Gastroparesis and losing weight...

Options
Hi MFP family...

Just wondering if there is anyone on here with "Gastroparesis"?

This medical condition prevents food digestion within a normal time range. While I stay within my MFP calorie plan; it's seems hard to drop the weight because my meals don't digest normally.

Looking for any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks.

Replies

• MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I have Gastroparesis and find it incredibly hard to lose weight.
  • jacquii702
    Options
    I'm having that problem too; I'm riding my bike everyday and walking too, but I'm still having a hard time.

I am consuming less than 1200 calories per day; but I feel full all the time.
  • MrsDrk
    Options
    I'm actually planning on trying to juice veggies and fruits just to get them in my diet. Juice and then strain them. As is, I can tolerate small amounts if they are overcooked but that ruins some of the point of eating them.

What do you do for nausea?
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I'm having that problem too; I'm riding my bike everyday and walking too, but I'm still having a hard time.

so, you're biking and walking daily, AND eating less than 1200 in total.

I'd sincerely speak to your doctor.
  • MrsDrk
    Options
    I'm pretty sure her doctor would understand. When my GP flares up, I'm lucky to get 500 calories in a day.

so, you're biking and walking daily, AND eating less than 1200 in total.

I'd sincerely speak to your doctor.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    That's my point... only a doctor is really qualified to answer this.
  • jacquii702
    Options
    What I found that helps besides the meds (which I refuse to take)...is ginger.

I found some ginger candies at a market here; it works okay, but it also has a high suger content. Recently I discovered that a "Superfood" that I usually drink every morning also relieves nausea. So I mix up an extra batch every morning with pure juices, water, and fresh fruit; and take it to work with me.
  • jacquii702
    Options
    I'm currently seeing a physician about every 2 weeks for this condition; I had surgery for it last year, but I don't see the results that I should have.
  • willena12
    Options
    I was just diagnosed with Gastroparesis a couple of weeks ago and my doctor also wanted to put me on medicine that I refuse to take. I asked around and read forums and blogs online and found that people are using Acidophilus (over the counter in the vitamin section) for digestion. While I was told this is something that has to build up in your system, I have seen tremendous improvement over the past couple of weeks. Do a google search for it on-line. I just got the Nature's Bounty brand and take 1-2 day. It's the same ingredients found in yogurt, but who has time to eat 6 yogurts a day lol It may be worth giving it a try. I don't feel as full all the time and my system seems to be getting back on track. Hope this helps!
  • cas122777
    cas122777 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed last week. I went into the hospital weighing 136. 12 days later and after being on liquids only for the entire time, i weigh 127. this is not how i want to lose weight. I had a heck of a time prediagnosis losing weight and am wondering once i get the diet and meal plans straightened out, will the weight come back? despite the liquid only stage, i am still meeting my calorie goal. time will tell, but i am hoping i get all the nutrients a person needs with this modified diet. if anyone would like to chat, feel free to friend me
  • DominiqueSmall
    DominiqueSmall Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Hi MFP family...

Just wondering if there is anyone on here with "Gastroparesis"?

This medical condition prevents food digestion within a normal time range. While I stay within my MFP calorie plan; it's seems hard to drop the weight because my meals don't digest normally.

Looking for any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks.

I'm just curiious but would probiotics or digestive enzymes help. I have a friend that has this condition really bad so I know how much of a challenge it is. I'm so sorry. Hope you find the solution.
  • allisondenelsbeck
    Options
    Hi,
    When I first got diagnosed with GP, it was after three months of not being able to keep anything down. I literally lost 50 pounds in 3 months.. At that point, I was considered underweight at 145 at 5'9". I am now 230 lbs and very unhappy. I would say that zofran (an anti-nausea pill) is the best med to take.. no side effects and very easy. It is stuck under the tongue and it dissolves. It also come in many different flavors. The best thing that I would suggest to do is walk... it help motility better than biking. but besides that, maybe find a nutritionist?
  • whiterabbit2323
    Options
    "Zofran has no side effects"
    This is not entirely true.
    Zofran has long term effects of hand tremors. It is meant as an infrequently taken medicine. It's better to go with something natural, if you can. Probiotics are definitely helpful. You mentioned ginger- it's funny because I thought I may be the only one! Ginger ale is something I ALWAYS keep around for my bad days.
    I too am having the dreaded losing weight scenario. I suppose digestion is the best thing you can focus on. I would keep to your workout routines, but perhaps try something like walking when it's a bad day to help with digestion, but not exacerbate the issue (I know mine gets worse with heavy exercise).
    For people in our condition, luckily, an all liquid diet is NOT a bad thing. Try more supplemental drinks and shakes, and less solids. You'll digest faster and still get the nutrients you need.