Anyone tried Truvia?

Options
Ok...I LOVE Koolaid and sweet tea and am just not satisfied with my husband being able to drink them when I'm trying to lose a few pounds. I absolutely hate diet drinks and cannot stand the weird aftertaste that I get from my mom's sweet tea since she's started using Splenda. Has anyone tried Truvia or Stevia? I read some reviews and it seems like the people who like artificial sweeteners, dislike Truvia. I learned Truvia and Stevia come from the same plant, but that Stevia is not available in most grocery stores. I hate to buy a bunch of Truvia just to find out it has that weird aftertaste and have to throw it out. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest going to a coffee shop and grabbing a packet or two to see if you like it.

Some people dislike the aftertaste.

I personally never noticed an aftertaste. Stevia might be in your grocery store but it would be in the supplement section. The unrefined version supposedly has a strong licorice aftertaste.
  • HYBRIDXXX
    HYBRIDXXX Posts: 86
    Options
    O YES DEFINITELY. IT TASTE GR8! I HAVE SUM N MY PANTRY RITE NOW. I ALTERNATE BETWEEN THE 2 OF THEM
  • thekarens
    thekarens Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    IMO they are both nasty. That's just me. I tried hard to like them, but just couldn't. Splenda is my sweetner of choice, but I try to limit that. I use honey in my plain non-fat yogurt, but Spenda in my coffee.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I've used splenda - was o.k., but made the decision to cut out the sweetener completely. Not a big sacrifice because I don't like sweetened tea or coffee... my choice is cream but am limiting that as well. I agree you should try some from a coffee shop and see if it's your cup of tea.
  • weenus47
    weenus47 Posts: 1
    Options
    I use Truvia I find it very sweet so I actually use less. I think it tastes better than Splenda, no after taste at all!
  • sweetpotatofry
    sweetpotatofry Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I didn't find any aftertaste with Truvia but my current brand of Stevia (Pure Via) has a pretty strong one, enough that I try to avoid using it when possible... but I liked Truvia!
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I started out using Splenda years ago in my coffee. About a year ago I bought a box of Truvia to try and I love it. The several times I've used splenda in my coffee since I've noticed the aftertaste, which I don't notice at all from the Truvia. I don't know if my taste buds have just changed or what but I won't go back to Splenda now.
  • kyriggs77
    kyriggs77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Truvia looks like sugar and tastes closest to sugar to me! Stevia has to grow on you.
  • jaharrison763
    jaharrison763 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia in my coffee and love it. I don't notice an after taste at all. Much better than any other artificial sweetener.
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    i know this is an old thread, but wanted to respond anyways since it came up in my search for hating truvia....

Basically, I think it's disgusting, and am wondering if anyone else felt that way about it, but eventually learned to love it? I need to lower the calories of my morning iced espresso. I cut down my milk to 1/2 cup (was putting a cup in) and added two tsp of Truvia, but it is just gross. I'm gonna drink it because i can't function w/ out the coffee, but i'm not enjoying my morning cup of joe today.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    I like Truvia, but its not the best in all applications. Very sweet....for most things it works well. I don't know about COOKING with it, and if you taste it straight its aweful. I use it in tea, on Oatmeal, etc. In reality, I think honey is much better but harder to deal with.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    My sister hates stevia. I love it. I bought a box of packets and generally take several packets with me into restaraunts when I eat out. Ymmv.
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have. I use it in place of any sugar or sugar substitute. I highly recommend it.
  • LindsNW05
    LindsNW05 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you go to Wal-Mart they have a product called Stevia to Go, it's a liquid and you only need a little bit.
    It does not have an after taste and you can carry it with you, 160 servings and it only cost a little over 3 dollars. Since it's a liquid it works great for coffee and iced tea.
  • Jenn728
    Jenn728 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia in my coffee and also in my warm teas. I used to drink sweet iced tea but now I can't stand the sugar, so I drink it unsweetened.

Try sugarfree drink mixes instead of kool aid. We buy the Walmart brand, Great Value. I mix the grape with the strawberry banana orange (i think) and it is delicious!
  • JuliaLee67
    JuliaLee67 Posts: 149
    Options
    I've never tried Truvia, but Stevia to me tastes like Sweet-N-Low, really artificial and with a bitter aftertaste. =/
  • briteyes
    briteyes Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    today i just decided to just have 1 tbs of sugar water. so much better! sure it's not zero calories, but i think i can afford 20 calories so my coffee doesn't taste nasty. it's more bitter than i prefer, but still tastes good :) don't think i'd ever get used to stevia's taste.
  • chubbard9
    chubbard9 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Tried Truvia, but not Stevia.
    I thought Truvia was better than Splenda, but I'm not a fan of artificial sweeteners in my drinks... Just drink them plain (coffee w/o cream or sugar, it was hard to give up!) and I've always had tea/iced tea without sugar so it wasn't too bad... Mainly stick to water now, though! Best drink you can get!
  • michellepierce123
    michellepierce123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    i have tried them all and recently switched to stevia because it is actually derived from a plant and not chemicals. I like the take of splenda better but I also hear it can cause memory problems.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Stevia tends to have an aftertaste to me, but not Truvia. I actually don't have a problem with Truvia, in comparison to other natural sweetener alternatives.