I want to be a runner but am far from one

Options
aw8899
aw8899 Posts: 13 Member
I want to run or at least be a good jogger. I have dreams where I am just running free without a care in the world. The thing is I am too heavy for long periods of time and I am afraid to run or jog in public for fear of being judged and made fun of. I do a lot of walking walk every other day from school and around the city with my boyfriend. I average about an hour to two hours of brisk walking every other day. Walking is fine but it has gotten boring and I want to up my cardio and calories burned. Any suggestions?

Replies

• theNurseNancy
    Options
    Put in some head phones and do some trail/outdoors jogging. Focusing on whats ahead of you and the music will keep you from focusing on anyone else :]
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Check out this fantastic website that helped me start running. I absolutely love it. You really start out slow and it works! Good luck!
  • seasonalvoodoo
    seasonalvoodoo Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    Try Couch 2 5k, there is an app for it. I did it when I weighed 258 lbs and finished it. I just ran my first half marathon in March and I am still overweight (now 193 lbs). I am also a very slow runner, but a runner just the same!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who started this journey at 375lbs. Anyone can jog.
    I used the Couch to 5K (C25K) program to start and just recently finished my first half marathon.
    Who cares what other people think.
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    C25K is another good running program that is popular. Got me going!
  • realredhead79
    realredhead79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k programs to start.

coolrunning.com gives you the program

runningintoshape.com is a great website for you to download each weeks playlist with the maker of this telling you when to run and when to walk and gives you encouragement along the way.
  • Skeena4
    Skeena4 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel! I used to think the exact same whay, but seriously - what do YOU think when you see someone who has a long way to go (ie. a bigger person) running in public? I know for me I think "Wow, that's awesome, look how hard they're trying, good for them, way to go, etc etc!"
    And really, they're MY hero's because they don't care!

If you still look pretty at the end of a workout, you're not doing it right.

Let's go!
  • katheharwood
    katheharwood Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    To start, congrats on wanting to step it up and continue your healthy lifestyle. It's absolutely normal to feel insecure about running in public. I've been there myself. There is a great program called "Couch to 5k". http://www.c25k.com . It's a 9 week program (can be done on a treadmill too) and it has helped a few of my friends, including me. Check it out and good luck! :)
  • dperich1968
    dperich1968 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Check out C25K on active.com. Love love loved it and it turned me into a runner. I am now doing the bridge to 10k. Did a Mud Run this past weekend and my first 5K will be Saturday 5/28. For me it has become addicting and I get that feel so free feeling every morning while I am running before anyone is awake.

Good Luck and Never give up!!
  • GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the "Couch 2 5K" program, and it helps tremendously to start slow.
    It's a 9 week program.

Week 1 is Walk Briskly 5 minutes, then run for 60 seconds, then walk for 90 seconds, then run for 60 seconds, and so on.
    Each week you increase the running intervals.

I'm on Week 2 now. So far, so good.

And trust me...I understand what you mean about being heavy and running in public. I just finally decided, who cares?

All I care about is that....in 9 weeks, I'll be able to run for a full 30 minutes at a time, and that will be an accomplishment :-)
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm a regular runner, and I wish I would see more people out there running, even if they're bigger. Once you find that feeling that running gives you, where you feel like you could go forever (admittedly, this isn't always a super-fast pace), you never want to stop running ever again. That's an amazing thing I wish everyone could have.

Don't be afraid to start doing something because you're worried about what others think. For every person who might think that you shouldn't be out there, there are 10 thinking "Damn, good for her." I guarantee you. :)
  • kgalea
    kgalea Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started on the elliptical to build up my cardio (I found it easier to go longer distances/times), then started adding shorter runs before completely switching over to running. I still do the elliptical when I don't feel like running, but I found that it really helped get me prepared.

Just make sure you push yourself on the elliptical - try to keep a relatively steady pace (strides/min).

Another thing that helped me was to have an inspirational "mantra". I signed up with Team in Training to run the Detroit Marathon in 2004 (1 year after starting to run) and the Detroit Marathon "saying" was "You CAN do this" - I would repeat that saying whenever I would feel like quitting/giving up.
  • CrumCake81
    Options
    Try the Couch to 5K program. It's great!
  • KourtneyP83
    KourtneyP83 Posts: 319
    Options
    Agree with the others - I am using the couch 2 5k app from Run Double. You only have to jog in the beginning for 60 seconds...I have repeated that week more than once. I was super nervous about people in my neighborhood judging me in the beginning but I finally just got over it...big girls gotta exercise too! :)
  • tyildirim
    Options
    C25K! It's the Couch to 5K program. I'm doing something very similar right now and I'm in love with it. It starts you off slow, small amounts of running and jogging, speeding up and getting longer as you go. And the beauty of it is, you can always customize it to suit you. Also, a book I've been reading says to vizualize, picture yourself running, imagine it. And also choose a route first, maybe walk the route a time or 2 until you feel comfortable with it and then head out for your run! I've been doing it about 4 weeks now and I can easily jog for 20 minutes per stretch. Good luck!

http://www.c25k.com/
  • mhardest
    mhardest Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I used to be far from a runner, too. I threw on some headphones and a watch one day and went with the flow. I always tried my hardest to just go as long as I could. I started by walking 5 minutes, running 5 minutes, walking 5, etc. I did this for 30 minutes total. At the end of every 5 minute running period I felt like I was going to die and it took some serious convincing that I could do this! LOL! I just ran my first 5k last month and am working toward a 5 mile race at the end of May. It is possible, believe it or not!!! I could have written your same post last year. Also.... who cares what others think of you. I don't care how silly one's stride is or how slow they are going. When I see any runner I always think to myself "Good for you!" Good luck to you as you "become a runner!"
  • MontagneGitane
    MontagneGitane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Yet another rave for c25k here. This coming from a girl who never ran voluntarily before in her life because she thought she "hated" it. Now I'm practically addicted. I'm only on Week 3, so just running 3 minute intervals, but when I started, I could barely get through the 60 second ones. If I can do it, anyone can. :)
  • omotomi
    omotomi Posts: 11
    Options
    try using interval on the treamill,that way u can run and jogg,it kind of trains u 2 start running gradually,hope this helped,u can always start with an incline of 8.0
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    Just get started! :D Let people think what they will for now.... they'll be doing a double take in six months. :)

I'd strongly recommend running in minimalist shoes. If you're worried about your weight, you need to be super careful with your form. Most running injuries are caused from absolute overexertion, bad form, or a combination of both. Minimalist shoes allow your feet to give you more feedback which generally helps you to instinctively find proper style and gait.

Form cliffnotes as a fairly new runner:
    - Land on your fore or midfoot!! Can't stress this enough. Heel-striking is bad, bad, bad. It's bad for your joints, is inefficient so you expend more energy, and is statistically proven to increase injury risk.
    - Keep your arms loose, don't pump them to your chest. You basically want to keep them in front of you but very loose so you're not building up tension in your shoulders with each landing. I'm still working on finding a good balance for this one.
    - Land with your knees slightly bent (more just 'loose', again), and your foot almost directly underneath of you. If you land too far forward of your center of gravity you put unnecessary stress on your knees and ankles.
    - Fast cadence is good. 180 strikes per minute or so enables (if barefoot or in proper minimalist footwear) your arches, tendons, and calves to more or less act as springs... this saves you from some muscle fatigue and helps reduce impact.
  • SHERRIE134
    SHERRIE134 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have the same vision as you. Always could picture myself running or jogging. I recently started jogging on my treadmill to music, becuase I have the same fear of running in public. One day, I will venture out. I will not give up on this dream , so you don't either. Just start and let the music take you away....