Weight Loss Frustration!

Options
Bumdrahp
Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
Hello,

I'm new here.. ( well made an acct long ago, but recently back) . I have been very mindful of what I am eating and working out more regularly, and have only lost 5 lbs. My boyfriend who I am doing this weight loss journey with, is dropping weight so much faster and I am so jealous, i barely have room to be happy for him! I'm not sure what it is I am doing wrong, but it's bumming me out. nd result, got on the bike twice as much! My body needs help, fast! :explode: :smile:

Replies

• Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!

Sorry you're having a frustrating time. Are you eating enough? I know it sounds contradictory, but if you don't eat enough, you can put your body into starvation mode where your metabolism slows down.

The more you have to lose, usually the faster it goes. Muscle also burns calories faster -- so good for you getting the bike exercise! Men, who are often bigger and have more muscle, can often lose weight faster. (If you measure as a percentage of your weight, sometimes that helps.)

You lost 5 pounds or more than 1/month, that's a good start. Good luck!
  • N_Bridgeman
    N_Bridgeman Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is trying to gain weight!! Its so difficulty to watch him eat 3x the calories and complain that he's full, while Im just trying to find anything low calorie to make me feel full! Just try not to compare. Men suck ;)

I find that I loose in little bursts. Sometimes a bunch, sometimes slower. If you are building muscles it will take a bit of time to see the loss, but if you take measurements you'll notice the changes.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Thank you so much! I NEED words of encouragement. I have been ( i think ) eating enough. Every morning I make myself a spinach smoothie. It has a handful of spinach, juice of 1/4 lemon, a little bit of pineapple juice, half a green apple, half a kiwi, 1/4 tbsp of fresh grated ginger ,and two slices of avocado. There is more than enough for breakfast in that. Then later ill do special k with a banana, lunch is usually Brussels sprouts and tilapia, maybe a special k bar or mandarin in between, then dinner is chicken and veggies or a salad, or another bowl of cereal. SO.. I believe there is lots of food there!! Lol. I feel SO much more energized, but I don't see a lot o results scale wise. Maybe I need more patience...at least my pants aren't crying anymore!
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    You aren't Kidding nicrobitaille!!! I see my boyfriend eat things ( and amounts ) he shouldn't be eating right now and STILL he loses weight! Men DO suck!!
  • krissym822
    Options
    I am there with you. My boyfriend is now trying to lose weight with me (and as he does all the cooking it helps that he is cooking healthier) but it does not matter how much he eats he is still dropping weight and I have stopped losing weight. Now i Have to cut my calories down again or workout more and he was already allowed more than me! It is just not fair.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I SO share that frustration with you!! I wanted to be happy for him when he showed me he tightened his belt buckle..AGAIN. but I was soo upset that he tightened it twice in one week I was almost in tears!! I feel like I am working hard mentally and physically but the results aren't paying off.. YET.. hopefully they will for us both sooner rather than later!!
  • DDD86
    DDD86 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Don't be too discouraged. Men have a greater muscle mass and burn calories faster. You can't compare your weight loss to his. Keep focused and try mixing up your workout routine to keep your muscles "confused". Strength and weight training is good for weight loss because muscle burns more calories than fat. Good Luck!
  • smgerkin
    smgerkin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My husband can quit drinking beer and drop 20 lbs, stop eating potatoes with every meal and drop 20 more. Some people (mostly men) can do the simplist things and lose weight quickly. Me, I could go on a 2 month fast and lose 2 lbs. Some good advice given to me is eat your calories, but make sure they are healthy calories (yours seem to be really healthy) watch your sodium intake, and drink water water water. The 8 glasses a day is recommended just to maintain your hydration level, if you really want to flush out those toxins and lose weight, 100+ ounces is recommended. At first you will believe you are drowning, but eventually, you will find yourself wanting at least teh 100 oz. To get in those extra glasses of water, drink 2 or 3 first thing in the morning before you do anything else, it really helps the water trend throughout the day. Never judge your accomplishments by other's weight loss. Keep up the good work and good luck!