I can't stop hiking, what do I do

Options
I need some advice!!!! Help maybe. Summer is here, and with that comes the warm weather. I love to take the opportunities to hike on my days off. I currently have three days off a week, and do a hike or long walk on each of the those days. This weekend I hiked around 12 miles or more in the 3 days. Great burns....really they are... heres the problem though. I burn anywhere between 600-1500 calories depending on the hike/walk. Today's I burned 1713!!!! The problem I am running into is when I burn a lot of calories I can't eat back the calories... for instance it's almost 7pm and I will be going to bed in a couple hours and have a net of -53!!!! What do I do? I don't want to stop hiking. I thought about changing my goals and maybe move the type of activity up from sedentary. But the problem with that is, on my days at work I don't burn a lot of calories....

I did just get my blender back finally after years of it being packed away, so I am also looking for some shake ideas that might help with the calorie intake when I eat a lot...

Replies

• gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I would add trail mix and a big protein shake in the morning.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Keep hiking. Realistically, when the calorie burn gets higher than 300-500, it's very difficult to eat back every last calorie.

Eat your base line calories and then try to eat back as much of the exercise calories as you can. Don't worry about getting them all in calorie for calorie.
  • jrhodges20
    jrhodges20 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Makes me feel better. I will definitly look into adding a protien shake, I will have to find some recipies. I think if I ate a better breakfast thatou would help. I love living literally within a National park, I have so many things to do outdoors all year around, the hiking is my favorite
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Hiking is my new favorite exercise as well! I pack snacks to eat while hiking, sometimes finding really pretty spots to take a short break to eat the snacks. This can help you meet your calorie goal. I also love to find a spot to sit and enjoy nature toward the end of the hike...and enjoy a glass of wine. If you're burning over a thousand calories, the hundred calories from wine is nothing! Happy hiking to you!
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Eating organic peanut butter by the spoonful is an easy solution to regaining burned calories. It's nearly 100 cals per tablespoon. Personally I could down an entire jar in 15 mins.
  • LeilaFace
    LeilaFace Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I hike A LOT too :) Good advice yeah, I say pack snacks and eat a big healthy breakfast. On super long hikes I pack 2 PB& J sandwiches, an apple, an orange, baby carrots and a granola bar. I don't eat it all (sometimes my dog helps) Def. Have a glass of wine at the end of the evening that's always a nice reward.
  • Testosterone
    Testosterone Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    if youre eating your bodys weight in grams of protein, dont worry...youre just going to burn off fat.
  • nutritionwhiz
    Options
    From a hiking lover to another.

I would increase your activity level from sedentary to moderately active. From what I have seen working out 3-5 days a week should put you in this category. From what I've seen about sedentary that really is for people in wheelchairs or total couch potatoes that do not get any daily activity.

Also, pack plenty of GORP (Good ol raisins and peanuts), trail mixes, quality protein bars etc to take with you when you hike.

Happy hiking!
  • mewaybright
    mewaybright Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    So what are your net calories for the week... it may be that within a weeks time it all evens out if you are sedentary on the days that you work.
  • hiker282
    hiker282 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    Never stop hiking. Calorie dense, non fast foods are what you're looking for: Nuts are awesome; protein shakes are also great. You'll need carbs so brown rice and spaghetti. I wouldn't worry about eating all those calories back the same day, but do adjust your activity level so those calories are disbursed throughout the week.
  • becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    I need some advice!!!! Help maybe. Summer is here, and with that comes the warm weather. I love to take the opportunities to hike on my days off. I currently have three days off a week, and do a hike or long walk on each of the those days. This weekend I hiked around 12 miles or more in the 3 days. Great burns....really they are... heres the problem though. I burn anywhere between 600-1500 calories depending on the hike/walk. Today's I burned 1713!!!! The problem I am running into is when I burn a lot of calories I can't eat back the calories... for instance it's almost 7pm and I will be going to bed in a couple hours and have a net of -53!!!! What do I do? I don't want to stop hiking. I thought about changing my goals and maybe move the type of activity up from sedentary. But the problem with that is, on my days at work I don't burn a lot of calories....

I did just get my blender back finally after years of it being packed away, so I am also looking for some shake ideas that might help with the calorie intake when I eat a lot...

I counsel nutrition and help people set a daily caloric intake based on activity level. Please PM me your height, weight, age, total activity level based upon daily (work) activity and daily workouts (hours and ave cal burned). Also include any health issues (cholesterol, BP, thyroid, PCOS, diabetes, etc.). I can help you set the proper goals.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Never stop hiking. Calorie dense, non fast foods are what you're looking for: Nuts are awesome; protein shakes are also great. You'll need carbs so brown rice and spaghetti. I wouldn't worry about eating all those calories back the same day, but do adjust your activity level so those calories are disbursed throughout the week.
    Dang it, why does hiker have to be so darn SMART?
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Perish the thought of giving up hiking. As has been mentioned do not worry about tring to eat all the calories back; trail mixes high in nuts and peanut butter.
    You ever think that giving up hiking I willl banish you to New York or Rhode Island.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    I always take a snickers or two with me while kayaking or caving. Incredibly calorie dense and help a lot with the hunger issues.