staying motivated with workout dvds

Options
I love workout dvds. I love classes as well, but I don't have the money or the time. After a long hard day at work the last thing I want to do is exercise. My two questions are:

1. How do you stay motivated with workout dvds?
2. Do they really work? Has anyone seen a big difference in their weight/fitness with DVDs?

Replies

• ladybug1620
    ladybug1620 Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Can you get up before work and do them? I found I stayed way more motivated and didn't have an excuse if I did it first thing in the morning.

As for results, do a youtube of P90X results (or whichever you are looking into)...you'll see lots of success stories there.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    If I don't do it in the morning, I don't do it.

They work, but you have to do them consistently.
  • Patty_Petz
    Options
    I work out right after I get home from work - I change right into my work out clothes and do my work out - no excuses and I get a boost of energy for the rest of the evening.

In a past life, I had lost 80 lbs doing Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds, the only thing I did was increased my hand weights as I got adjusted to the routines.

Any exercise will work, but only if you do it. :wink:
  • msenior
    msenior Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi All:

I mostly do work out dvd at home, because i cannot fit in the gym with my lifestyle. Im a single mom so its just not realistic paying a gym membership when I dont have childcare.

So, I find that if i do my workouts first thing in the morning its no problem. If I leave it for the evening its the hardest thing to do. I love Jillian Michaels dvd, I am addicted to her workout and if it becomes boring I put on my favourite music. Try it. It works.
  • lnfunchess
    Options
    Yes they do work if you put the effort in. Try www.collagevideo.com. You can view a clip of the workout before buying. I suggest Jackie Warner or Jillian Michele for effective at home workouts. Variety is key with at home programs. Check your local library to rent them . I often rent Bob Harper or P90X from my library for free.
  • MJ7910
    MJ7910 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    honestly you just have to make it happen. try and pick a time of day that will work for you. for me the only time is evenings because i know in the morning i just want to sleep. keep it interesting, try different dvd's. maybe do a long term set of dvds like p90x, insanity, or any of the jillian michaels dvds. try and mix it up, keep it intresting and focus on what you're trying to get out of it. i like dvds because i don't like to waste time goign back and forth to the gym. so it works for me and i make it part of my day. you just need to get into a routine that works for you and make it important in your life.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 lbs (several years ago, and then gained it all back. blah. But ignore that part of the story) doing workout dvds. Of course, I was also counting calories, and I also did some running. But I did a lot of The Firm and similar style videos that incorporated light/medium weights with cardio. I had great results. Not only did I lose 30 lbs, but I actually had muscles. My thighs were tight and I had biceps for the first time in my life.

As far as staying motivated - you find the motivation to do workout dvds the same place you find motivation to go to the gym. If you want it enough, you do it. It's easier to keep going once you start. You just have to find a time of the day that works for you and make it part of your routine.
  • JulieDerda
    JulieDerda Posts: 163
    Options
    MY motivation to do the dvd's are--- do it so i dont have to get a gym membership and to get a great work out in w/out leaving my house. (and of course to get a great body ;)

some work out dvd's are only 20 mins long but really intense. (like jillian mich. 30day shred). i did it and got a great work out from it.

the truth is no one likes working out when they first start. I have grown to like to work out and i crave it. (some people may never "like" to work out.)
    My advice just try to to do it everyday then you will (maybe) start to really like it and want to do it instead of 'Having" to do it :)

also you may want to find some "fun" workout dvds im on turbo fire right now and i enjoy her a lot more compared to jillian micheals. :)

Good luck and you can do it Girly! :):drinker:
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    sabian711, with the right fitness and nutrition structure and strong support to maintain your motivation you most certainly can achieve your healthy lifestyle goals. About 2 months ago I finished a challenge group that helped me get my nutrition on track and stay motivated to complete a 90 day at home (dvd) fitness program. I lost 15 lbs and increased my cardio fitness level. I've now switched to a second challenge group to increase my muscle tone and shed the last bit of body fat. I've tried at home dvd programs in the past but always lacked the accountability to stay focused... but these challenge groups have been a game changer for me! Message me if you're interested in hearing more.

But to more pointedly answer your questions:
    1. Motivation: write out your reasons for making a lifestyle change. Also, write out your goals using positive statements (for example, "I will only have one piece of dessert each week" or "I will fit into a size 8 dress size"). Then post this somewhere you can see daily.
    2. Do dvd fitness programs work?: Absolutely! Just do your research because some programs are a gimmick and others are legit
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Well my biggest tip, is doing it first thing in the morning, don't have time, make time, it's too easy to make excuses after a looong hard day and your just tired and hungry, the last thing you wanna do is workout!
    Yes I saw HUGE results from dvd's and still am after 2yrs of doing them along with cardio each day too. Another motivator for me is cranking up the music.
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    i found some ladies on here that were due to start 30 day shred (jillian michaels) the next day... so i friended them and we do it together. one lady does it first thing in the morning... i wake up to see her workout logged and done!!! thats enough to keep me going !! its nice to see other people doing it aswell and seeing their results and moaning about what bits we dont like and what bits are ok...... x
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Do your workout dvd in the morning. Usually those workouts are only a half hour....people can do anything in that amount of time. It depends on how badly you want it.

Dvd's work. I have two friends who lost significant weight in both The Firm & JM 90d BR. systems.
  • wolfehound22
    Options
    I either do it before work or after my son goes to sleep. Best thing is when u get home get dressed and workout right away, if u allow yourseelf to sit down u probably wont do it.

and ive only done in home workouts, and have lost 77 lbs, works great.