Jogging, pain.

Options
I've been trying to run for the past week, and I've been having this seizing pain up the outside of my lower leg, on both sides from ankle up to my knee. I recently purchased new shoes, but I wasn't fitted for them, would this be the cause of the pain? Any opinions would be appreciated! Thank you so much

Replies

• kassied09
    kassied09 Posts: 397
    Options
    Not enough water? That causes me cramps?
    Stretching afterwards? Works wonders!
    Pushing too much? Been there! Done that!
    Are you cross training? You should!
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same kind of pain. I saw a doctor about it, because it got very severe very soon into my jogging, and he said that I needed to up my calcium and Vit D intake and find another cardio routine for a couple of months. I didn't jog for 2 months and did my best to try and drink a glass of milk everyday and take vit D and calcium supplements everyday. I've been jogging now for a week with no pain. Big relief! I'm not saying this is the answer to your problem though. It could be hurting for many reasons. Just my 2 cents...
  • vixkeri
    vixkeri Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Not enough water? That causes me cramps?
    Stretching afterwards? Works wonders!
    Pushing too much? Been there! Done that!
    Are you cross training? You should!

I am drinking a lot of water, so I don't think it could be that. I stretch before, I haven't thought about stretching afterwards, I'll try that tomorrow. I could be pushing too much, I'm not just running, I'm doing strength training and the elliptical.

Thanks for the suggestions!
  • vixkeri
    Options
    I used to have the same kind of pain. I saw a doctor about it, because it got very severe very soon into my jogging, and he said that I needed to up my calcium and Vit D intake and find another cardio routine for a couple of months. I didn't jog for 2 months and did my best to try and drink a glass of milk everyday and take vit D and calcium supplements everyday. I've been jogging now for a week with no pain. Big relief! I'm not saying this is the answer to your problem though. It could be hurting for many reasons. Just my 2 cents...

Thank you for the advice, I know I'm not getting enough calcium, I'm lactose intolerant. I used to take a calcium supplement, but haven't lately. I go for a well visit to my doctor next week, so I'll bug him about it :) Thanks!!
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Did he check for a pinched nerve in your spine or for degenerative disc disease or a damaged ligament (those can take 1-2 months to heal)?
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Ummm no... I never thought it was anything that serious.. From the looks of it, neither did he!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I seem a little thick (need more coffee) have you just started running or just using new shoes in the past week? (or both)

It almost sounds like shin splints, when I first started running outdoors I got them pretty bad. Usually they're a sign on trying to do too much too soon.

Hope this helps:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-624--529-0,00.html
  • vixkeri
    Options
    Sorry if I seem a little thick (need more coffee) have you just started running or just using new shoes in the past week? (or both)

It almost sounds like shin splints, when I first started running outdoors I got them pretty bad. Usually they're a sign on trying to do too much too soon.

Hope this helps:

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-624--529-0,00.html

It's all good, I didn't give much information. I was a runner in the past, but have stopped for about a year due to an unrelated surgery. So I guess it would be starting running along with new shoes :) Thanks for the artcle. It was informative.