Early Period caused by exercise? ? for the ladies

I got my period 5 days early!!! WTH? :grumble: I guess it's from jogging 3 miles a day. I recently started running daily. 5 weeks now. Has anyone else had this happen? It's normally very predictable at every 28 days. Thanks for any feedback. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• jdm120
    jdm120 Posts: 55 Member
    I have heard of periods stopping altogether because of increased/excessive exercise but I haven't heard of them coming early for this reason. the former condition is called Amenorrhea. Sorry I can't be of more help. Look forward to reading other MFP replies.
  • Ttopeka
    Ttopeka Posts: 160
    Yes, that happened to me this month actually. I began working out (at least a little bit) on a daily basis at the end of last month, and I was a week early this month. I can't think of any other explanation besides the fact that I increased my activity.
  • Jujurenae
    Jujurenae Posts: 15 Member
    I googled it and what I read was..that it's quite normal to have it early and to even skip a whole month. I started working out about 3 months ago and I use to get my period every 35 days. After excersing the past two months I have been every 28 days. So its normal. They said if you skip more than one month you should see a healthcare provider, and be sure to rule out pg and other conditions.
  • LurayneMarie
    LurayneMarie Posts: 342 Member
    Mine stopped for 3 months before Christmas because I drastically increased my exercise routine. They started again in January and have been quite irregular since. Last month it was a week early etc. So I would put it down to the change in your exercise routine and your body is adjusting to that. I haven't been too worried about it cos I know its to do with my fitness regime, if I slack off fitness for a few months everything is pretty normal again.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    I did p90x for abs maybe a few days before my period (about 3 years ago and not having exercised in a while or frequently and regular) and im convinced that it did something to me that cycle. I had extreme cramps. I was crazy (like i was going through some horrendous mood swings). it was just not a fun time. Another time (once I had begin my life on mfp) in the first few weeks or so my period came like 2 weeks after it had just been finished and I was trying to pretend that it wasn't happening but it was. I was getting scared that something had happened to me. I was going to see a doctor but I never did. My cycles have gotten regular again but just in the beginning of exercising regularly i just think the body goes through some shifts so that's my reasoning for why my period would come early, or act different.
  • I also have had mine come early for the past few months...by a few days. Since I've read this happening to others, I'm going to just assume that it is probably due to my exercise routine.

Thanks for posting the question.
  • I have began a workout routine and started my period directly after.. it's completely normal
  • MommyRobin
    MommyRobin Posts: 584 Member
    Thanks for the replies. I have heard of women not getting their period from over exercising, but never coming early. Leave it to me. lol. I wouldn't mind taking a couple months off from Aunt Flo, as long as I knew there was nothing else wrong. Maybe it will be lighter and easier since I'm in shape. Wishful thinking, I know.
  • MelKut
    MelKut Posts: 167 Member
    I also had a question... since January my period has been irregular and extremely light. First it was just spotting, then about two weeks early and spotting, then it was about a week late and not even spotting, I just saw a tiny bit of blood when wiping a few times. I can't be pregnant :embarassed: and I don't really know why its happening. I HAVE picked up short HIIT workouts and been training for a half-marathon, but my body is pretty used to intense workouts so idk...
  • MommyRobin
    I will be scheduling a GYN appointment soon, just to make sure everthing's okay. I haven't seen my doc since I've lost 82 lbs. in the last yr. He's going to be shocked and hopefully proud of me.
  • ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    I've had this happen to me - straight after starting 30ds it came nearly 2 weeks early, I hadn't been exercising regularly before that.
    I'm seeing my dr soon so will check in with her but i've had this sort of thing before on changes in exercise , diet or medication so i'm not too concerned.
  • melanielockard
    melanielockard Posts: 114 Member
    yep, im a 28 day also, and since i have been doing c25k (week 9) mine have come early/late and short/long. its driving me CRAZY!! lol
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Mine was super late last time.. but I also take birthcontrol, so that may have affected.

I plan on asking my doc when I see her in a few weeks.
  • tenikb02
    tenikb02 Posts: 36 Member
    When I had started a weight loss regime previously, I noticed that my body seemed to react within days. I started with spotting and then my period came on early. I am as regular as the sun and the moon, so I was concerned, but my personal fitness gal told me that it was normal.
  • MommyRobin
    Thanks, ladies! :flowerforyou:
  • donlou33
    donlou33 Posts: 20
    I've gone the other way, currently 5 days late and I'm never late. I have been exercising more over the last few weeks but not what I would call excessive. My calorie intake is healthy and has not been reduced drastically and my body fat % is at a healthy level too.
  • sedelagarza
    sedelagarza Posts: 96 Member
    Now that I've been working out more intensely mine comes early but the awesome thing is it only last 3-4 days now instead of my normal 5-7 days
  • MommyRobin
    Now that I've been working out more intensely mine comes early but the awesome thing is it only last 3-4 days now instead of my normal 5-7 days

Same here! My cramps are not as bad either. I used to use it as an excuse not to exercise in PE in High School. Now, I go jog and feel better afterwards.
  • alheimurinn
    alheimurinn Posts: 25 Member
    Yes, has happened to me this month as well - about eight days early. Just hope it doesn't come again when it was supposed to!
  • babyblues31
    babyblues31 Posts: 72 Member
    Ok this just happened to me today (over a week early) and yes I have increased my workouts! However, I am on BCP (birth control pills) so that makes it seem odd to me that it would be out of wack when the pills keep it super regular every month. No way I am pg either.