Random question

Options
Why are there so many "I've failed!!!" threads because the person had a candy bar or ice cream... or an extra roll?

Is it really THAT bad to go over your intake every once and a while? I mean that extra roll is not going to make you gain back the 10,000 lbs you've lost, so WHY SWEAT IT?!?!

In my opinion, if you try to switch completely over to healthy eating after eating crap for sooo long, You won't be successful if you don't let yourself have that treat that goes over your calories.

A lot of my friends know my birthday was a few weeks ago. (Birthday calories don't count) And I ate TWICE my daily allowance. Smart? no Probably not. Worth it? BEST.BIRTHDAY.EVER! And guess what? I didn't gain 80 lbs from it...

All I'm saying is stop sweating the small stuff, and allow yourself treats or you're going to be miserable, throw your hands up, and say "SCREW THIS! I am having a twinkie casserole for dinner!!" It'll be ok.

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    So...what was the question?
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

Why are people whinning and freaking out about nothing?
  • prism6
    prism6 Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It is just because people are focused and new people,like me, are so afraid of going back to their old lives,they have a tendancy to over react. It is fear
  • LuckyAng
    LuckyAng Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Because some are only on a diet. For some, it's not a lifestyle change like it is for us.
  • emgawne
    emgawne Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    i dont understand that. i allow myself a cheat every now and then and feel absolutely zero guilt about it. i havent suddenly gained 200 lbs overnight because i had a serving of oreos the other day. i would feel different if i ate the entire package though.
    everything in moderation and i dont feel guilty.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I rarely go over my calories. But I sure as hell don't deprive myself! I'll just work out extra if I know I wanna have a few beers, or whatever. I did go over on Sunday though, and I really don't care...I'd rather my weight loss be slow and permanent and be able to enjoy the things I like to eat/drink than be totally deprived and miserable, but lose weight quickly. I'd for SURE revert back to my old ways and put all the weight back on if I did that! How do I know? Because I've done it like 4 times and that's why I'm here!

Moderation y'all!
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I think people are just looking for a little reassurance. They want to hear that other people have had moments of weakness and it hasn't ruined their progress. Many people are very new at eating healthy and exercising and making good choices and may not understand it very well yet. My guess is that their purpose is not to annoy you, but to get feedback from people that have been in their situation and gotten through it. :flowerforyou:
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

Because most of us have failed in the past and are scared that this is just another fail.

That "one" candy bar used to mean two tomorrow, and three the next day, maybe an entire pizza because "I earned it" without earning a damn thing.

I see why they panic, but if they post, they need to listen to the sound advice coming from those who have succeeded in beating down that fear. It's the people that argue that they will never be able to change for XYZ reason that drive me up the wall. We all have had obstacles. And we learn to work around them. Listen and learn.

But that's my soapbox moment. :ohwell:
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing, if they are like me, it's because one doesn't necessarily end at one.
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options

Because most of us have failed in the past and are scared that this is just another fail.

That "one" candy bar used to mean two tomorrow, and three the next day, maybe an entire pizza because "I earned it" without earning a damn thing.

I see why they panic, but if they post, they need to listen to the sound advice coming from those who have succeeded in beating down that fear. It's the people that argue that they will never be able to change for XYZ reason that drive me up the wall. We all have had obstacles. And we learn to work around them. Listen and learn.

I've never thought of it as being a fear... But isn't it a tad ridiculous? Or am I being rude?
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    A lot of people seem to think that losing weight involves an overly restrictive diet. They don't seem to grasp the concept of eat what you want, within reason, and stay below calorie limits.

The other side is that they think they can lose 10 years worth of weight gain in 2 weeks.

On another note, do you have this recipe to said Twinkies casserole? Is it just a layer of Twinkies plain or do you pour hot fudge over the top and then add cool whip?
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you do and when you do it...Ive been doing this for 6 months and its become a lifestyle change for me...last night we went out and shared a bottle of wine, I had 2 glasses, but I had a salad with it and that was my dinner...6 months ago I would have had pizza and appetizers and a hell of a lot more food with the wine and most likely 4 glasses!!!! So my "cheating" has even become more moderate!

I think if you are 1 week into this lifestyle change its more dangerous to cheat, your not ready and you will most likely go overboard and binge too much...just my opinion :smile:
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options

This. I personally have a very hard time stopping after the first candy bar...it can often escalate into weeks of ****ty eating. Does the psychology of it make sense? No. Is it just how I am? Yes. So, a day of bad eating makes me feel like I'm heading in a bad direction, which is why I reach out for support afterward. I'm still learning how to have one piece of cake, feel great about it, and hop back on the horse the next day.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

I've never thought of it as being a fear... But isn't it a tad ridiculous? Or am I being rude?

I wouldn't say rude, just unsympathetic. I can understand your reaction, though it does get frustrating when you see posts on the same topics over and over and over...
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    Why are there so many "I've failed!!!" threads because the person had a candy bar or ice cream... or an extra roll?

Is it really THAT bad to go over your intake every once and a while? I mean that extra roll is not going to make you gain back the 10,000 lbs you've lost, so WHY SWEAT IT?!?!

In my opinion, if you try to switch completely over to healthy eating after eating crap for sooo long, You won't be successful if you don't let yourself have that treat that goes over your calories.

A lot of my friends know my birthday was a few weeks ago. (Birthday calories don't count) And I ate TWICE my daily allowance. Smart? no Probably not. Worth it? BEST.BIRTHDAY.EVER! And guess what? I didn't gain 80 lbs from it...

All I'm saying is stop sweating the small stuff, and allow yourself treats or you're going to be miserable, throw your hands up, and say "SCREW THIS! I am having a twinkie casserole for dinner!!" It'll be ok.

I had a delish birthday week, I was up a few pounds but they fell off plus two more in the weeks after, I'll take that lol
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    Options
    A lot of people seem to think that losing weight involves an overly restrictive diet. They don't seem to grasp the concept of eat what you want, within reason, and stay below calorie limits.

The other side is that they think they can lose 10 years worth of weight gain in 2 weeks.

On another note, do you have this recipe to said Twinkies casserole? Is it just a layer of Twinkies plain or do you pour hot fudge over the top and then add cool whip?
    \

Twinkies... in a row, creamcheese frosting to cover, add another layer of twinkies cover in cream cheese frosting and drizzle with chocolate :)
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I think its a fear for those who have done this time and time again and have failed over and over again and are in fear of failing again...weight loss and getting in shape is different for everyone. For some its "I just need to lose 20 pounds" for others it means a major change in their life...I don't think we should minimize anyone's feelings :smile: ...for me I always have a fear that I will get fat again and Im still 30 pounds away from my goals weight :love:
  • Buttercupmcgee
    Buttercupmcgee Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

The cure for that is feeling gratitude instead-- that your mentality is healthy and that moderation comes easily to you.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    [Twinkies... in a row, creamcheese frosting to cover, add another layer of twinkies cover in cream cheese frosting and drizzle with chocolate :)

This sounds glorious!!!
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

No two people approach one problem in the same manner. Having been considered well in the range of Obese, I'm scared as hell that I will end up back there. And I never want to be her again.

You, my lovely friend, have a different relationship with your weightloss. Some of us have tried so many times and have failed that we fear slipping up even a little.

It may end in time , and it may not.

I'm not afraid of food anymore, but I am afraid of getting comfortable and not continuing. And that splurg moment turns into a splurg day turns into a week....it's frightening to see that slippery slope.