Right calorie intake?

Options
I just wanted to clarify whether I'm eating the right amount to be losing 1-2lbs per week, because I'm not really seeing any changes. My active metabolic rate is 2096 cals per day, including the fact that I burn 500 cals each day on average from exercise. I'm not sure if I'm right here, but does my NET calories have to be over 1096 each day in order to lose weight? I'd appreciate any help. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• aquabeauty1187
    Options
    In order to lose weight, you have to be burning more than you are taking in. Since, by what you said, you are burning 2,596 calories a day, you should be eating less than that, but no less than 1,500 calories, because it's not healthy to go any lower.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    1096 is way too low.

I am 36 years old, 64" tall, and aim for a net of 1,600 per day. To find my number I used http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/ I use the number they gave for sedentary and I eat back my exercise calories. On an average day I eat around 2,000 calories.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Your net should be no lower than 1200. I don't think you've calculated it correctly...
  • medaglia_06
    medaglia_06 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Without more info I can't really tell you the number, but you should be netting no less than 1,200 calories a day and even that is low. You should be netting at least your BMR.
  • smurfee11
    smurfee11 Posts: 33
    Options
    Check out the forum eat more to weigh less.. you will get alot of help there. :smile:
  • ANewLucia
    ANewLucia Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Please take a moment to go to the group "Eat More to Weigh Less" there is a great article on TDEE and the reasons why you shouldn't NET under your BMR.
  • mymotherisinsane
    mymotherisinsane Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! And ahh I thought so... I eat over 1200 cals every day but because of the amount I burn during exercise, I really struggle trying to get my net calorie intake over 1200 aswell. I'm always too full up for it. Thanks again!
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I suggest checking out Fat 2 Fit radio. They have a lot of good information on making sure you eat enough but still lose weight. Either way you just never want to net less than about 1200.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Please take a moment to go to the group "Eat More to Weigh Less" there is a great article on TDEE and the reasons why you shouldn't NET under your BMR.

Thank you! I just joined this group as I am moving away from under eating and more towards properly fueling my body!!!