Extra skin after weight loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• ijustmightbecrazy
    Options
    Age, skin elasticity, and the rate at which you slough off dead skin cells to make way for new ones also play a role in this, but the biggest factor as already mentioned is going to be time. You can help the process along though by exfoliating thoroughly in the shower, and moisturizing with Palmers or other similar lotions that contain cocoa butter and vitamin E. This will especially help with the visibility of stretch marks to fade faster. It's going to take 1-2 years at a minimum for you to really see the skin tighten up, especially in areas that aren't easy to replace lost fat with muscle such as the stomach, as well as the fact that due to differences in density, 1lb of muscle takes up far less space than 1 lb of fat.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    Weight training effects MUSCLES, not skin. Unless you are mistaking flabby muscles for loose skin, or you plan on building enough muscle to fill in all of your extra skin (basically getting back to as big as you were when you were fat), weight training isn't going to do much good for your loose skin.

How well your skin shrinks back is effected by biological factors (e.g. age, genetics, how big you were), which are pretty much out of your control at this point. Just keep your fingers crossed and remind yourself its better than being obese.

^^^^^ this

I'll know soon enough if my genetics are worthy. I can say that my mother is tiny at 115 at 5'4" and really great muscle tone. No matter what she still has a flabby tummy from when she had me... 22 years ago. She was never obese but her genetics really were lackluster in the skin department.

If I were to add anything I would say that the quality of your skin starts from the inside. Consuming good fats, staying hydrated, and truly balancing your diet can do a lot. Of course, this is obvious information. :flowerforyou:

The first time I lost a substantial amount of weight, I was 24. I had a grandma body when I was done losing weight, and ended up having a tummy tuck which took care of the pooch, but I still had loose skin on my thighs, arms, and breasts. It did not firm up with exercise or the passage of time. So, I agree that genetics trumps all. I'm hoping you are one of the lucky ones, OP.
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Yeh, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have a lot of loose skin in my stomach..

I guess that's a price I'll have to pay for years of fat. 44 lbs down.. my arms and legs are looking great.. my stomach- gross.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yeh, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna have a lot of loose skin in my stomach..

I guess that's a price I'll have to pay for years of fat. 44 lbs down.. my arms and legs are looking great.. my stomach- gross.

I'm pretty much disgusting all over (and have a hobby that requires me to be nearly naked, bonus!) but I'd still rather have all my gross (sometimes physically painful) extra skin than be morbidly obese again.
  • snowstorme
    snowstorme Posts: 125 Member
    Options

I'm pretty much disgusting all over (and have a hobby that requires me to be nearly naked, bonus!) but I'd still rather have all my gross (sometimes physically painful) extra skin than be morbidly obese again.

THIS! If I have to live with loose skin the rest of my life so be it, because it's going to be a lot healthier life now.
  • 26Nirak
    26Nirak Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am amazed and motivated by all that weight loss out there - kudos to all of you!!!

I try to be proactive and dry-brush my skin and I do take cold showers and am generous with oils and lotions....in hopes that when I do lose my extra 50 pounds (I know I can, I know I can...), my skin will adjust...however, I know no matter what, I will never look as great in a bikini anymore as I did in my 20's.

So what?

So what if I have flabby underarms and go sleeve-less because I like it?? Nobody has to look at them.

I think it's that accepting ourselves and loving ourselves despite our self-perceived flaws that also needs work...I think losing over 100 pounds is amazing, and something to be proud off....so I think you all earned the right to flaunt some flabbies!! :)