream if you're doing low carb though, you want the good full fat stuff! :)
  • LReneeWalker
    LReneeWalker Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I really need to go shopping... yall are making me protein hungry!
  • escadachic
    escadachic Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure eggs, cheese, milk and tomato's are all pretty low carb.

All the ingredients for an omelette too by the way and quite filling.
  • TheDoctorDana
    TheDoctorDana Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    When I did it, I lived off pork rinds :) Also, take sliced ham and turkey and salami and cheese, layer, spread on cream cheese and roll around a picle spear then cut into medalions. Carb free "sushi"! lol
  • hilarysgiants
    hilarysgiants Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bumping for later :)
  • kimberly0416
    kimberly0416 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Carrots for sweet
    Carrots with salt in place of chips