Hey salads, what's the point of you?

Options
I just worked out at lunch, then ate a gigantic salad containing spinach, black beans, avocado, tuna fish, tomato, bell pepper, corn, and sunflower seeds. Lemon juice for dressing.

I felt satisfied for precisely 12 minutes, and then ravenous all over again. I then ate half of an english muffin with peanut butter. Still starving. So I ate string cheese. I'm still hungry as I sit here, chugging water.

All told my lunch was 631 calories...I could have had turkey and brie on a baguette for that!

What gives, salads?

Do you guys actually feel full after eating one? How do I make salads happen without wanting to punch someone out of hunger afterward?

Replies

• chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    after working out perhaps you can have a protein drink... or instead of the tuna add chicken to the salad full 4 oz of it...
  • shaycat
    shaycat Posts: 980
    Options
    Your salad sounded great. I would be full from that.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I have a piece of grilled chicken with my salad. Keeps me full for a while.
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    after working out perhaps you can have a protein drink... or instead of the tuna add chicken to the salad full 4 oz of it...

Is chicken more filling than tuna? Do tell.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Salads are used for feeding my tortoise. Salads are not Cheryl-food.

I hate them, AND I've never felt satisfied after eating one. I think they're holograms.
  • DisneySkaGirl
    Options
    I generally feel full from lunch salads, but I don't work out right before. I do end up starving after a hard core workout, so I always follow that up with a smoothie or protien shake.
  • goforkissy
    goforkissy Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Wow, i know the feeling. Would like to see if there are any answers to your question. I usually go for a spoon (or 2 or 3) of peanut butter after my salad. Does not work, so then I grab a coffee. That usually works to stop the hunger pangs for me.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I ask my salads the same thing!!! Yours does sound tasty though!
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I tend to eat salad at dinner time for this reason.. When I feel hungry after I eat I drink a full glass of water (8oz) and wait 15mins normally Im not hungry anymore however with that being said depending on how intense your workout was you may need to give yourself something more filling after ward or have a protein shake than wait about 30mins and than eat the salad.. Hang in there the longer you eat healhty the more your stomache will shrink down and you wont need as much to complete you :-)
  • AlysonBug
    AlysonBug Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, no matter what I am hungry shortly after having a salad. My husband bans salads in his lunch for work because he is hungry 30 minutes later, he works at a factory.
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Salads are probably a mental thing for you : you expect not to feel full, so you aren't.

I used to have the same thing happen when I didn't have a starch for dinner.

It's all about mind over matter.
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat salad by itself, or if I do, I load it up with nuts, bacon, chicken, cottage cheese, whatever.
    I guess eating them as your primary meal probably doesn't work. Why not go halvsies? Half sandwich, half salad?
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Maybe you ate it too fast. I would be full after that lunch.
  • ssuksdorf
    ssuksdorf Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I hate salads too--lots of work for very little reward. Glad I'm not the only one!
  • tlynnclemmons
    tlynnclemmons Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    There generally only 1 type of salad I love...... grilled chicken with iceberg lettuce, tomatos, maybe 1/2 of a hard boiled egg, very little low fat shredded cheese, a teaspoon of unsalted sunflower seeds, black beans & about 4 or 5 unsalted saltines if i've had a low carb kind of day. NO dressing at all and it's less than 300 calories for a HUGE salad. I don't want to eat anything for about 4 hours after I eat that.
  • oOoMicheleoOo
    oOoMicheleoOo Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Salads are used for feeding my tortoise. Salads are not Cheryl-food.

I hate them, AND I've never felt satisfied after eating one. I think they're holograms.

lol @ holograms :o)
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I like a small salad as a side dish, but it's not often I have it as my main course.
    Having said that, I am having a chicken taco salad for dinner tonight LOL
  • KilikiMom
    KilikiMom Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i love salads...they are refreshing in the summer when its too hot to want to eat anything else LOL....i dont tend to eat them after exercise though cause like you i still feel super hungry...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Salads don't stay with me long. I much prefer cooked food. I don't eat many salads.
  • CynthiasChoice
    CynthiasChoice Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    It might have something to do with what you ate in the morning or even yesterday or the day before. Not everyone is the same, of course, but if I eat something sweet or high carb in the morning, I feel hungry all day. I've learned to recognize these as "false hunger cues." For me, these can continue for days after an empty carb/high sugar meal. I didn't read all the posts - maybe someone else already mentioned that.