I want to be a runner but am far from one

Options

Replies

• hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    couch to 5k is a wonderful program...

I dream of being a runner too. Literally lol. I have dreams every once in a while where I'm just running and running and running... then I wake up and realize I don't have enough endurance for that in real life hah. I'm in week 4 of the C25K and I love it!
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Have you tried to couch to 5K program? I started this January at 19 minutes run-walk pace, and thanks to it as well as plenty of practice, can now run two miles in 14 minutes.

My biggest tip: Just do it. Nike seems to know what they're talking about.
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    Options
    I felt the same way!! I started Couch to 5K a while back, got hurt, and restarted a few weeks ago. It's a fun program. Tells you when to jog and walk and you can listen to your own music. I'm almost able to run nonstop now and it's a great feeling!
  • NotParis
    NotParis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am 250 and my hubby is 280 and we ran 3 miles today, You are not too big to run!!
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

Check out this fantastic website that helped me start running. I absolutely love it. You really start out slow and it works! Good luck!

this^^
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm 52, and NEVER ran till last November - like many of the others posting here, I started with the C25K. If you really want to start running, this is a great way to do it! It's funny, I've also had the same feelings about running "in public" (still do, in-fact) as you. I feel inside, that I'm not really a runner, & that I must look goofy as hell trying to run... but then again, I've been by several people - people that should know (like PE instructors) lately, that yes, I AM a runner... so who am I to argue???
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Just get started! :D Let people think what they will for now.... they'll be doing a double take in six months. :)

I'd strongly recommend running in minimalist shoes. If you're worried about your weight, you need to be super careful with your form. Most running injuries are caused from absolute overexertion, bad form, or a combination of both. Minimalist shoes allow your feet to give you more feedback which generally helps you to instinctively find proper style and gait.

Form cliffnotes as a fairly new runner:
    - Land on your fore or midfoot!! Can't stress this enough. Heel-striking is bad, bad, bad. It's bad for your joints, is inefficient so you expend more energy, and is statistically proven to increase injury risk.
    - Keep your arms loose, don't pump them to your chest. You basically want to keep them in front of you but very loose so you're not building up tension in your shoulders with each landing. I'm still working on finding a good balance for this one.
    - Land with your knees slightly bent (more just 'loose', again), and your foot almost directly underneath of you. If you land too far forward of your center of gravity you put unnecessary stress on your knees and ankles.
    - Fast cadence is good. 180 strikes per minute or so enables (if barefoot or in proper minimalist footwear) your arches, tendons, and calves to more or less act as springs... this saves you from some muscle fatigue and helps reduce impact.
    don't forget about breathing!! in thru the nose out thru the mouth!!!
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    My sis is doing c25k and it is really working wonders, she is 5ft 7 and approx 200lbs. She was just like you at first , scared to run in public and 3 wks later she is close to running a mile non-stop and doesn't care anymore what others think, you can do this......make it a goal!
  • DocGu
    DocGu Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Anybody who judges you for running is just jealous. I can guarantee you that 95% of the runners out there will be very supportive and encouraging (and the other 5% isn't worth talking about).

Running takes a lot of hard work and patience and persistence. It will get better but it won't get better overnight. But as you progress you gain little victories all the time. Revel in the small victories.

And when you get to the point when you can run free with not a care in the world you can look back at all the hard work you have put into it and be proud. It is a wonderful wonderful feeling and I wish everybody could understand what it is like.
  • alarae
    alarae Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I just turned 41 and never ran until last spring. I was about 60 lbs over weight. I start a minute at a time. Then I started the C25K. Its the best thing I've ever done. I am competing in my fourth 5k this weekend and although I am far from fast, I really enjoy it. Pick a 5K you want to do, start C25K and get started. There are ALL ages and body types at these races and soon you'll feel like a pro. Best of luck!.
  • trail_turtle
    trail_turtle Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Print this out, and put it somewhere where you can see it (and read it aloud!) every day:

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." ~ John Bingham

The C25K is a great way to start. Repeat weeks on the program if you have to. Take your time, listen to your body and you'll make it.

Google "Proper running form" and/or "good form running" and watch videos of good running form technique; incorporating good running form will save your knees and feet!

