Damn Shin Splints....

Options
Hi All...looking for advise or tips...i've been told so many times to give it time and work my way up to running but it's not happening...i walk/jog 2-3 times a week and still get shin splints..i've been doing this for 9 months, and pushing myslef even it hurts. i've bought 3 different pair of shoes and it hasnt helped. so how should i got about this..

i just would love to be able to jog/run 1 mile without aching halway thru....

HELP :huh: .... thanx !!:happy:

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Look into Chi Running. It's a different form to running and a lot lower impact on the body. No shin splints since I finished reading the book and putting it into practice.
  • jabflaherty
    Options
    Shoes totally play a roll. Get fitted at a running store. They will scan your feet, watch you walk ect. I have flat feet and need arch support. Shin splints also come from over use or too much too soon. The pounding of running puts strain on the shins (actually three areas in the lower legs) and connective tissue. Some runners will tell you to push through them but this could lead to stress fractures which will halt your progress with terrible pain!! Make sure you rest in between days, don't increase your miles each week more than 10%. I find ice after the run helps to reduce the swelling of the tissue. Stretching is key. I have been told that it takes about three months to get beyond the time when shin splints are common, which is because that is how long it takes to increase the strength of the muscles and tissue to support the area and tolerate the impact of running. I am on week 9 day 2 of couch to 5k and have a 5k in a week. I battle shin splints, they suck but I can promise they do get better if you take the proper steps to mitigate them! Good luck! And no matter how slow you are going, you're lapping people on the couch!!
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I never got rid of it either. I hate it. I switched all my cardio sessions to insanity and never had a problem since.
  • Amyann44
    Amyann44 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I get them too. I bought 3 or 4 pairs of shoes until I found the right ones. I kept buying ones with the most cushion thinking that would help. Then saw Sketcher GoRuns on sale and bought a pair and haven't had shin splints since. I even ran 2 days in a row and I was never able to do that before! Running has become a whole new experience without the pain.
  • JenniLisette
    Options
    Thanx everyone for responding, greatly appreciate it. i'ma keep at it and get better shoes this weekend.