Hey salads, what's the point of you?

Options

Replies

• Alanakrahenbil
    Alanakrahenbil Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I make my salads with spinach, onion, bell peppers, avocado, mushrooms and strawberries with 1tbs of red pepper dressing. Sometimes I add cucumber, cheddar cheese and nuts. I love it, I either have a big one for lunch or fill half my plate for dinner and have a chicken breast with potatoes/rice/other roasted veg etc..
  • Dahamac
    Dahamac Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    After aerobic exercise, like cycling, I have found that I actually need some carbs along with high protein and fiber to stop the ravenous hunger cravings.

I suspect that you were indeed craving protein after a hard lifting session as well as needed some good carbs to replace the glycogen.

Therefore, I save salads for non-excercise days when I want a lot of bulk (3 cups of premium Romaine salad is equal to 15 calories) and I add some low-fat cheese and lean meat for protein. Then I have a high-protein and high-carb desert like low-fat animal crackers with non-fat yogurt.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I definitely get full from eating a salad... BUT I don't stay full very long.

I try to include my veggies in other things, because salads just aren't all that appealing to me as a meal.
  • sortin
    sortin Posts: 78
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys...I'm new to the world of protein shakes, how does that work? Are we talking like, muscle milk, here, or fruit with a protein powder in it?

I did work out pretty hard, maybe it was wishful thinking that a big bowl of veggies would satisfy. I know that veggies (especially broccoli) and chicken can fill me up at dinner most nights. But not fish. Maybe it's a fish thing?

Hey fish, what's the point of YOU?
    Eh, I usually put 1 cup of milk, 2 cups of ice, 1 or 2 bananas (depending on how many ripe ones are left), with 1 scoop of protein powder in a blender. Makes what for me is a HUGE shake, probably because of all the ice, but I like it cold.

Today I put 2 cups of milk, 1 scoop of powder, and, since I'm out of bananas, experimented with adding peanut butter. After burning the first bit, I realized I should boil a little water (enough to dip the spoon into) then dunk the peanut butter (on the spoon) into the hot water, so it melts off into it, stir, then add to the blender with it running on low.
    Of course my peanut butter is not the 'healthy' all-natural organic handed down by God himself kind, it's the same fatty, preservative enriched kind I've always eaten. Still makes it taste different from just the powder, which really isn't bad at all with just water.

As for salads and fish, accept them for what they are and you won't be so disappointed.

Do you eat a whole plate of cookies, or just a couple? Salads aren't meant to be the ONLY thing you eat, either. If it is, you'll be hungry again later.
  • GenFo
    GenFo Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I add one once of crumbled walnuts, about a cup of mixed sprouts (lentil, garbanzo, etc.), lemon juice, sea salt, and a package of stevia. I find that if I have a good combo of fat, sweet, acid/sour, and salty in the mix I don't crave much afterwards.

I love a big salad with any fruit or veg makes it home that week (cucumbers, mushrooms, tomatoes, avocados, asparagus, snap peas, whatever).
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Salads are probably a mental thing for you : you expect not to feel full, so you aren't.

I used to have the same thing happen when I didn't have a starch for dinner.

It's all about mind over matter.

I so agree!!! I had to fight that if i didnt have a bread side with my dinner - it wasnt dinner and I would feel hungry. Same with salads, but usualy if they have meat in them I am fine. To the OP: I LOVE a huge saladand when I see so much in it- I feel like Im eating more than I am ( calorie wise) - the culprit here was probally your workout. Intense workout probally just left you starving- thoes days happen. listen to your body eat healthy and stay busy :)
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I also suggest a whey protein shake 30-40 g of protein post work out. Wait for 30 min then have a sensible meal of greens and light meat, ie: chicken breast,tuna, lean beef, etc
  • moskinnny
    moskinnny Posts: 118
    Options
    I also suggest a whey protein shake 30-40 g of protein post work out. Wait for 30 min then have a sensible meal of greens and light meat, ie: chicken breast,tuna, lean beef, etc

^^^^^ i agree:bigsmile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    my guess is that it's just because you ate it after working out...I could eat a horse after I workout. Maybe a salad for dinner would be better suited for your schedule :)
  • HealthyNFit4Life
    HealthyNFit4Life Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I usually don't feel full from salads either!! Plus, I don't really like them. I prefer a sandwich with whole wheat bread, and my dietician said that is perfectly healthy :)
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Salmon is very filling, I find. You might try that instead of tuna as it has the fat as well as protein.
    Alternatively, have a baked potato with the salad, or half a baked potato to bulk it out.
    I am not a big salad fan personally, but I would find one made with cottage cheese, tuna and some beans thrown in pretty filling. Beans and chickpeas are a great filler upper (if one doesn't get too bad of a gas issue with them)
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm not really into salads unless it has, like, a rib-eye or a pork chop on it.
  • karenakaboze
    Options
    It might have something to do with what you ate in the morning or even yesterday or the day before. Not everyone is the same, of course, but if I eat something sweet or high carb in the morning, I feel hungry all day. I've learned to recognize these as "false hunger cues." For me, these can continue for days after an empty carb/high sugar meal. I didn't read all the posts - maybe someone else already mentioned that.

This is what's been happening to me for two days. That is eye opening.. thanks! lol
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Salads work great for me. Not sure how much protein you had on it, if just a little or adequate. I eat salads all the time but I do tend to go the "taco" salad route and put shredded chicken along with lettuce, tomatoes, onions and a bit of cheese salsa and sour cream. I eat that for lunch or supper and am full for hours.

Maybe as one poster stated, have a protein shake right after the work out and then the salad will be sufficient.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    I just worked out at lunch, then ate a gigantic salad containing spinach, black beans, avocado, tuna fish, tomato, bell pepper, corn, and sunflower seeds. Lemon juice for dressing.

I felt satisfied for precisely 12 minutes, and then ravenous all over again. I then ate half of an english muffin with peanut butter. Still starving. So I ate string cheese. I'm still hungry as I sit here, chugging water.

All told my lunch was 631 calories...I could have had turkey and brie on a baguette for that!

What gives, salads?

Do you guys actually feel full after eating one? How do I make salads happen without wanting to punch someone out of hunger afterward?

Add more healthy fat (avocado, olive oil, etc)
    Fat, protein, and fiber help you feel full.
    Here's a tutorial for a salad that will keep you full all day:
    http://theprimaljunkfoodie.blogspot.com/2011/09/mastering-big-*kitten*-salad.html

P.S. I follow a reduced carb/high protein & fat lifestyle, so try not to be alarmed by the contents of the tutorial
  • michellelhartwig
    michellelhartwig Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Salads are used for feeding my tortoise. Salads are not Cheryl-food.

I hate them, AND I've never felt satisfied after eating one. I think they're holograms.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kmozymoz
    kmozymoz Posts: 187
    Options
    I don't bother with salad unless it has lots of chicken for the high protein, which keeps me more full. But after a hard workout, I would definitely go with something more substantial. Maybe chicken and brown rice instead, or something like that.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    are you on your p-word? I hear women get hungrier when they have visits from aunt flo...
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Salad sucks
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Salads are used for feeding my tortoise. Salads are not Cheryl-food.

I hate them, AND I've never felt satisfied after eating one. I think they're holograms.

:laugh: Love it