Good luck!!
  • duetwithjosh
    Options
    Just get started! :D Let people think what they will for now.... they'll be doing a double take in six months. :)

I'd strongly recommend running in minimalist shoes. If you're worried about your weight, you need to be super careful with your form. Most running injuries are caused from absolute overexertion, bad form, or a combination of both. Minimalist shoes allow your feet to give you more feedback which generally helps you to instinctively find proper style and gait.

Form cliffnotes as a fairly new runner:
    - Land on your fore or midfoot!! Can't stress this enough. Heel-striking is bad, bad, bad. It's bad for your joints, is inefficient so you expend more energy, and is statistically proven to increase injury risk.
    - Keep your arms loose, don't pump them to your chest. You basically want to keep them in front of you but very loose so you're not building up tension in your shoulders with each landing. I'm still working on finding a good balance for this one.
    - Land with your knees slightly bent (more just 'loose', again), and your foot almost directly underneath of you. If you land too far forward of your center of gravity you put unnecessary stress on your knees and ankles.
    - Fast cadence is good. 180 strikes per minute or so enables (if barefoot or in proper minimalist footwear) your arches, tendons, and calves to more or less act as springs... this saves you from some muscle fatigue and helps reduce impact.
    don't forget about breathing!! in thru the nose out thru the mouth!!!

Ooh yeah, that's huge! Thanks for pointing that out. Breathing is super important... if you huff and puff through your mouth (instead of in through nose, out through mouth), your mouth will become more dried out, your heart-rate will probably be a little less constant, and you're more prone to 'stiches' in your side. (at least I was!)

I find keeping your jaw in kind of in a "limp fish" state to help. Use your tongue to block your mouth when you inhale. Take BIG, steady inhales. If you need to, constricting your lips a little (still with a limp jaw) can help slow your exhale and pace your breathing some.
  • aw8899
    aw8899 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks everyone for the advice. There seems to be so many raves about C25K. It sounds like a good plan so I will give it a go!
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm a regular runner, and I wish I would see more people out there running, even if they're bigger. Once you find that feeling that running gives you, where you feel like you could go forever (admittedly, this isn't always a super-fast pace), you never want to stop running ever again. That's an amazing thing I wish everyone could have.

Don't be afraid to start doing something because you're worried about what others think. For every person who might think that you shouldn't be out there, there are 10 thinking "Damn, good for her." I guarantee you. :)

Love this! Agree!!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Zombie run for Ipod/Iphone it's way funny.. and your so into the story line you don't even realize other's around you because you don't want to the Zombie's to eat you so you just run!! LOL .. Start doing intervals.. trust me no one is judging you and if they are .. who cares?
  • mewddsltd
    Options
    One more to saying I have C25K on my DroidX2...I have all of the options so it has a training program to get you to a half marathon...I just put my headphones on, start the app, select the training program..select the playlist, and follow directions..very easy to get from the "Couch T(w)o a 5K" race...Happy Running...let us know when you make that half marathon...Mike
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel! I usually run in the early morning (before too many are up and about) or in the evening (when people are at home chillaxin).

I recommend finding a park with a trail or a path somewhere else =) hope this helps!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    start little by little. find an area you're comfortable with, and if none are available make it comfortable by getting into your zone. there comes a point that no matter what weight you're at, you'll learn to stop focusing on what others think during your workouts and focus on how you're bettering yourself, YEP that means making a fool of yourself. I've done so plenty of times, OWN IT, lol. you will be happy you did. jog for a bit, see how far you can go, then slowly but surely, you'll gain more and more endurance and you will become the runner you want to be. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GOOD SHOES :)
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I was once 222lbs. I remember attempting to jog down the road and someone yelling out their car window "keep running fatty!" I was so angry, but I kept running. I'm now 72lbs lighter and can run 20 miles. I started by running one block at a time. It was a lot of work, but I never gave up. Running is mental and you have to believe you can do it. Running 3, 5, 10 miles doesn't happen overnight but it can happen. You can make your dream come true.
  • FloraSin
    FloraSin Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Glad you're thinking of C25K. It really is great (I'm doing it - starting week 3 soon) and really feel like I've gotten a lot better. I was a smoker so running again was scary and I didn't want anyone to see me. I still don't like to run when others can see me, but generally everyone has been really supportive. Only my Mom has frowned on it.

Seriously, as insecure as I was/am - If I can do it, so can you.

And it's now my favourite hobby. It's awesome and whether or not I ever reach my target weight, I feel a thousand times better about my body just because I know it's stronger even if you can't see it.