Walking & Healthy Eating to lose weight.

Options
anyone here with main form of exercise - walking and eating healthy has helped them to lose weight? I despise some people here who say walking is "not an exercise!"

Replies

• BetterYet
    BetterYet Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh Yeah!!! Walking will take the pounds off. You have to be consistent and keep a quick pace. I was just talking to someone about the wonders of walking. It really works on chiseling the waistline!!!
    Try using some hand weights or a weight jacket - like 10 pounds for the jacket and walk and watch with wonder! A resistance band will help with toning.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of walking and love it!! It burns calories so of course it helps with maintaining and losing weight...as long as your diet is holding up it's part of the bargain too!

I do believe that there should be a strength training element to your work out plan though as well.

But walking is wonderful....any movement that keeps you active is a win!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Back in the late 90s (before I "discovered" running) I walked on my treadmill, cut out the snacks and in turn lowered my blood pressure and lost a fair bit of weight. Walking is very definitely exercise and I suspect that if everyone in North America did half an hour of brisk walking every day the share prices of pharmaceutical companies would plummet.
  • sheschemes
    Options
    That's what I'm doing right now! I supplement it with a medicine ball routine a few times a week and a weekly dance class. So far it has been going well, and I've been learning a lot about nutrition. Feel free to add me if you like.
  • soniams
    soniams Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    That is how I lost all of my weight. I walk almost every day, 2-4 miles. I changed my diet to healthy, unprocessed foods and reduced portion sizes. Developing this new permanent lifestyle has been very successful for me.
  • indiepops
    indiepops Posts: 96
    Options
    i busted my knee years ago and i have struggled with losing weight since as high impact exercise is a no-go for me. someone told me about leslie sansones walk the pounds off, i brought the whole package. it starts with 1 mile through to 5 with weights and resistance bands. its low impact on my knee and i think is a great starting block into exercise for people like me and for obese people to introduce them into exercise. i am building it up slowly as i dont want to damage my knee, i am on 3 mile this week, it doesnt make you sweat like aerobics or the treadmill but it burns calories and keeps your heart healthy if done every day. every little helps x
  • laurapeepee
    Options
    Last year I lost 10 pounds just through walking a lot more and eating better. I would definitely consider it exercise because not only can you walk for a long time it never gets boring or monotonous.
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I used to walk for 2 hours solid a day, at a fairly brisk pace, and it certainly kept my weight down. But I think you do have to do a fairly brisk pace, or walk a fairly long distance for it to be effective. I cycle now as I find it a better workout and not as time consuming in terms of calorie burn.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Yep, this is how I've lost all of my weight. I do an hour/ 3.3 miles (some weeks I'll go as high as 75 minutes/4 miles) on the treadmill 5X/week. This is at a speed of 3.3mph and I've got the incline cranked up to 11%. To the naysayers who think that walking doesn't work up a good sweat or get the heart rate up obviously hasn't cranked up the settings on their treadmill. ;)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    It's all about calories in and calories out. You can lose weight by not exercising at all if you still eat at a deficit. So yes you can lose weight with walking.

But as far as burning calories, I think there are more efficient ways of doing it lol.