Chinese take out

Options
This is my weakness so I have learned to compromise.

What I used to get
1/2 fried rice 1/2 chow mein
1 serving of orange chicken
1 serving of mandarin chicken
2 spring rolls
Dr. Pepper
Calories: over 1000 calories

What I get now
1/2 fried rice or chow mein and then try to eat only half of it
1/2 mixed veggies (70 calories)
2 sides that are under 200 calories each
such as
beef and broccli
Black pepper chicken
mushroom chicken
2 spring rolls
Diet soda and a water cup (must drink at least one cup of water)
Calories: around 700 calories

Yes, this is obviously not "healthy" but realistically I know I'm not cutting Chinese food out of my diet so this is how I have made it better for myself while still enjoying everything.

What steps have you taken to keep all the foods you love in your life?

Replies

• akshayam29
    Options
    just don't look at your calories. Also take a look at your sodium content. I think you should be consuming a lot of it....
  • hufflypuff
    hufflypuff Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    just don't look at your calories. Also take a look at your sodium content. I think you should be consuming a lot of it....

Yes, I know my sodium intake is crazy. I eat plenty of frozen meals as well. I don't look at it. I don't care about it. I watch calories, fat, protein, fiber and iron. I will let my tummy be a bit more bloated than it needs to be. At the point people are watching sodium intake they are just starting to obsess over food or have an issue relating to it.
  • mrsnathanandrew
    mrsnathanandrew Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I watch my sodium purely because I am a major salt addict, and get incredibly bloated lol. That said

I used to get

fried dumplings - 6 of them
    fried rice
    sesame chicken
    2 egg rolls
    sometimes house lo mein instead of sesame chicken

now it's steamed dumplings - i eat 2-3 my fiance eats the rest
    steamed rice
    chicken and broccoli
    and sometimes a spring roll.

I typically only eat that on the day that I have my cheat meal. That, and sushi...yum!
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Yayy for chinese food! My daughter and I have been addicted to a local thai restaurant. I've learned to stay away from the fried chicken like sesame chicken and curries because I want to use more rice to soak up all the delicious curry sauce :-) This week when we went we split a satay chicken appetizer and szechuan chicken lunch size and I came in at just about 450 calories! Yum.. I want to go again now.

I do watch my sodium, I'm so sensitive to it. But if I'm doing high sodium for lunch, I'll do low sodium the rest of the day and push water to wash it out. No sense it denying those treats we love :-)
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Great work!!! Little changes can make a big difference.

For me, Half and Half is a health food. Sounds nuts, but it is a huge improvement over the french vanilla creamer I used to use!
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    love panda! used to eat the fried stuff, now string bean chicken, 160, beef and broccoli, 150 steamed veggies, 70, no rice or anything else. so i still get the taste but not the calories.if im splurging i get the honey walnut shrimp and it adds a few but its still better than i used to do!
  • markymarrkk
    markymarrkk Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Used to eat:

Chowmein/Fried rice
    orange chicken
    BBq pork
    mongolian beef
    Soda
    Cals= 1300+

Now:
    Veggie Entre (no rice, no chowmein)
    beef and Broccoli
    mushroom chicken or string bean chicken
    plain iced tea
    Cals= under 500 and fills me up
  • screening2
    Options
    Yes, exactly. Take out rice and use lettuce leaves to roll pork or the other delicious chinese food.
  • aspen_matthews
    Options
    I like Mongolian BBQ a lot because you can control exactly what's in it, including salt! At my local Chinese restaurant that offers Mongolian BBQ I have the complimentary bowl of egg drop soup (some salt there, but that's the only major thing at the meal) then 1-2 trips of BBQ with no noodles, just tons of veggies and little sauce and no oil at the end. It's super delicious!

For regular Chinese, I avoid the fried rice or noodles (most I'll have a small bit of someone else's) and usually have veggie-based dishes and I like to order low cal soups. I pretty much always drink iced tea.
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options

What I used to get
    2 spring rolls
    Dr. Pepper

What I get now
    such as
    beef and broccli
    Black pepper chicken
    mushroom chicken
    2 spring rolls

Yes, this is obviously not "healthy" but realistically I know I'm not cutting Chinese food out of my diet so this is how I have made it better for myself while still enjoying everything.

Panda Express??? I have to avoid this place no self control! Too many options!
  • hufflypuff
    Options
    Yayy for chinese food! My daughter and I have been addicted to a local thai restaurant. I've learned to stay away from the fried chicken like sesame chicken and curries because I want to use more rice to soak up all the delicious curry sauce :-) This week when we went we split a satay chicken appetizer and szechuan chicken lunch size and I came in at just about 450 calories! Yum.. I want to go again now.

I do watch my sodium, I'm so sensitive to it. But if I'm doing high sodium for lunch, I'll do low sodium the rest of the day and push water to wash it out. No sense it denying those treats we love :-)

My water intake is always around 10+ glasses. It has been 90 degrees the last few days. Definitely helps with the salt intake.
  • hufflypuff
    Options

What I used to get
    2 spring rolls
    Dr. Pepper

What I get now
    such as
    beef and broccli
    Black pepper chicken
    mushroom chicken
    2 spring rolls

Panda Express???

Panda Express!! and also Chinese gourmet express (its a Chinese food place in the mall where I live)
  • mwcraig34
    mwcraig34 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My friends and I could shut down a Chinese buffet! Like they would start to give us dirty looks after our 5th or 6th trip!
  • ChasingSweatandTears
    ChasingSweatandTears Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I used to eat anything Chinese you would offer me :) now I stick to shrimp and veggie stir fry because I don't know what else I can order lol. Do you guys include the sauce? I don't care about sodium right now either. I'm one of the lucky few who has been told to eat more by a cardiologist due to low blood pressure and dizziness with exertion. Which completely goes away if I get enough sodium. I actually started tracking my sodium some days for the opposite reason most people do and I would be happy when I would reach my number. I have 6 different pickled things in my fridge at any given time lol. I do however drink tons of water.
  • LoveMy3Boys
    LoveMy3Boys Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    OMG

I did not know string bean chicken was so low in calories. I can do the veggies and the string bean chicken bowl mmmmmm
  • hufflypuff
    Options
    I used to eat anything Chinese you would offer me :) now I stick to shrimp and veggie stir fry because I don't know what else I can order lol. Do you guys include the sauce? I don't care about sodium right now either. I'm one of the lucky few who has been told to eat more by a cardiologist due to low blood pressure and dizziness with exertion. Which completely goes away if I get enough sodium. I actually started tracking my sodium some days for the opposite reason most people do and I would be happy when I would reach my number. I have 6 different pickled things in my fridge at any given time lol. I do however drink tons of water.

I snack on pickles every day. They are just so yummy. :)
  • loves_jc
    loves_jc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    That is my take on this I will eat some stuff no mater what so I need to learn how to eat it proper. I have to make good choices and try to stay lean and clean most of the time but when I am going to splurg I need to do it with a wise choice. so I am excited that you see that as what you need to do too. You Go Girl
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I only order a main now, and I'll cook up a small portion of rice at home. We don't have much choice in my town, but I know if I order something spicy I'll eat it slower and probably leave leftovers for the next day.