Can't say NO to mexican food and margaritas

Options
Mexican food and Margaritas are my downfall........I do pretty good as far as staying on track during the week but happy hours and weekends at Gloria's restaurant are my downfall....ugh !!!

Replies

• slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Me too!
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    Options
    Me Three.

It's like crack
  • Niagarasailor
    Niagarasailor Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Tacos can be healthy if you don't add all the sour cream and cheese! Use lean beef and tons of veggies!
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    Options
    Tacos can be healthy if you don't add all the sour cream and cheese! Use lean beef and tons of veggies!

BORING

lol! Just messin. If I'm going to have a taco, I'm having 3 or 4 and they'll be loaded up!
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Skinny margaritia and a veggie taco with a side of black beans please for me! But i'm a sucker for the chips and salsa! Yummy!
  • kace406
    kace406 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    It's true that it's not all that hard to slim down and fit Mexican food into your daily calorie goals, but the second I walk in that restaurant, I'm all about the margarita, the enchiladas, and going to town on the chips and salsa. Bad news bears.
  • heatherlee007
    heatherlee007 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Lol I have a fight with myself about margarita every weekend!! Stay strong :)
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I love the ceviche salad there and I have them make my margaritas with lime juice, tequila, splash of triple sec sweetened with agave and that's it! Way lower in calories and it tastes better IMO.
  • torygirl79
    torygirl79 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much had to go tee total for the diet since one drink can easily lead to two, then to snacking, then comfort food for the hangover....
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Mexican food and Margaritas are my downfall........I do pretty good as far as staying on track during the week but happy hours and weekends at Gloria's restaurant are my downfall....ugh !!!

Agreed.

The day before, get a good workout in and don't use those calories. Keep track of how many you "saved over". Drink a little extra water.

Figure out how many calories are in what you want, figure out how much you can eat and how many 'ritas are in your budget, do a good workout to maximize your daily allowance of calories, drink LOTS of water to counter the sodium in which you are about to partake, order what you want, and eat it slowly so as to maximize the enjoyment of every delicious, delicious morsel. Savor it. Make obscene moaning noises. Whatever. Just have a good time with that meal and eat it like you've EARNED it.

Allow yourself to go over by about 2 workouts' worth of calories (one you saved from the day before, and another you're going to borrow from tomorrow).

Then, the next day, keep your water intake up, get another good workout in to burn the remaining calories you "borrowed" (and don't eat them), and go back to your normal routine.

You'll see a spike in weight for a day or two due to sodium intake. Water will flush that out.

There's NOTHING wrong with an unhealthy meal, as long as you make it part of a healthy LIFESTYLE!
  • Barribomb
    Barribomb Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    OMG! i'm not alone! was doing GREAT yesterday then came home to a taco invite, all the skinny margaritas in the world couldn't save my calorie goal...it's my weakness too!
  • tamnih20
    tamnih20 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've pretty much had to go tee total for the diet since one drink can easily lead to two, then to snacking, then comfort food for the hangover....

This is me!
  • Cocochickdeleted
    Cocochickdeleted Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    This was super hard for me, too. But, we love Mexican, so we go to our favorite place every Saturday night. I will eat a cheese and onion enchilada and hubby and I will share a basket of chips (and often leave some behind, since we are on this journey together). It's our one weekly splurge. I forgo the margarita, though, because alcohol does make me want to eat more. Plus, I realized today that margaritas may not have the same pull on me that they used to, because my sweet tooth has diminished considerably since I started eating healthy.
  • Seokie
    Seokie Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Try making your own order - they have healthy ingredients, just order off menu - grilled chicken with veggies (pepper, lettuce, onion, tomato, avocado) no tortilla, maybe black beans (no fat) and as for drinks - sip on some tequila, yeah there's still calories in it but WAY less than a margarita and you'll probably drink it slowly since its straight. Or I'm a fan of vodka club - only 90 cal/shot of vodka :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    because my sweet tooth has diminished considerably since I started eating healthy.

Isn't that a beautiful side effect of cutting back on the sugars? They're like crack, and detoxing off eating white sugar really stinks. But once you've backed off the quantities for a while and stop expecting everything to be sweet, sweet, sweet, you start really enjoying other flavors and the sugars can be overwhelming.

I'm starting to find heavily-frosted cakes and the like somewhat sickening now. I'd rather use those calories on a nice chunk of dark chocolate and some red wine. ;)
  • CrazyGraciegirl
    Options
    I do ok with ordering, but the chips are what get me. I could eat 3 baskets if you let me. D::ohwell:
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    The key to eating out is researching ahead, making your choice when you are NOT hungry, and sticking to your choice.

If you allow yourself a certain meal and a certain number of drinks, and you know what your limits are beforehand, you can stick to those limits more easily. Set your expectations BEFORE you start smelling all those smells when you're already hungry. Study the menu beforehand, pick something you know is in your budget and that you'll enjoy, and order it as soon as you can so the decision is out of the way.

Right after lunch is an excellent time to plan supper out. You aren't hungry, so you can make better choices. Then you just need to hold "later you" accountable for the choices "earlier you" made.

And sometimes you can't. Remember that this is a long journey, and there are 3,500 calories to a pound. You may suffer a slowdown or even a setback, at which point you just keep on keepin' on.

And don't ever allow the thought to finish that starts with "my diet for today is already blown, I might as well have..." Each calorie is its own entity, and no matter what order you eat them in, 3500 of them is a pound, up or down. Remember all the work you have to do to maintain a 500 or 1,000 calorie a day deficit to lose a pound or two a week. You may have to make the occasional strategic retreat, but don't make it an all-out surrender.
  • 177for2
    177for2 Posts: 2
    Options
    This was me last night.. Again. I blame genetics for jonesing so bad for all that mango marg and enchilada goodness! We can eat clean today so focus on that! (I am :) There won't be any leaning out with exercise, if there's no cleaning out with your diet.<- That's what I keep reminding myself. Hope it helps!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    Options
    I do ok with ordering, but the chips are what get me. I could eat 3 baskets if you let me. D::ohwell:

That's why they bring them. The chips make you thirsty (salt) and hungry (also salt) so you tend to drink more alcohol, which relaxes your decisionmaking ability and ALSO makes you more hungry, then you order the biggest (most expensive) thing on the menu and upgrade ($$$$) the heck out of everything. It's all about maximizing profit.

A few tips:

1. Drink a glass of water with your chips to start. The water will help counter the sodium, keep you from gulping down your 'rita, and help maintain your decisionmaking skills. It's also a calorie-free way to fill up. Drink enough, and it'll force a bathroom break which will get you away from the table for a few minutes, reducing snack opportunities. Make sure you keep alternating water into your drinking (one glass of water per 'rita MINIMUM!)

2. Keep the chips in the center of the table, and grab one at a time. You'll eat chips a lot faster if you have a handful.

3. Order your drinks and your meal at the same time. Your meal will come faster, reducing your snacking opportunity with the chips, and you'll be a better decisionmaker before the sodium and alcohol start working on you.
  • ppcrockett
    Options
    Thank you yall for all the comments and helpful solutions. I see that I'm not alone in Margaritaville :-)
    Have a wonderful day you guys