Need Cardio help/motivation

Options
Help? I used to be so much better at Cardio. I was in Jazzercise and LOVED it. Then I moved and now the closest class is about 40 miles away and completely unrealistic with my schedule. I go to Gold's and I have tried a few of their classes, but I am not feeling it. I will try again, but in th meantime, I am jogging/walking on the treadmill and I get SOOOO bored. I can't force myself to stay on for more than 15-20 minutes (and that's if I have a book or magazine!).

Does anyone have any advice? Any suggestions? I know I CAN do it, I just don't have the desire to push myself because nothing is holding my attention.

Replies

• annaliza
    Options
    What about walking/jogging outside? The change in scenery always keeps my attention (lol, until I zone out and just run - you runners know what I'm talking about lol).

I can't stand treadmill running....I'm the same way, I get so bored with it that I don't want to do it.

Maybe try to find something that you'll have fun doing like a sport (running, basketball, soccer, tennis, etc).
  • LostInOhio
    Options
    I listen to music, books on cd, watch tv or movies. I installed a tv and had it hooked up to basic cable in my basement and I bought some inexpensive speakers and mounted them above my treadmill. Those things make the time go much faster, especially since I work out early in the morning.
  • SharonEllis51
    SharonEllis51 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    If your gym has a ZUMBA class, take it! Lots of fun for an hour, especially if you love to dance. Even if you don't try it. It took me awhile to get my nerve up and I finally did it. I am going tomorrow. I try to go on Saturday and Tuesday. I really wish they had it more often. I was discouraged for awhile. I have been working out for a couple of months and my progress is really slow, but I AM NO GIVING UP! Keep trying and you will be happy. Good luck!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    I vary my routine on the treadmill and elliptical machine a lot changing the inclines up alot. It seems to keep me more interested in the routine. On the Treadmill, which I used to find very boring, I have it show me calories burned rather than counting down the time, and I will raise the incline every time I burn 5 calories, then when I reach the zone I want my heart rate to be in I will stay at each incline for 20 calories burned, and when I reach the 15% incline after doing that for 20 calories, I will knock it down to 1% again and a lower speed to catch my breath then start all over again. I can't tell you how motivating it has become for me. I'm very ADD, so walking and walking on a treadmill can be exruciatingly boring for me.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I agree, take it outside. Especially this time of year
  • bikinggirl14
    Options
    I agree with taking it outside. Its beautiful and let's you take advantage of the season. Also, if you've moved to a new place, it will let you discover the area, which I'm sure will interest you. Also, if you can arrange it, bring a friend or work colleague--the time you spend talking and enjoying sights, the more you enjoy your walk/run and tend to forget about the time.

268598.png
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I watch my morning local news. Get up, go potty, dogs out. Turn on the news and hop on the elliptical. Watch Abby & Whatsername do the locals and the weather and cook something with that D'bag local "chef", and my 30 mins is up 'fore I know it.

I'm a motorcycle guy, so I gotta get the weather anyways,,, it works for me.