Wedding bliss = gained weight

Options
Doesn't this seem to always happen? Get married. Be happy. Gain weight.

I married in September, and I guess with all the happiness came the weight gain. Go figure! I used to count calories before but got it to the point where I maintained my weight. I'm 5'2" and was 112 late last week. Previously I was 99lbs and proportionate. The weight seems to be in my stomach (of course) and some in my thighs. By starting to count the calories I've lost 2 lbs already. I havent started excercising because I can usually get the weight off by dieting and going about daily life. However, as my stomach is right now I look like I'm a decent bit along pregnancy wise. Does anyone have any suggestions with how to fix my stomach area? My schedules pretty heavy so I don't have a lot of time but I do have a Kinect I plan on putting to use for exercise. Also if anyone would like to add me feel free!

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your marriage, happiness and the weight you already lost!

I vaguely remember reading that the average newlywed gains 10 pounds in the first year of wedded bliss.

It's your choice, but remember that exercise is good for your health. It's not just for weight loss. And a healthier lifestyle can contribute to a longer time with your sweetie. (And if it helps, keep in mind that sex is exercise.)

(I don't "friend" people until I know them at least a bit.)

Best wished on your goals!
  • MLgarcia3
    MLgarcia3 Posts: 503
    Options
    Totally happened to me lol.. And then I got pregnant. Eating healthy will help with the stomach :-)
  • ngarrett75
    ngarrett75 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Omg I'm in the same boat! Got married May last year... Up 19 lbs since then! So disgusted with myself. Started Insanity and counting calories. I better get this darned newlywed weight off!
  • dragonsheart84
    Options
    You will want to get some exercise in just to keep muscle tone. I didn't really gain weight until my mother moved in with us after a year of being married. Yeah, I do not recommend it for anyone. The stress it put on my marriage and myself had me gain about 40 lbs.
  • WhitneyAnnabelle
    WhitneyAnnabelle Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I was 105 when I got married in October, then jumped up to 112, so I can relate (I'm 5'2 3/4''). I'm not sure if it was from happiness or the sudden lack of immediate stress, though ;) I'm down to 104 with watching what I eat, though I can't quite get back into the exercise groove. If you need some support, I'm here :)
  • tprice916
    tprice916 Posts: 22
    Options
    Well I do get exercise, just not necessarily a workout routine :) We have two dogs that we run around with and take on walks. sometimes I walk to work which is a mile +. I was just mainly stating outside of my normal lifestyle :)
  • tprice916
    Options
    122 when I got married 5 months ago, now 135, we have done nothing but eat since the honeymoon. why is that! lol

We haven't honeymooned yet. We're both super busy, but finally taking a "mini-moon" to the beach in a little over a month. We slacked off and started geting takeout with our busy schedules and eating "quick" meals. He's losing faster than I am, it's not fair! But he's not losing it the healthy way, he has a job that doesn't give him a lot of time to eat lunch. I usually pack him with more of what we make for dinner, that way he's intaking a decent bit of calories for dinner, and it keeps me from eating it!
  • tprice916
    Options
    Bumping. I could stil use a few more friends on this lovely journey! :)
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately we can't choose where the weight comes from - it'd be nice to pin point somewhere --- I am still working on my stomach!!!!! However, all we can do is exercise - high heart rate & intensity level & weight training.

I had no idea that so many people experienced weight gain after marriage! EEEEK! Thanks for the heads up! I am not engaged or getting married anytime soon (although have been in a long term 7 year relationship!) but it's good to know so I can try and watch that when that time FINALLY does come!!! :laugh: