Dairy free low-cal protein?

Options
jules1984
jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
I'm having a hard time increasing my protein. I cannot eat any dairy (not just lactose free).

Should I just be snacking on lean meats or what? I meet my carb goals each day and don't want to go too far over.

Am I doomed to nosh on hard-boiled eggs, canned tuna, and slices of turkey?

Any ideas? :happy:

Replies

• monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options
    protein supplement (soy) or lean meats
  • jules1984
    jules1984 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Aren't most protein supplements high calorie? Also aren't they usually loaded with carbs?
  • Beck511
    Beck511 Posts: 1
    Options
    Beans are a good source of protein. One of my absolute favorites is edamame (soy beans). They're relatively low-cal and are loaded with protein.
  • chris1816
    chris1816 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Aren't most protein supplements high calorie? Also aren't they usually loaded with carbs?

Not whey isolates usually, and those are lactose free. The whey I use is 130 calories, 27g protein and very little carbs.

If you want more nutrients and filling items; salmon, tuna, calfs liver and venison are very good in the meat and seafood department. All are about comparable if you have a 4oz portion or so with calories of a protein supplement, but with calfs liver for example; you get a ton of vitamins and other nutrients. Salmon and Tuna both give good amounts of Omega-3 fatty acids.

I'm huge on fish, so I go out for tuna and salmon sashimi when I feel like splurging.