How to log bacon hock?

Options
I am trying to input a recipe for bacon hock soup.
The bacon hock in whole was 1.126 kg, I have boiled it in water, and stripped the meat off, which is only 169 grams.
How would you input the bacon hock and the water it boiled in for accurate calories?
Thanks

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Bumping as I really need an answer, and sure I can't be the only one whos come across this. Tempted to log the whole thing since the whole thing was boiled so alot of the calories etc will be in the water, but at the same time i'm not actually eating the skin or anything so don't know.
  • MaryMcnz
    MaryMcnz Posts: 39 Member
    Options
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    In the database, it's "Pork-Ham Hock."
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    Thanks, I found the brand hock I have and everything, just wasn't sure whether to just log the small amount of meat that I am putting in off it, and also try and work out the calories of the stock from boiling it, or whether to log the weight of the whole thing preboiled and count the stock as water, if you get what I mean.
    I am thinking with the second link I will just go with "1 oz, with bone (yield after cooking, bone removed) 16", but then I have to work out how much calories are in the stock.
  • obsidianwings
    Options
    I found a ham bone stock in the data base so I am going to use the above calculation for the meat, and the stock in the database. Should be close enough now.