New to protein Powder! HELP!

Options
Okay so I have never used protein powder. Everyone tells me I should be. Can you guys tell me some pros and cons of protein powder? Is it all for the good? MY goals right now are to slim down I have about 50 pounds to lose and am afraid of the stuff cuz i dont want to get bigger yet but I must admit I know very little about the stuff.

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    bump 'cause I want to know what people think of soy, different whey, and hemp proteins.

I know there's a specific type of whey that is suppose to be better absorbed into the body then most other protein powders, but I cannot remember which one?

Also, plain with a scoop of coco, or do you guys get chocolate instead with the added sugars and stuff?

Also people might want to keep an eye on this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/573832-protein-powders
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Double-Chocolate/dp/B000QSNYGI

I love this stuff.... extreme milk chocolate... YUM
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    protein powder is just a protein supplement... if you get a good clean brand thats mainly protein and no filler carbs or fat its just like eating chicken or tuna
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I drink Jay Robb Whey PP with frozen strawberries & half banana right after my workout. I do about 30 min running & 20 min weights 4-5 x week & my goal is to lose weight. The PP keeps me fueled & satisfied until I have my meal. Its supposed to help with recovery & so far I think its doing that. Im seeing & feeling results. If your doing intense workout, I'd say have one soon after your done. Good luck!
  • pachamb
    pachamb Posts: 52
    Options
    protein powder is just a protein supplement... if you get a good clean brand thats mainly protein and no filler carbs or fat its just like eating chicken or tuna

Should i be replacing a meal with it? Or should I add it in on top of what I already eat? Will it boost my weight loss?
  • pachamb
    Options
    I drink Jay Robb Whey PP with frozen strawberries & half banana right after my workout. I do about 30 min running & 20 min weights 4-5 x week & my goal is to lose weight. The PP keeps me fueled & satisfied until I have my meal. Its supposed to help with recovery & so far I think its doing that. Im seeing & feeling results. If your doing intense workout, I'd say have one soon after your done. Good luck!

Thanks :) I do high intensity interval training every day I drank one today in place of my breakfast but before i cont. I wanted to get some facts.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

Should i be replacing a meal with it? Or should I add it in on top of what I already eat? Will it boost my weight loss?

It's just a protein supplement. Think of it as some lean chicken, in the form of a powder. If you want to increase your protein intake, that is one way to do it. If you want to only eat protein for a meal, then sure, use it as a meal replacement. If you want to get fats and carbs too, then don't - because it's just protein. Although you could mix things with the powder to get a more balanced macro composition if you prefer. It's not a magic substance, it doesn't boost weight loss or cause you to grow muscles or anything. It's just protein in a convenient and tasty form.

Personally I have one for breakfast every morning because I'm never hungry for a real meal and it's quick, easy and tasty. Plus it keeps my overall protein intake high (I try to get 225g a day).
  • fda1210
    fda1210 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hey I'm on a High Protein Diet through a doctor she uses Healthwise Brand Protein Products, it's working great for me I've lost about 33 pounds in the last couple months I feel like I'm building and retaining muscle better than ever before which seems to be changing the shape of my body for the good!

Extra Tip: lots of protein powders are really hard to mix I've tried a few different mini blenders and portable stuff and nothing works as well as the blender bottles that have the little spring ball in them. GOOD LUCK!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    you don't have to do things the way others do.
  • Burlesque12
    Burlesque12 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

Thanks :) I do high intensity interval training every day I drank one today in place of my breakfast but before i cont. I wanted to get some facts.

Be careful not to use the PP as a meal replacement if its not made for that. Its just a boost in protein. BTW...I use magic bullet to blend it into a smoothie & it works just fine.
    You'll find what works for you :)
  • osubrndn
    osubrndn Posts: 32
    Options
    if you're doing a workout designed to build muscle your body needs protein within 30 minutes of your workout. It helps repair your muscles and will alleviate soreness in the ensuing days.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

It's just a protein supplement. Think of it as some lean chicken, in the form of a powder. If you want to increase your protein intake, that is one way to do it. If you want to only eat protein for a meal, then sure, use it as a meal replacement. If you want to get fats and carbs too, then don't - because it's just protein. Although you could mix things with the powder to get a more balanced macro composition if you prefer. It's not a magic substance, it doesn't boost weight loss or cause you to grow muscles or anything. It's just protein in a convenient and tasty form.

Personally I have one for breakfast every morning because I'm never hungry for a real meal and it's quick, easy and tasty. Plus it keeps my overall protein intake high (I try to get 225g a day).

^^ what he said. you can use it to replace a meal if you want, but i prefer to have it with my meal if i decide to drink one because calories in liquid form dont fill me up at all.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    pros: it has protein

cons: it has protein and therefore calories, and should be treated as such.

really, asking if protein powder "works" is like asking if food "works." it depends on your goals. also, be mindful of what's in your protein powder. i use a whey isolate that's 25g of protein and 104 calories per scoop. you shouldn't be getting a substantial amount of fat and carbs from any protein powder.

by the way, the kind i use is here: http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/isofuel.html
    looks like it's out of stock though.
  • ijustmightbecrazy
    Options
    I use protein powder to help reach 221g a protein a day atm without making myself sick of chicken, fish, or eggs. As Docktorfokse states, protein powder has to be treated like any other food, it has calories based on grams of protein, fat, and carbs just like any other food, as well as whatever you mix it in unless you just mix it in water.

I mix mine in 12 oz of 2% milk, but that is planned and accounted for in my daily intake.
  • pachamb
    Options
    Thanks for all the help guys I now feel a bit more educated on the mater.
  • awal2069
    awal2069 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I use Intek Evolution Protein.... Chocolate.
    LOVE THIS STUFF

Do a little label research.
    Here is there link.

http://inteknutrition.com/PRODUCTS/PROTEIN EVOLUTION/protein.html
  • columbus27
    columbus27 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I use it as a recovery drink within 45 min of a workout. I don't use it as a meal replacement because it doesn't take away the hunger.
  • Lilyndash
    Options
    Do you use netcar or matrix
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I use it as a snack and I use Jillian Micheals brand its a whey protein powder and you can get it at walmart for around 10.00 and is only 100cal per scoup and not bad on carbs. the vanilla is ok but I really like the chocolate flavored

I normaly use it after a really hard workout and mix it with 1Tablespoon of Jiff natural peanut butter , ice and some almond breeze so yummy

its a smaller can then the other brands but I don`t need to use it everyday so one can lasts quite awhile